Thread: Playing with others of different skill levels

Default Playing with others of different skill levels

I play bluegrass and folk-type music, and I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are plenty of jamming opportunities.

The skill level of the other musicians runs the gamut from beginner to professional. I've been playing mandolin for about 4 years (guitar for many more). I have a few fiddle tunes under my fingers and my chop is coming along nicely.

If I'm in a jam with mostly beginners I'm often led astray when the timing is off. When I lead a song, I can usually drive it pretty well.

If I'm with a group of advanced players, it can be demoralizing when I can't keep up. My playing falls apart and I'm often exhausted at the end.

Both extremes seem to be detrimental to improvement.

Any thoughts on which type of situation I maximize my time with? Thoughts on handling each situation?

Default Re: Playing with others of different skill levels

Generally, if you play with people who have better skill sets, you will be inspired to improve your own skill set. I find that if I feel like I am being dragged behind in a jam it will motivate me to practice more, and yes, it is frustrating, but the more you play the better you will get. But pushing yourself to improve isn't a bad thing.

I also realize that playing with those who cannot keep time is frustrating. if these are individuals who are interested in improving their skills, then it might be best to discuss the timing issues with the group. If they are just folks who are content with just getting through the tunes, then maybe it's not the group for you.

Realize that there are some people who get to a certain level with their playing and advance no further. They are pretty much content with what they can do. Sometimes you just outgrow those situations, and it's ok to revisit these groups occasionally, but a steady diet of it can be pretty frustrating.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

gfury 

I am in the same boat as you. Playing mandolin for four years now and play in similar type of jam groups. To me it is all good and getting out and playing with others is always good. Bottom line is what are you trying to get out of it. With the beginner groups I come out feeling good because I can see that my skill level isn't as bad as I thought. When I play with the advanced group I get a little frustrated because I can't keep up but it inspires me to practice more.

Either way I try o see the positive side of the experience. And bottom line I am out meeting people with similar interests and having fun.

5. The following members say thank you to RandyC for this post:

gfury 

I guess it depends on what you want...you feel you’re being dragged in the beg group you may be the dragger in the advanced group. I don’t say that to be a jerk we all are one or the other at different times.

I have a group I go to that has no concept of what a jam is...they don’t know how to pass a tune, play over other people, talk, etc but over time we have encouraged them and some have changed, some stopped coming.

I also sit in an advanced group and try to jump in when I can...I’m the dragger there but the one thing I do is to have rock solid timing so although I don’t play a lot of solos due to the speed I practice rhythm and various chord shapes bass lines, etc.

I think both are good, you are getting out and playing music several times a week/month and having fun. Don’t be too hard on the draggers and don’t be too hard on yourself...just enjoy.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

7. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

gfury 

Keep playing with both and over time you will start gravitating toward the more advanced group, atleast that's how I progressed. I think it is important to take time to just listen and try to find the right chords at times. In advanced jams it is necessary to get a sense of how you are fitting into the mix, know that it is ok to pass a break, but also good to take a shot.

9. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

gfury 

Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to improve and be the best that I can be. I think I'm still on shaky ground.

I definitely don't want to discourage beginners (I was there). It's gratifying when someone asks me to show them something (happens more with guitar). I think it helps solidify my learning.

Is playing for 2 hours when things are off, doing more harm than good?

With advanced players, I've taken to sitting out some songs when I know I have little hope of contributing anything. Gives me a chance to rest my fingers too.

Blog Entries

Playing backup is a tremendously good way to learn to play with both beginners and and advanced players. With beginners it reinforces your timing and teaches you how to keep timing straight with people who don't necessarily do so themselves. With advanced players it allows you to come up to speed gently and reinforces dynamic volume control. With either group you don't have to take a break if you don't want to.

I often hear people complain about playing with people who are below their level of playing, but in reality, learning to play with less accomplished players imparts flexibility and strength, and reinforces everything that more advanced players really want to know about. I think it's very healthy for everyone to play with people who are below their level at least occasionally.

And, playing with people beyond our level pulls us forward tremendously, and honestly, it humbles us, which is also very healthy.

In both cases, it teaches us that the important thing in both jams and in bands is to make everyone else sound good.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Also, between jams try playing along with YouTube videos. You can use the “gear wheel” at lower right to slow tunes down. Programs such as iReal Pro can provide you with accompaniment for any tune. Many “Parking Lot” tunes are available. It requires a bit of input if you want specific tunes that aren’t included, but it’s worth the effort. You can change keys and tempos with ease. It was recommended to me by a well-known teacher and multiple users.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

14. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

gfury 

Playing with others, regardless of your or their ability, is IMO extremely important in progressing as a musician. There will always be players above and below your ability.

Given a choice its better to play with players above your level. I participated in a weekly jam for a few years that was mostly all "permanent beginners" - players with little to no interest in learning anything new. I went for the socialization and the for the couple of guys that did try to learn.

If you think you're pretty good at something, try teaching someone else. You'll learn even more.

16. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

gfury 

Same boat. I am trying to appreciate each group for their assets, and adjust what I am trying to get out of the session accordingly.

When I play with the 'slower' group, I concentrate on keeping good time and modeling good jam etiquette. For breaks, I concentrate on tone production and all those other fundamentals that are best done at slower speeds.

With the 'faster' group, I try to focus on playing the same melodic structures, but just less notes. Like, every other note of Bill Cheatum... still concentrating on quality rather than velocity. I can practice this playing along with MandoLessons videos with the speed adjusted if necessary.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

18. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

gfury 

I play with a beginner group once a week - most of them are "permanent" beginners who only seem to pick up their instruments when we get together, and as time has gone on, I've become the "go to" for how to start a tune, how to switch tunes and to give a pattern to those just trying to hold on by their fingernails. My biggest problem is the mandolin just isn't loud enough to drive the arhythmic into a proper groove, which can be frustrating. But being with the group does help me polish my triplets or tremolo or counter-melody. The downside is sometimes it's just -- well, boring. And frustrating. but we do get the occasional musician who brings new tunes, and that helps a lot. I don't plan on giving up the beginners because I do get to hang with some great people, and that's generally enough if the music is less than spectacular, and it's fun to encourage people.

OTOH, I do play with three other groups of much more accomplished musicians, and i have tons of fun doing that. Playing with better musicians with new tunes has improved my own playing and my repertoire and helped me become more comfortable playing in public. If I screw up, which happens way more than I'd prefer (last week someone said 'let's play St. Patrick's Day but I can't remember how it starts' and I said "no problem" and then launched into Christmas Eve (!)) we all get a laugh. Each group (and yes, there is some crossover) has its own dynamics and i get different things out of them.

At some point, you can always invite a couple of players nearer your comfort level to a private picking party at your home. Music isn't an either/or. It's both.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

20. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

gfury 

Large groups are nice for community but not always for quality music. Find some folks you like to play with and get together so everyone can hear each other in a small group. You sound like you are in the middle of the range you are describing so find some people you like and pick moderate tempi and work together to make good music. Otherwise, you're compromising yourself. That doesn't mean you have to give up the good things about playing with the either group if you can get something out of each.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

gfury 

Yes, what Jim said...I have been getting together with a guitar player from one of the jams over the last year or so and we have great fun just playing tunes or running a tune by the other. We have introduced new tunes to each other and I’ve gotten a lot of experience playing backup for a guitar...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfury View Post
    With advanced players, I've taken to sitting out some songs when I know I have little hope of contributing anything. Gives me a chance to rest my fingers too.
    You will get a lot out of just listening, and eventually, sooner than you think, you will be able to contribute.

As you probably already know, but for those who might not, it is good that they see you there, participating where you can, listening when you don't feel up to the task. Believe me it makes a difference in their motivation to help and encourage that they see you regularly working at it.

As you doubtlessly have discovered, a whole lot occurs at a jam beyond exchange of music. You become a known quantity, folks will tell you about other jams, or invite you to private jams and parties. Folks will share resources (all our tunes are on this website, or these PDFs, or make a copy of this notebook). It is all good, and all part of it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Interesting topic, I've spent a lot of time playing with musicians informally in pubs over the years, and inevitably there is a range of skills at these "gatherings".

My dad always said that the best way to improve at something is to work with people who are better that you. My wise dad also said that the best way to learn something is to teach it. I like both these ideas even if they are somewhat contradictory. This suggests that playing with both more advanced and less advanced people can be a good thing.

One thing that I've experienced is that it is easier to play with good musicians than less good ones, mainly because the timing is more solid, so no need to be intimidated?

For me though, the main criteria for someone that I enjoy playing music with is someone whose company I like. Eg I'd rather jam with a beginner who was interested and aware of their limitations than an "expert" who was arrogant and aloof.

If you are at a jam with wide ranges of ability, then it has to be a good thing that everyone has made the effort of going there, and as long as you basically have a good time and hopefully learning something, then happy days .
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Feb-02-2020 at 7:09pm.

Blog Entries

I really prefer to play with folks a bit ahead of me. I like a jam where I don't know about 2/3 of the tunes. I like being stretched.

That said, it is only a preference, and I tend to play with anyone everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cowham View Post
    For me though, the main criteria for someone that I enjoy playing music with is someone whose company I like. Eg I'd rather jam with a beginner who was interested and aware of their limitations than an "expert" who was arrogant and aloof..
    I think this is an excellent excellent point. Playing music is a kind of conversation, a kind of sharing, and has the same criteria as a friend or acquaintance. I find that those I can't seem to play with, are those I can't seem to get along with anyway.

In today's politically polarized environment I LOVE how music lets me "be friends" and "get along" with and enjoy the company of many many people without having to agree with them or even know what they think about anything. This is a real respite from the world. Sometimes I feel like I am hanging on to music for dear life, with how angry everyone makes me.

But for music I would be a curmudgeon.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

27. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    As you doubtlessly have discovered, a whole lot occurs at a jam beyond exchange of music. You become a known quantity, folks will tell you about other jams, or invite you to private jams and parties. Folks will share resources (all our tunes are on this website, or these PDFs, or make a copy of this notebook). It is all good, and all part of it.
    So true ...

I've met many great folks, and learned about other playing opportunities. I've even been asked to fill in at some gigs (who? me ?).

Thumbs up Re: Playing with others of different skill levels

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I often hear people complain about playing with people who are below their level of playing, but in reality, learning to play with less accomplished players imparts flexibility and strength, and reinforces everything that more advanced players really want to know about.
    I often try to keep this in mind. It seems like the best players have learned an ability to make anyone they play with also sound good.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdpmusic For This Useful Post:

I’m an advanced beginner on mandolin and an early intermediate guitar player. I have been going to many different jams regularly, over the past few years and get something good out of each. As Jeff said, music like sports or any other shared passion, brings diverse folks together to enjoy that common interest and that’s a good thing.

At a very advanced BG jam, I learn new tunes and enjoy listening, when I can’t contribute. I can usually play a pretty solid rhythm on either guitar or mandolin but sometimes they play so fast, I need to sit it out and that’s ok. It’s intimidating taking a break in this group with such good players but I’m just getting to the point where I feel like I can take a simple break on a slow song. My Corona confinement has me woodshedding hard on getting a handful of slightly more advanced breaks up to speed, so I can be more of a contributor when we get back together.

At an open mic jam band with 2/3 better players and 1/3 worse, I am often the only mandolin player and fill a nice spot sonically playing backup on random songs in random keys for the folks who get up tp the mic. I get to stretch my performance and vocal skills (I’m a better singer than player) in front of a live audience when it’s my turn to get up the mic. I have been letting better player’s take the breaks so far, and that’s let me just relax into rest of the performance. Again, when we get back to it, I’m gonna try to start taking the first break on my own songs.

I run a weekly jam that’s geared for beginners. It’s more of a sing/strum along. Chord charts are welcome and available for those that need them. It’s just a relaxed and fun, unintimidating get together. We have some intermediate players and they get a chance to show off and inspire the beginners. Since there are so many beginners, my role (and the bass player when we have one) is to lay down a really strong solid beat with my rhythm playing, to keep folks together. Many beginners struggle with playing and singing (or maybe they are just shy about their singing), so we tend to get a lot more vigorous strumming than singing, and so my other job is to carry the vocals as much as I can (I’m usually on a mic for this reason). I’m not a natural teacher or leader but I do get a lot of enjoyment watching other’s having fun playing with others.

My favorite jam is somewhere in the middle. It’s a small BG jam 5-10 players. 80% are better than me. I would consider most of them to be solid intermediate players, but there are no super-stars. Most can take a break but booboos are not uncommon. Most breaks are not complex. No songs are breakneck speed. It’s a group where I feel like I can try to take a break and if it’s an epic fail, we can all laugh about it and keep going. This group is my sweet spot.

Even jams that are not really my cup of tea, can be fun once in a while. I sometimes go to ukulele jams (with mando, if accepted or uke tuned in 5th) and work on picking out the melody on the fly from ear. I get to practice closed position melody all over the fretboard and am finally playing up the neck. It’s a completely no pressure environment, where I can noodle around. The down side is the music includes some corny stuff that I can only take in small doses.