Thread: Bill Monroe's Actual Pick and Phone Number

Default Bill Monroe's Actual Pick and Phone Number

Check out how puny this Bill Monroe pick is. It is certainly not up to modern material, shape, bevel, or size but it sure got the job done. It measures .040" in thickness and for comparison purposes, it is photographed next to a Blue Chip 60 which measures .060". Shockingly, they sounded quite similar when tested out with my Gilchrist.

Also attached is Bill's phone number in his own handwriting just in case someone would like to book the angel band.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill Monroe's Pick.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	938.5 KB 
ID:	183227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill Monroe's Phone Number.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	800.3 KB 
ID:	183228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill Monroe Fan Club.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	791.2 KB 
ID:	183229  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MojoMando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bill Monroe's Actual Pick and Phone Number

I wonder if Autumn McDaniel, ever gets calls for Bill Monroe?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

Now people can fake Bill’s signature.I started with the same pick made by Fender.It was thin,same shape and white.(357 or 358?)

If you wanted to try a Blue Chip that resembles Mon’s as closely as possible in style and thickness, what model would it be?
    The TD40?

If you wanted to try a Blue Chip that resembles Mon’s as closely as possible in style and thickness, what model would it be?
    The TD40?
    Yes, the TD40 would be the closest because it is exactly the same thickness, but the original Monroe pick is even smaller than the TD and it does not have the Blue Chip bevels. It is safe to assume that Monroe did not use this style pick for his entire career, so the question is what time period did he use it?

I'm no expert but hasn't history shown that Big Mon used whatever was in his pocket? Hot Pink Ernie Ball or otherwise???

9. The following members say thank you to RFMando for this post:

That sure does NOT look like what many modern BG players use! Cool.

Who told the story of picking Mr. Monroe up at the airport? Mr. Bill didn't have a pick, but they found one between the seats in the car. After the show, the question was asked, what kind of pick do you use Mr. Monroe? To which he answered, "This one right here."

I'll bet you can't reach him at that number now.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I'll bet you can't reach him at that number now.
    But what if someone found the old pick and card, called the number now ... and (cue Twilight Zone music) Mr. Monroe did answer?
    What would you ask him?
    What would he say?
    Would he become your musical mentor from the world beyond?

I had a similar situation, years ago, when I toured the James Dean museum in Fairmount, Indiana. Along with his Triumph motorcycle, photos, clothing, movie posters, etc. -- one item stood out -- there was his personal pocket address book in a glass showcase and it was opened to a page that had Liz Taylor's phone number in plain view! I wrote it down, but never had the nerve to call it. (she was still alive at the time...)

With my luck Larry Fortensky would have answered!

15. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

===========

I have a co-worker who used to work for a large music management company in Los Angeles . . . his cellphone is loaded with rock star phone numbers, but we haven't been able to hack it yet . . .

As a memorabilia collector I am curious to know who owns this Bill Monroe stuff, and how did they get it?

p.s. - I just checked my cellphone plan, and calling people in the after-life is not a part of my coverage - so if the number for Mr. Monroe still worked, the bill will probably be quite substantial . . . .

Nashville's original area code was 615. I couldn't resist, so I tried calling the number. The recording said that this number has been disconnected or is no longer in use. I guess they retired Bill's old phone number like a sports star's jersey number.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MojoMando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MojoMando View Post
    Nashville's original area code was 615. I couldn't resist, so I tried calling the number. The recording said that this number has been disconnected or is no longer in use. I guess they retired Bill's old phone number like a sports star's jersey number.
    That’s what happens after the picker who discovered the pick and card and spoke to Mr. Monroe suddenly starts playing so well and coming up with these original but ancient-sounding new tunes.

Eventually, to put a stop to the questions, the picker can’t contain himself any longer and confides his secret to a buddy. But when other people call the number, they just get that recording.

So now, what seemed like a gift from bluegrass heaven comes with a price — as the picker’s friends and family start to question his sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Willis View Post
    That’s what happens after the picker who discovered the pick and card and spoke to Mr. Monroe suddenly starts playing so well and coming up with these original but ancient-sounding new tunes.

Eventually, to put a stop to the questions, the picker can’t contain himself any longer and confides his secret to a buddy. But when other people call the number, they just get that recording.

So now, what seemed like a gift from bluegrass heaven comes with a price — as the picker’s friends and family start to question his sanity...
    Did I mention that these two items were given to me by a mysterious man at a crossroads around midnight?