Thread: Sticky armrest?

Default Sticky armrest?

Hi - I'm donating a mandolin to a good cause and before handing it over, I took the armrest off and was disappointed to see that the clamp "cushions" left residue on the surface of the top. I've used guitar polish but there was definitely some sort of reaction. Got me concerned about my other (nicer) mandolins so I immediately took those armrests off to check. One left a bit of shadow on my old Gibson A3 - it's not a big deal and no issue on my 2018 Girouard but now I'm gun shy and don't want too reinstall them. Too bad because I really do like the positioning. I'll play for a while without - probably something I can get used to pretty easily.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or is there a fix for this? Was thinking maybe something between the instrument body and the cushion but that gets pretty precise and I'd still worry about "bleed through" over time, I think.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

Default Re: Sticky armrest?

Best fix is to leave the armrest on the mandolin. I've got armrest on my 3 and they will stay on if I should part with one.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

3. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

If you want an armrest, scrape off the substance the mfg. calls cork from the clamps, go to a thrift shop and buy a cheap real leather handbag, trace the
    armrest clamps onto the leather, cutout the leather and place it between clamps and Mando.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    If you want an armrest, scrape off the substance the mfg. calls cork from the clamps, go to a thrift shop and buy a cheap real leather handbag, trace the
    armrest clamps onto the leather, cutout the leather and place it between clamps and Mando.
    Now that makes sense! What a great idea. Thank you! I have some pieces I trimmed off Lakota Leather straps that might work just right. Thanks again, I'm on it! I really do like the armrest and was bummed to pull it off, plus it looks nice.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Blog Entries

I would not reinstall without changing the backing material to something that will not react to your mandolin top - or at least not react with the tops on the expensive ones that your heirs would like to resell or keep for themselves.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I would not reinstall without changing the backing material to something that will not react to your mandolin top - or at least not react with the tops on the expensive ones that your heirs would like to resell or keep for themselves.
    I'm with you. Seems like the leather suggestion makes sense? I have a leather strap under the fretboard (A model) and see no signs of anything on the body, so probably OK, I think. But yes, that was my whole concern. I don't mind playing nicks and dings but if I can avoid outright damage, of course, I'd like to do so.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Nuthin' but leather for me. Never a problem and no marks or residue.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.