Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is an arm rest a benefit to technique ?

Default is an arm rest a benefit to technique ?

Hi all,

I am interested in learning to play the mandolin and might buy a Northfield Calhoun.
    For an extra $40 charge Northfield offers for sale an arm rest. Would an arm rest be of some benefit to learning correct playing technique?
    Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

DG

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: is an arm rest a benefit to technique ?

An armrest is not necessary ... could it possibly be a benefit? I'd have to say yes. I like having an armrest and people have reported that it helps with their right hand position. Not all people, but some people. You can learn good technique both with and without an armrest, and using one would be a personal preference IMO.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

jasona 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    An armrest is not necessary ... could it possibly be a benefit? I'd have to say yes. I like having an armrest and people have reported that it helps with their right hand position. Not all people, but some people. You can learn good technique both with and without an armrest, and using one would be a personal preference IMO.
    Thanks for the reply. Also, I appreciate the "Advice for Mandolin Beginners" link in your signature and I will spend some time viewing those videos.

5. The following members say thank you to DGtryin for this post:

I agree with Mark that an arm rest is not essential, but I think they can help in a few ways. They can help keep you from dampening the sound of the mandolin by keeping your arm off the top. They can also elevate the wrist enough to help you develop better right hand technique, by holding your wrist straighter. Like all things in the mandolin technique arena, opinions vary and no one thing applies to all players. That said, from my perspective, developing good technique from the beginning gives one a better foundation to grow on, and I believe they do provide the benefits I mentioned. I am a happy user of Cumberland Acoustics arm rests.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Everyone’s different, an armrest may help you maintain a ‘good’ posture, but what is sure is that to be able to play the mandolin then you’re going to need muscles.

I’ve found that if I go for a run or some long hikes then it’s much easier (a week or so later) to hold the instrument and do the long hours of practice that are necessary to progress. It depends on a lot of different factors as well as how active and healthy you are in your daily life.

I never played with an armrest but a recently acquired mandolin has one and I like it. It is pretty minimal though and ergnomically designed. If I ever got one for another mandolin i would want one like that. OTOH I don't know if I ever need another armrest.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Nope. But if it makes you feel more comfortable, have at it.

10. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I never played with an armrest but a recently acquired mandolin has one and I like it. It is pretty minimal though and ergnomically designed. If I ever got one for another mandolin i would want one like that. OTOH I don't know if I ever need another armrest.
    Here's mine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	183199 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	183200
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I like using one and found that it did help with my right hand position. YMMV. Also, my first instrument had pretty sharp edges and the armrest kept the dents in my forearm down.

Ha, ha, I thought the question was about a fret arm rest!
    -and putting your feet up, or laying in a hammock, does this benefit your technique?!
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jan-29-2020 at 6:14am.

Tried one, not for me.

Armguard
    pickguard
    toneguad

all no

Right Guard

yes

16. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I had to put one on to defend the finish from my acidic sweat. It does slightly change your arm position. I did not notice that it took a great deal of getting used to. I have now worn the finish off the arm rest. Soooo mission accomplished. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Tried one, not for me.

Armguard
    pickguard
    toneguad

all no

Right Guard

yes
    Right Guard: Don't get dressed without it

It's a good product but I have never considered using it on a mandolin. Maybe a banjo

19. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

If you wanted to try one out, I’m other other makers would take a return. I let my customers exchange or refund. In most cases you’d just be out the shipping. Another option would be listing it on the Cafe classifieds

Arm rests may benefit the mandolin more than the player's technique. Saves wear and sweat damage on the finish. I've found that the radius on an arm rest makes playing for extended periods less rough on my piking forearm as well.

I have one on one mandolin, but have other mandolins without one. Don’t really see a difference. In the beginning it seemed like a big change, now not so much.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I have a couple of beautiful flamed-maple McClung arm rests, one on an A-style, one on an F-style, and have experimented quite a bit with them. I bought them after hearing that they would protect the mandolin finish AND put my arm at a better picking angle. My current feeling is that I'm actually slightly more comfortable picking without them. I do like the looks, though, and I like the McClung tilt. As for protecting the mandolin, you might be protecting that top edge but if you have a varnish finish you're going to leave marks on top and bottom from the arm-rest mount.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

It is personal preference. I love Doug Edwards' and Spencer Oliver's arm rests and have one or the other on all of my mandolins. I would try it and see if it works for you. If it does, great! If not, I'm sure it would be an easy resell here on the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here's mine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	183199 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	183200
    Jim, that is really a beautiful armrest. I love the "floating" extension. Is it custom, are they available? I've never seen one like it.

On a smaller body octave mandolin, it helps with my right hand technique. On my others mandolins, it doesn't really help, but do have them on two instruments.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I like the fact that I don't have a sharp crease in my right arm when I use an armrest. Also in the summer, it protects the finish from sunscreen, insect repellant, and sweat - of course, there are other ways of of protecting the finish, but it is more comfortable than a long sleeved shirt in a North Carolina July, and looks better than a towel draped over the bass bout of the mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Jim, that is really a beautiful armrest. I love the "floating" extension. Is it custom, are they available? I've never seen one like it.
    It came with my Campanella. I don’t know if he makes them separately. I also got one by Lynn Dudenbostel which is also pretty small. I just put it on my Brentrup mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

I like my Doug Edward's armrest for how it helps my right hand float free. I also use a Tone guard, but mostly to help keep my A style mandolin still and in the correct position. I also like finger rests for knowing where my right hand is. None of these are necessary.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I have a mandolin with one on it and I love it ! I have another without one and I love it !

It's a not having a sharp bound edge jabbing my forearm, solved by armrest..

rounded unbound edge its un needed...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

32. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: