Thread: Wedding music

Default Wedding music

My sister in law asked me to play at her wedding and I responded affirmatively with an enthusiasm that might have implied I'm a little (way) better than I actually am.

Any suggestions for pieces to learn? I have until October.

Default Re: Wedding music

PS I also play flute and viola and for some reason there's an alto recorder in my box of music stuff. And maybe a penny whistle coming in the mail (I'm addicted). And I'm rusty at all of it.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Will you be singing? I'm partial to Bob Dylan's Wedding Song
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Jesu Joy of Man's desiring? In fact the version I have is indistinguishable from the flute score to a piano and flute arrangement.
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

And what wedding would be complete without Pachabel . https://www.hangoutstorage.com/mando...8221192017.pdf
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

Are you playing background music for the reception, or for the ceremony itself? I was in a wedding-focused duo for a while with a guitar player, and we did both.

Background music was a selection of Irish trad tunes, which goes down well with many weddings because it's light music, not a stiffly formal as Classical but still sounds classy. Playing for the reception is an easy gig because it's just background music. People appreciate that you're there, but they're not really listening closely.

For the ceremony, an-often requested standard for the processional to the altar is the Taco Bell... er, I mean the Pachelbel Canon in D. Which I will be happy never to hear again in my life, but people like it. You only have to learn the part people recognize, not the whole thing, and it sits well on mandolin. We used to suggest the Irish jig "Banish Misfortune" for the recessional; a lively tune and the name helps sell it.

Depending on where it's being held, you may need amplification. Outdoors can work okay acoustically if you're just doing reception music, but you might want amplification outdoors if you're doing the ceremony.

My-husband-the-guitar-player and I played as a duo for my nephew's wedding -- trad Irish for the time between when people started arriving and the service, then we played -- as a request from the bridge -- Into the West from the Lord of the Rings for the processional, and Maury's Wedding for a recessional. It was an outdoor wedding (in October) in the formal garden at a fancy estate. They had a DJ for the party afterward. Seemed to go over well.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Will you be singing? I'm partial to Bob Dylan's Wedding Song
    Well.... that's like... another level of miscommunication I hadn't even considered. Thanks for asking - because I should probably make it clear to her that I cannot sing.

Good song though - Maybe I should see if any of my singing friends is interested and I can pay a singer as part of her gift.

I'm not sure exactly what she wants - I was assuming pre-ceremony but she has barely even announced the engagement so maybe even she doesn't know.

I used to play in string quartets before weddings so I'm down with the suggestions that have come in so far. I probably even have "3rd violin" parts to Canon in D somewhere from which I can reconstruct the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Are you playing background music for the reception, or for the ceremony itself? I was in a wedding-focused duo for a while with a guitar player, and we did both.

Background music was a selection of Irish trad tunes, which goes down well with many weddings because it's light music, not a stiffly formal as Classical but still sounds classy. Playing for the reception is an easy gig because it's just background music. People appreciate that you're there, but they're not really listening closely.

For the ceremony, an-often requested standard for the processional to the altar is the Taco Bell... er, I mean the Pachelbel Canon in D. Which I will be happy never to hear again in my life, but people like it. You only have to learn the part people recognize, not the whole thing, and it sits well on mandolin. We used to suggest the Irish jig "Banish Misfortune" for the recessional; a lively tune and the name helps sell it.

Depending on where it's being held, you may need amplification. Outdoors can work okay acoustically if you're just doing reception music, but you might want amplification outdoors if you're doing the ceremony.
    I do know she said food trucks, non-formal attire, kids... and my in-laws are Irish so some ITM would probably be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Heady View Post
    I do know she said food trucks, non-formal attire, kids... and my in-laws are Irish so some ITM would probably be welcome
    Sounds like it will be a truly fun wedding!

Some of the pieces from Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks or Water Music would be worth a look and listen..

Some O’Carolan tunes would work. Most are easy to play, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    Some O’Carolan tunes would work. Most are easy to play, too.
    I second this.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

David Grisman's "Newly Wedding"
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    And what wedding would be complete without Pachabel . https://www.hangoutstorage.com/mando...8221192017.pdf
    It starts normally, the ending is weak (I think), but there's a whole lot of fun in between:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5_xj_yuhs