Thread: Is this really worth $70k?

Default Is this really worth $70k?

I'm new here, and was just browsing the classifieds, and found this. Is this really worth $70k? That seems...insane, even for a collector. Who would dare play such a valuable instrument? Just curious.
    1996 Rigel G-110

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this really worth $70k?

Well it is priced very high considering! I've played this one and it really does have the coveted Loarish tone and superior volume! Its a monster sounding early Fern! But 70K is really reaching, I'd say maybe 45-50? And yes people play the oldies, I play a December 1st 1924 Loar with a Virzi and a 26 Fern and 34 Fern out all the time! Once you have a rare Loar or vintage Fern you want to play them as that's what they are for! Many others have more vintage F-5's than myself and play them, rotate them etc...There are great high end mandolins built today but only so many of the originals as they sure are not making anymore! For myself and others nothing is like the old vintage F-5's!

Its all in what someone wants, and there really is no substitute for the old stuff, they just have a certain appeal/presence and all the nostalgia that goes with them! When playing something so valuable one just needs to be very mindful and one always watches where they set em down, as long as they are taking care of they will continue to make music. They've already outlived many owners when they are reaching 100 years of age!

Life is short so get what one wants if you can afford it! There is just something about playing on the first F-5's that millions of copies have evolved from since the first ones!

CJ is a monster player who does so for a living. There’s a video out there somewhere of him talking about this mandolin, it’s story, and work he put into it to get it into its present condition. It’s a great sounding mandolin. Will I buy it? Nope...this is a hobby for me and I’ve got kids in college, lol. Is it worth $70,000? The market will determine that...
    Chuck

Mandolins -- and houses, cars, autographed baseballs, antique Coke bottles, and Beanie Babies -- are "worth" what the seller can get the buyer to pay. A mid-'20's Gibson "Fern" is a top-flight mandolin, only a step below a signed Lloyd Loar F-5. Is a Stradivarius violin exhumed from a closet worth $10 million? The auction will determine what its market value is.

The question of the intrinsic "worth" of any object, beyond what it may fetch on the market, is 'way above my pay grade.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

What it comes down to..... what is it worth to you. End of story
    If the question is even asked, concerning a value, one can assume that the item is not worth it to the one posing the question.
    The old saying goes “if you’re asking how much it costs, you probably can’t afford it”. Parallel process
    John D

7. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

I repeat myself:
    “Askin’ ain’t sellin”
    It’s a great mandolin I'm sure, CJ has excellent taste in mandolins, and knows what he wants. He clearly states that he wants to proceed with a new venture but, does not need feel forced to sell it.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I keep asking myself what this beat up old mandolin is worth. It's hard to picture this as the most valuable Gibson mandolin ever built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73987_front_display.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	186179  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

As to the other part of your question ... yes all kinds of mandolinists play instruments of that and much higher value ($150,000) at concerts and festivals on a regular basis. Players like Chris Thile, John Reischman. Ronnie MCCoury etc etc. In some cases as in violins, old Martin guitars, mandolins can become part of the performance as in the case of Stradivarius violins valued in $ millions.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

12. The following members say thank you to rockies for this post:

buy 'em, play 'em, enjoy 'em, don't live life in fear...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Fair Market Value? What a willing Seller and a Willing Buyer!

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    buy 'em, play 'em, enjoy 'em, don't live life in fear...
    That said....hold my beer and watch this.