Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tenor

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default New tenor

Looks like a new tenor has been released by Recording King.
    Said to retail @ $199
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3EED5089-8973-4B73-9690-DC8BC2A0ED6E.jpeg 
Views:	307 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	183178

Name:	12A6709B-2B74-44FE-86C7-06A81DFA5012.jpeg 
Views:	300 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	183179

2. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Default Re: New tenor

Note to self: Uh-oh.

Has it been announced? I'm not seeing it on their site as yet. I'm sure that's coming shortly.

Interesting! That's the only place I see it online - not on the RK site or any of the big box stores. Here's what they say for specs:

"Recording King Dirty 30's Series 7000 Tenor Guitar
    Spruce Top, 23" Scale Length, Cross Lap Bracing, Bone Nut and Saddle, 1 1/4 Nut Width, Bound Soundhole, Checkboard Pufling, Matte Finish"

It's 000 sized, which is bigger than any other production tenor out there now, and certainly sets it apart from the competition.
    The "7" means it's all-laminate construction - which explains the low price point.

Curious to hear how it sounds, and maybe if it does well enough they'll put it out at least a solid-top version.

More available options in our little Tenor world. Solid top would be nice though. It should punch out some sound with that body. I am not familiar with Cross Lap Bracing??? Is this a form of ladder bracing?

I had emailed them during last summer about possibly introducing a tenor guitar model into there lineup since at one point they did offer a tenor banjo. They told me that they had received countless emails requesting one and that it was something that they were looking into. I am glad they did - it would be nice if they offered an acoustic/electric version for people that play out but I am at least thankful that they came out with one

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    According to Ross at banjoteacher.com, none in stock currently. Not coming out until March.

Received this from Recording King:

"Hi Huck, it's not rumored, it's real! We'll release more details when we are readying them to ship to dealers, probably early spring. It's in the Dirty 30s line, so has similar specs to those guitars:

Spruce Top
    23" Scale Length
    Cross Lap Bracing
    Bone Nut and Saddle
    Checkerboard Purfling

Street price when released will be $189.99"

10. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

fox 

So does "spruce top" mean solid spruce top, or will it be a laminate?

Wonder if that means a solid spruce top?

- - - Updated - - -

Ha ha snap!

13. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

bbcee 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    It's in the Dirty 30s line, so has similar specs to those guitars
    The 7000 series has laminate tops. I suspect that if it were solid, it would say so.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Received this from Recording King:

Street price when released will be $189.99"[/B]
    It's just a guess, but if it had a solid top it would probably cost more than $189.99.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Now showing on their website.

https://www.recordingking.com/rost7ts

"Recording King’s mid-20th-Century vibe continues with the introduction of the Dirty 30s Tenor Guitar. Featuring enhanced sonic benefits from RK’s exclusive CrossLap bracing and bone nut and saddle, this comfortable 23" scale tenor guitar is sure to introduce the joy of playing tenor to a whole new audience.

Players have been asking Recording King designers for years to release an affordable tenor guitar in the Dirty 30s style. The Recording King Series 7 Tenor guitar gives jazz, folk, and old-time guitarists (and banjo players!) a high-value, mojo-packed, great-sounding tenor to add to their collections.

The tenor guitar, generally tuned CGDA, has long been a staple of old-time players and has continued to pique the interest of the mainstream musicians looking to augment their sound.

Recording King’s Series 7 Tenor Guitar has a familiar 000-size body, with the same retro aesthetic as other Dirty 30s models. The 23” scale makes it easy to navigate the entire fretboard, and the bone nut & saddle insure resonance at all the string contact points. RK’s exclusive CrossLap bracing results in an extra-responsive top to help you cut through the mix.

There are a few other tenor guitars on the market, but none that pack the Series 7’s combination of excellent tone, vintage mojo and incredible value."

SPECIFICATIONS
    Model: ROST-7-TS
    Body Shape: 14th Fret OOO
    Top Material: Spruce
    Back Material: Whitewood
    Side Material: Whitewood
    Top Bracing Pattern: Cross Lap Bracing
    Top Braces: Sitka Spruce
    Neck Material: Mahogany
    Fretboard Material: Ovangkol
    Scale Length: 23"
    # Of Frets Clear: 14
    # Of Frets Total: 20
    Nut Material: Bone
    Nut Width: 1-1/4"
    Headstock Overlay: Black
    Headstock Inlay: None
    Tuning Machines: Nickel w/ Ivory Buttons
    Body Binding: Ivory Top Binding
    Rosette: Bound Soundhole
    Top Purfling: None
    Fretboard Inlays: Dots
    Fretboard Binding: None
    Bridge Material: Ovangkol
    Bridge Shape: Straight
    Saddle: Bone
    Bridge Pins & Endpin: Ivory color
    Pickguard: None
    Finish: Satin

Name:	7 000.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	183558
    Last edited by Huck; Feb-10-2020 at 7:43am. Reason: Added picture

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

I would guess that will be laminated top, sides, and back. It does look good and the price is right though. I'd be tempted to buy one though just because.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

If they're going to the bother of making a tenor guitar, why don't they produce it with the fret markers in the right place?
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

20. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Since they don't say "Solid Spruce" for the top it's most definitely a laminated top. With the price of the Blueridges now, though, this is a great alternative for someone who wants to try tenor guitar but doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money. I think it will probably sell pretty well.

I just ordered one from Thomann here in Germany. They´ll order one for me and I should get it in about 3 months... the price is 189 Euro about 205 USD. If someone got one before I would be happy about a video
    Gibson F2 1916
    Hartmann A Oval 2017
    Hartmann Two Pointer 2018
    Kimble J 2020

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkusSpiel For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I just recently bought a Kala Tenor. It was the same price. Absolutely GORGEOUS sound. Two members of my family came out of their rooms and asked: "What is that? It's beautiful!" And it wasn't my playing.

In my experience, "spruce" means it's laminated. "Solid Spruce" means it's spruce, but not necessarily one piece. But the thing is, a laminated guitar can sound just as good--or better--than a solid top. It depends on the maker and, frankly, luck.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

25. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

fox 

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I just recently bought a Kala Tenor. It was the same price. Absolutely GORGEOUS sound. Two members of my family came out of their rooms and asked: "What is that? It's beautiful!" And it wasn't my playing.

In my experience, "spruce" means it's laminated. "Solid Spruce" means it's spruce, but not necessarily one piece. But the thing is, a laminated guitar can sound just as good--or better--than a solid top. It depends on the maker and, frankly, luck.
    The same is true with standard 6 stringers as well. I do have a Kala Tenor, and am wanting a second, and am torn on this or the Ibanez AVT1 parlor sized tenor. The Blueridges look nice, but why the sudden jump in price? At any rate, I may wind up being the guinea pig here and getting this to give us a review. If ordering from the banjo teacher site, I do have they do a set-up on them, as I know our local guitar store that sells Recording King products told me they have had to set them up before selling them.

Ross @ banjoteacher.com was hoping for a March release. Received this from Recording King when inquiring on the release date:

"It will probably be early May, but that's not set in stone."

I also have a recent Kala Tenor set up in Chicago tuning. I’m pleased with it especially at its price point. I’m curious regarding the Blueridge tenors. As the higher end models are approaching a used Martín or a Gibson made, how do they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I’m curious regarding the Blueridge tenors. As the higher end models are approaching a used Martín or a Gibson made, how do they compare?
    There's been a fair amount written about them on this forum.

To summarize:
    • Everyone who owns one loves it for the most part. (Highly Recommended 23" scale)
    • Some can hear the difference between the BR-40 (Mahogany) and the BR-60 (Santos Rosewood), others can't.
    • The BR-70 is the tricked out model with lots of bling, but otherwise the same as the BR-60.

I happen to like my BR-60. I find the body size is great - projection is loud enough - and it is stylish. No vintage problems to worry about & has a truss rod. Exact copy of a Martin O18T from my understanding.

Can't compare to a Martin or Gibson, as I don't own them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I’m curious regarding the Blueridge tenors. As the higher end models are approaching a used Martín or a Gibson made, how do they compare?
    My Blueridge BR-60T sounds amazing and I'm very happy with it. The current prices though are a bit steep. The Martin O-18T was only available with Mahogany back and sides. I like the sound of rosewood back and sides which the Blueridge BR-60T has. My recommendation would be to try to find a used Blueridge tenor guitar that's in good shape. I don't know if I could recommend buying a new one at the current prices, but I would definitely recommend getting one if you can get one at a good price.

How much is a BR 40t in the states?

It is not just that model Blueridge that has seen price hikes, at least where I live all their guitars have gone up in price.
    Personally I think they have always been high end instruments but were previously very cheap!

Interestingly there does not seem to be any factory videos or indeed much info about the factory in any form!

Many of my friends and many of the top musicians in my area favour the top end, six string models over any other manufacturer.

They all seem to be well made, I find the tenor guitars are overbuilt with heavy bracing but they still sound superb.
    If you ever get the chance to handle and play any of the high end six strings ... take it because they are beautiful pieces.
    Last edited by fox; Mar-20-2020 at 2:35am.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    how much is a br 40t in the states?
    Here you are fox:

40 $685
    40 cutaway/electric $860
    60 $790
    70 $975

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...oustic-guitars