Thread: Home Recording - best bang for buck

Blog Entries

Default Home Recording - best bang for buck

Hi, Everyone:

Hope you're well!

I'm looking to get into doing some home recording and am hoping you have suggestions regarding high-quality, easy to use, minimal setup recording equipment. I would like to play into a microphone to do the recording, and also to be able to work and mix multiple tracks.

Thanks for any tips!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Default Re: Home Recording - best bang for buck

Just went through this research. any recording software you run on your computer will have some learning curve, but has best bang for the buck. I bought a Presonus 2 input interface that came with Studio One software. This was widely reviewed as easier than other systems to learn. A lot of capability for ~$140. I still watched 10 hours of tutorials before I recorded anything, and I still have much to learn.

If you want easy to use, something like a Zoom R8. Enough tracks to do some useful stuff.

The Spire Studio is easy to use, allows multi-tracking, minimal set up - had one for awhile and quite liked it, but sold it because I was clearing stuff out due to an impending move back to Ireland.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

A computer, an audio interface, a microphone and a DAW (digital audio workstation)

The DAW means "recording studio software" and there are many to choose from, some are free like audacity, and some are free already included on certain laptops or computers, some are paid and can be expensive, sometimes one is included in any audio interface you might buy, as was the case with previous poster Vince. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface several years ago and it came with Ableton DAW so I still use that one.

The audio interface is the box where you plug in your instrument or microphone and should have a USB port to go to your computer. Do a search at ebay, amazon, etc. and research those.

Microphone: You can hardly go wrong with the old standard Shure microphone as a first mic IMO. That would be the SM57 or the SM58, you can get one for $100 or a little less, just be sure it's genuine. There are better mics of different types (I have some condenser clip on mics for instruments) but the Shure mics are good, generally rugged, entry level warhorses IMO.

-OR-

You can skip all of this and start with a Zoom product (like Vince suggested) and use the built-in mics until you're ready to buy mics.

Lots of choices available, IMO, those are the two economical ways to get started.

Oh, I forgot ... you'll also need good quality headphones!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I like the entry level programs from the likes of Pro Tools or others. I use MOTU because I've had friends who used Digital Performer and I'm a Mac guy already. I always like to use at least one level above what would work OK, so I bought a Rode NT2 instead of an NT 1, and Shure SM 81s instead of a cheaper small diaphram condenser. But you first mic should be an SM 57. They are just too useful not to have one.

Now two mic channels will do most anything you are likely to do now, but there will come a time, take it to the bank, when you'd like to stereo mic a guitar and sing, or you want to record the trio you are not a part of yet, so I'd go four inputs on your interface. Gear has never been cheaper, for sure. The biggest extravagance I allowed myself is buying a Mac Mini solely for recording. The other was a desk mount scissor mic stand like broadcasters use. Huge convenience that.

There is a lot to be said for a package of interface and software, also for using gear your musical friends are using. Once you have something stick with it. Try not to get sucked into the sinkhole money pit. A $2000 mic into a $2000 mic pre is going to sound great, just like a Dudenbostel, Heiden, or Gilchrist will. But a Weber Gallatin can sound great too.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

+1 on the PreSonus kit.
    There are some great bundle offers that include a decent enough mic, headphones, stand pop shield, cables, and software.
    These come in around $200-$220 you can get them with monitor speakers for just over $300.
    They'll get you up & running with good quality audio and do the job until you want to go for a full home studio with desk.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

The Zoom LiveTrak L-8 (12 and 20 also) intrigues me. Can be used as a live mixer, an audio interface, and a stand alone multitrack recorder with overdubbing. The L-8 even runs on batteries and has podcasting features as well. It includes 4 headphone outs, so you could track a small group with everyone having a headphone out. If you play in a small group, it could be an amazing little mixer with huge functionality. The preamps are way better than the R8 and R16 from the reviews I've read.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

8. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I have been trying to figure out this home recording myself, so this thread is exactly what I need to read. One thing you might want to consider is BandLab, their recording software is free and also includes Cakewalk. For microphones one that has caught my eye for the past few weeks is the Apogee HypMiC. At $350 its not cheap but does include the interface and "analog compression software.". My interest is that it will work with tablet or iPhone and either GarageBand or BandLab (and others). The downside is that I don't know if it will record better than my Zoom H2n. The H2n does not interface with my phone , I also have trouble eliminating background noises . Also $350 can buy a very good stand alone microphone. I have used BandLab, it is very easy to use. I have not used the Apogee HypMiC.

The issue I have with the cheaper gear that is plentiful in the marketplace is the same as I have with buying a $300 mandolin. Yes, it will get you up and running, but will have you lusting for mo better and if you go the upgrade path, cost you more in the long run. But like the cheaper mandolins, cheaper audio has never been better. I guess it comes down to each person's seriousness. Back to the mandolin analogy, $300 good, $1000 better.

My studio is primarily used to sketch out original song material, rip MP3s to send others as a rehearsal tool, etc. One day my wife asked me if there was any way I could get rid of my rackmount gear. I said I could get rid of all of it with one 6x6x1 box. Much to my surprise, she said do it, so I bought a MOTU Track 16, which came with it's own software. I think it was about $600. I've had it for five or six years now, and it does everything I want it to. It's a digital mixer I could gig with, has USB and Firewire and bluetooth conectivity. I just run firewire into my Mac Mini. You do need a Mac to run their software, but it's been a bargain over time. I wish it had more XLR inputs, but I could just get however more I want. The firewire will support up to 16 , hence the name. I've got to think the $200 solution would have been long gone. So bang for your buck can be $200 or $2000.

There are a ton of YouTube videos these days on budget gear you might find helpful.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I'd suggest this:
    https://www.amazon.com/UR22-MKII-RP-.../dp/B01MSN3RUP

Will work with PC or Mac.
    Nice Steinberg USB interface.
    You'll want the closed-ear phones for multi-tracking (included here).
    The mic looks very much like an AT-2020.
    Comes with Cubase software, which is an excellent blend between power and ease-of-use. Best of all, the hardware/software integrate together.

You'll need an XLR mic cable and a mic stand (get one with a boom).

I never got beyond Garage Band. Its very easy and came on my laptop. I bought a used Scarlet interface for 50 dollars off craigslist. That is all you need for basic stuff assuming you already have a mic, cable, and stand. I am sure I don't know what I'm missing and I'm OK with that. I'm not trying to break into the national music scene with demo quality recordings. Recording is a rabbit hole I didn't have the inclination to dive into. In fact its a skill set akin to learning an instrument. To get professional grade mixing and mastering expect to put in your 10,000 hours learning recording. To be a basic weekend warier recorder though, you don't need more than above.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I always recommend a two stage process for recording.

1. Something like a Zoom R series to capture audio, and:

2. Import the tracks to a PC, use a DAW for editing / mixdown, adding effects, topping and tailing tracks, and rendering your final mix as a usable file. You can produce CD-ready wavs or convert to MP3s for distribution on the web.

You need a good audio interface and a high quality set of headphones at the very least to hear your work.

I've never liked being chained to a computer to track, and a portable recorder is optimized to do this, saving silently to flash drive memory.

I have a project coming up in April to track an acoustic band live, and it's pretty easy to set up my Zoom R24 to do the basic tracking with. The mixing and everything else will be done back at my computer later.

You might find something of value at my old postings about simple homestyle recording here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html
    rudy44

Quote Originally Posted by vince f View Post
    Just went through this research. any recording software you run on your computer will have some learning curve, but has best bang for the buck. I bought a Presonus 2 input interface that came with Studio One software. This was widely reviewed as easier than other systems to learn. A lot of capability for ~$140. I still watched 10 hours of tutorials before I recorded anything, and I still have much to learn.

If you want easy to use, something like a Zoom R8. Enough tracks to do some useful stuff.
    I also use studio one, which I got when I bought a blue yeti. For a few hundred bucks it gives me everything I need (so far!)

the ur22 is a good buy, I already have the full cubase in my studio , but i got one of these for the house , for practice and new songs ,

It's a great time to get into home recording. I use an Imac as my home computer so my path was:

Garage Band: Free.
    Logic Pro X: $199.

Apogee Duet (look for open box or used for around 200-300)
    Apogee Element 46 (we got used for 650)

At $850 I have a studio that I never need to upgrade. A pretty great deal. We've made 2 CDs and are starting the next one. It's a good time for DIY.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have been doing home recordings for about 10 years. My equipment is pretty simple:
    1) HARDWARE: any method below will work:
    1a) an USB audio interface (I use Lambda box which I own long long time ago)
    1b) a microphone plugged into the MIC port of the PC with out this USB audio interface
    (laptop has built in MIC so no need for microphone).
    1c) an USB microphone

The first method also allows me to plug my guitar in it and record without a microphone. The two next methods only records thru microphone.

2) SOFTWARE: Audacity on my PC (FREE), not too complicate to learn.

Since I already have a mixer with effects, I found that mixer -> USB audio -> PC gives me the best recording quality and a lot of flexibility.
    If you use a mixer with USB output, you don't need USB audio at all.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i interface, Garage Band, and a AudioTechnica AT2020 microphone. All pretty basic stuff, but it's been fun to learn on. It's been very interesting learning to work with multiple tracks, EQing, mixing, etc.