Thread: Early flatiron mandolin prices rise help?

Default Early flatiron mandolin prices rise help?

I have a very early Carlson signed Flatiron F5 i am thinking of selling.1984
    I am sure i have seen massive price jumps in the value of these early instruments.
    Has anybody else seen this and can give me more info.
    Dont want to sell cheap,Thinking of hanging on if this is the case.
    Steve Carlson now is starting again which may give value to these early works.
    It is a heck of a mandolin.
    Any thoughts welcome.
    thanks
    C

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Early flatiron mandolin prices rise help?

While the early pre-Gibson Flatirons are highly regarded, I have not seen the “massive price jumps” of which you speak. There’s a 1984 that’s been languishing in the classifieds for over three weeks at an asking price of £5000:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/149069#149069

That price seems high ($6537.07 USD) from a private seller, as a similar instrument sold from a shop in the States a year ago with an asking price of $5000 (£3824.34). Granted, mandolin prices always seem a bit higher on that side of the pond, but I see no evidence of that kind of massive price jump, at least not one that is finding buyers.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Last year we saw a price increase across the board on entry level mandolins. Collings raised their prices and it seems that the whole market has grown tighter with higher pricing. At the same time used guitars have not increased accordingly and used banjo prices seem to be falling as older collectors dump large collections. Of course others might be seeing different things but these are my observations. There are many instruments sitting for longer before getting sold and backlogs of product available for someone searching.

It seems to me that list prices have been bumped up by some around $500+ on a number of different used mandolins in the past six months to a year, Flatirons included. It also seems that those instruments aren't selling as I see repostings and/or a post with a lengthy time line on Reverb. So I don't know if the buying public is following along.

2018 seemed like a great year to buy a used mandolin. There were lots of great deals according to the old Google results that still pop up when I'm browsing around.

I think Reverb has a sellers guide that shows what instruments are actually selling for. And take a look at The Mandolin Store's used instrument page. I think Dennis provides a good gauge for a reasonable selling price.

I’d love to know how many new mandolins are being made for every serious new player, the kind of guy or gal that will soon be looking to spend several thousand dollars. I suspect way more new mandolins are being made than players to play them. Even the most enthusiastic among us reach a saturation point. So pertaining to the question, you can spend your hard earned on new and shiny, or old and well played. It seems that old in decent condition is selling, Charles Johnson having only one Gibson F style at the moment, whereas I see the same Collings F styles new for months at a time on store websites. So I can believe it if used prices are creeping up.

Personally I would rather have an older Flatiron performer, with binding and inlay, than a Collings MF or a new F 9. But a Collings Deluxe used over a new MF would be another harder comparison. But it costs you nothing to ask what you want to get if you do want to sell. It only takes one buyer who wants what you have. I sold a pedal steel once to a guy who was looking for one for a long time because he had a late friend who played one, so he wanted the same guitar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

You can look for comparable 83-85 Flatiron Fs in the reverb "Sold" listings, there aren't many: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...only_sold=true

I don't know about massive price increases, you can ask Elderly, Music Emporium, Gryphon, the Mando Store, Fiddlers Green as well as well known Nashville dealers what they think as far as consignment prices, they're all willing to do substantial footwork to get the business.
    Last edited by gtani7; Jan-26-2020 at 6:55pm. Reason: more detail
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I think it depends for the Flatiron on that magic date of when Gibson purchased the Flatiron company. The original Flatirons signed by Carlson have a much higher desirability (is that a word) then those signed after Gibson. As far as high end mandolins I know when I go to Michael Heidens there is a steady stream of new mandolins bing built and shipped, mostly A models. IMHO
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

9. The following members say thank you to rockies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    There’s a 1984 that’s been languishing in the classifieds for over three weeks at an asking price of £5000:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/149069#149069
    Hmmm... the OP is "thinking of selling" his Carlson signed 1984 Flatiron. These 1984 Flatirons must be rare birds, the seller in the Classifieds refers to his as a "hen's tooth''.
    And both the OP and the seller are named Colin. What are the odds!!!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb