Thread: Mr. Compton on the right hand.

Default Mr. Compton on the right hand.

A few days ago I had a pleasant email exchange with Mike Compton over a CD of his ("Gallop to Georgia") that I ordered but that for some reason got sent back. it sent me to his website, where I started to read his blog. I remember that years ago MC kept a lively, well-written blog about the musician's life but had stopped. Well, it turns out that he's taken it up again and I'm enjoying reading it.

I was particularly struck by a recent entry about the trials of the right hand. We amateur pickers tend to think that the pros have it all figured out. But it isn't so. Turns out right hand technique is still something of a struggle and a mystery for this great player. If you're interested in reading it, here's a link.

Cheers.

https://www.mikecompton.net/news/the-hardest-part
    Cary Fagan

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cary Fagan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Mr. Compton on the right hand.

I’m just beginning to scratch the surface of this aging BS, and I don’t like it one bit...

As for the technique conundrum, that’s one of the reasons Mike’s so much better than us amateurs. Not only does he have the love, but also just the right amount of OCD and hunger to constantly improve. Add in the work ethic, and, man, you get Mike Compton...
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the read.

Adam

Mike is of course a great mandolin player; but and even more amazing and wonderful person!

Thx for sharing that link and support MC!

RF

All of that and a good writer too. Check out the blog post on the recording of "Gallop to Georgia." That's a great read.

Come to Monroe Camp and you'll get plenty of time with Mike. Nothing like studying that right and left hand in person. Well worth it.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

I can relate to the aging hand issues. I had my left hand operated on a year or so ago for carpel tunnel, with good results overall, but my palm will always ache a bit, I fear. The diabolical thing is my inability to quit, or at least limit my playing. 2-3 hours per day is not unusual. Now I have the time, the body wears out. I guess there are worse addictions.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Well, since we're on the subject, I still have some right arm pain from tearing my rotator cuff two years ago...
    Cary Fagan

The problem with talking about various infirmaries is that someone else always has a bigger problem than you. I finally decided to sell a guitar I’ve owned for over twenty years. I’ve had a friend who has lusted after it the whole time. When I gave it to him for a trial, he found he could no longer play it, so buy that Gilchrist while you can still play.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I've heard several friends comment something to the effect of "I'm going to really start work seriously on my picking once I retire." It's easy to forget what a harsh environment reality presents to musicians, aspiring or professional. If you have plans, right now is the best time to execute them.

Well, truth be told, retirement is when you have the time. This won’t work if you have lofty aspirations to actually be a great musician. On nice days, of which there are a vast majority here, I sit on a backyard bench in the sun, run through scales and arpeggios, a few fiddle tunes, then work some on what new tune or skill I’m developing. Then I have a mid to late afternoon session, then a late night session. Probably three hours in all, spread between guitar and mandolin. Hard to do that with a job.

But I do pound both hands hard. No surprise they bark back. All my friends who were avid runners have bad knees.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    A few days ago I had a pleasant email exchange with Mike Compton over a CD of his ("Gallop to Georgia") that I ordered but that for some reason got sent back. it sent me to his website, where I started to read his blog. I remember that years ago MC kept a lively, well-written blog about the musician's life but had stopped. Well, it turns out that he's taken it up again and I'm enjoying reading it.

I was particularly struck by a recent entry about the trials of the right hand. We amateur pickers tend to think that the pros have it all figured out. But it isn't so. Turns out right hand technique is still something of a struggle and a mystery for this great player. If you're interested in reading it, here's a link.

Cheers.

https://www.mikecompton.net/news/the-hardest-part
    Thanks for posting, very encouraging to see we're not alone.

About 20 years ago after about 30 years of playing casually together, my wife and I decided to do everything in music that we could, while we still could. Now, while we're compensating for being stiff, shaky and hard to move, we're really glad we made that decision. With four albums and lots of festivals and other gigs under our belt, there are really no regrets. And happily, while we may be slowing down, we aren't done yet.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Definitely. Have had to change my hand grip in the last month or two because of too much hand pain and stiffness. This new grip seems to have helped. Played 6 shows over 4 days and had no problems at all.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723