Thread: Info on J. Bovier mandolins, please

Default Info on J. Bovier mandolins, please

Hey all- would like some input on J. Bovier mandolins. Just general curiosity. Seems like a good instrument albeit Chinese made which isn’t a total deterrent to me. I have a Kentucky KM 172 which has been good. Thanks all- Jan

Default Re: Info on J. Bovier mandolins, please

Just do a search. People that have them like them. I think they fall into the Kentucky master series realm for price and tone.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

While you're waiting for an answer take a look through these threads.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Cotatigirl View Post
    Hey all- would like some input on J. Bovier mandolins. Just general curiosity. Seems like a good instrument albeit Chinese made which isn’t a total deterrent to me. I have a Kentucky KM 172 which has been good. Thanks all- Jan
    I bought a J Bovier off of Reverb last year and like you I was interested in the background. Per a recommendation here I contact Jeff Cowherd via email, gave him the serial number and he gave me some info on it. Turns out is was an early 2007 Korean-made instrument. I have been very happy with the sound and construction. I also found this on the web

There are three different generations of the JBovier F5 Tradition. The first generation was made in Korea and distributed to us dealers directly from Jeff Cowherd. The second generation was made in China and distributed by a Canadian company, Musiquip. Both of those generations had a polyurethane finish. The Korean version was more expensive, $900 for the mandolin verses $799 for the second generation F5 Tradition distributed by Musiquip. That is for the price of the mandolin alone and did not include a case. The current generation of JBovier F5 Tradition mandolins are made at a different Chinese factory than the second generation and are a step up in quality with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. These are the highest quality built of the three generations and the price does include a hard-shell case.

I'm another satisfied customer. These are great mandolins for the price. I have a 2017 A 5 Custom that I bought new. Took 3 months or so of daily playing to open up, but it has plenty of belly and volume now. Only complaint is that the lacquer application needed a lighter hand. That said, very nice tonewoods and carving, a lovely radiused fretboard, bone nut, and Grover (I believe) tuning machines. Easy to play with a comfortable neck. Jeff Cowherd has ticked all of the boxes and delivers great service with a super product. There's a reason you don't see them for sale very often in the classifieds. MAS has led me to buy a Collings oval and a Stiver F - love them both - but my Bovier runs with the pack.

I have one of the first of the third generation A5 models that I purchased at the end of 2012, just as a Jeff was introducing the new instruments. Mine is actually one of the ones pictured on the website at the time. All I can say is it was excellent when I bought it and it continues to get better all the time. I am amazed at the fullness and sweetness of the tone. It certainly sounds like a much more expensive mandolin than it is.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

7. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I see Jeff is selling some new models....can't bite until I sell my Greenridge guitar built by Todd Stock. Well, a girl can dream!��

Blog Entries

I have one of about 250 of Jeff's JBovier solid body electric mandolins. Met him at NAMM in 2006 or 2007 when these had first come out.

I love my EMC-5 and wish he was making more. Jeff was also great to work with when I finally bought the instrument in 2010.

Daniel

Does J Bovier still make mandolins? I messaged through his site and gave him a call. Still waiting to hear back. I noticed all the dealer links led to no longer active sites. I’m interested in their F5 model if it’s still getting made. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoBodhi View Post
    Does J Bovier still make mandolins? I messaged through his site and gave him a call. Still waiting to hear back. I noticed all the dealer links led to no longer active sites. I’m interested in their F5 model if it’s still getting made. Thanks all!
    To the best of my knowledge, J Bovier is no longer producing mandolins. It’s hard to imaging why, other than very stiff competition from Eastman. Jeff put out some superb mandolins that were way better than their price would indicate, but it was still a small company and having difficulty competing with the more established name like Eastman. My 2013 A5 still blows my mind every time I play it. It never disappoints me.
    Last edited by mandobassman; May-20-2022 at 8:19pm. Reason: Spelling

I have a four-string EMC by J.Bovier and love it.

13. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Got in touch with Jeff and am getting one of his F5s. :-)

Glad to hear they’re still in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoBodhi View Post
    Got in touch with Jeff and am getting one of his F5s. :-)
    SO... after a few months, what do you think about your Bovier F5?

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    I have a four-string EMC by J.Bovier and love it.
    I have the ELS - such a brilliant mandolin.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I’m digging mine for sure. Generally great tone across the strings (at least up to the 12th fret). Lots of nice overtones. Decent sustain. It’s definitely gonna stay for awhile until I get a little better and can afford my $4-5k lifetime instrument (and maybe after that if I can swing it). Overall I’d definitely recommend it for a great value at the sub $2k price point. Also it looks quite nice, particularly the burst on the top.

Blog Entries

Another ELS owner. I've described it as the one thing I'd quickly grab in a fire. Such a wonderful little instrument. It just looks, sounds, and plays awesome, and it turned a growing violinist/mandolinist into a bedroom rockstar. For that it has a special place in my heart.

I've also pretty much only heard good things from acoustic owners or music store workers who've tried them.

20. The following members say thank you to TonyEarth for this post:

Man i love my J.Boviar..i have F5T+. Im in the same boat, looking for a 4-5k mandolin but this one is great for me and where im at right now. plays great..anyone put a K&K in theres? was thinking about doing it

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4 View Post
    Man i love my J.Boviar..i have F5T+. Im in the same boat, looking for a 4-5k mandolin but this one is great for me and where im at right now. plays great..anyone put a K&K in theres? was thinking about doing it
    I have the K&K in mine, nice chop, bright, and crisp. very percussive response... sounds pretty good.