Thread: Gavin Baird F5 in the classifieds

Default Gavin Baird F5 in the classifieds

Hi everyone,

Baird mandolins rarely show up for sale since Gavin's total output was low and demand for his instruments is always high. I have NFI in the one that's in the classifieds right now - but if I didn't already have a Baird F5 I'd be all over that one. Wow.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Bohnen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gavin Baird F5 in the classifieds

I know he was a favorite builder of Peter Ostroushko, although Pete preferred his A models over Fs. I 'm a bit MASed out from recent acquisitions but I am intrigued.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

I understood Peter to prefer oval holes over F holes, and A bodies over F bodies. The "Peter Otroushko" model Gavin Baird mandolins are certainly A body oval holes - that particular model also has a deeper V neck profile.

Gavin built guitars and mandolins in small numbers, I believe less than 100 in total. He made more F4s than F5s. His F4s are legendary and highly sought after, but I think there are few enough of his F5s that not too many people have been exposed to them. I'm glad I got the chance and I'm happy to have one of each. Plenty of information on Gavin's instruments is available at www.sheba.ca.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Aaron Bohnen; Jan-23-2020 at 12:42am.
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

Moderator's Edit. Apologies, but our Forum Guidelines do not permit linking personal sales. We need to be fair to all members. Feel free to post for free in the Classifieds.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Apr-24-2020 at 8:11am.

So nice to hear from you on the Cafe, Gavin. I for one can say I know numerous folks who play your instruments on a daily basis and love them! All the best, friend.

db

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    So nice to hear from you on the Cafe, Gavin. I for one can say I know numerous folks who play your instruments on a daily basis and love them! All the best, friend.

db
    thanks DB good to hear from you. too bag that mandolin cafe doesn't allow refersing other sites oh ell i am sure you all know about Reverb..gavin

Default Re: Gavin Baird F5 in the classifieds (now there's an F4!)

Hi everyone,

I just noticed the last Gavin Baird F4 is in the classifieds right now. Being sold by Gavin no less! I know we are all being careful with $ during this awful pandemic but if I didn't have one of Gavin's F4s already I'd be all over it.

Mine is such a joy to play, with plenty of sparkle, a complex and entrancing midrange and very solid bass. So unusual for a mandolin to be that serious in the bottom register. My favorite for sitting alone on the sofa or playing with my father on guitar. It's delightful to play and exquisitely made too.

I don't have any financial interest in the sale but what a rare opportunity it represents, and a beautiful way to support Gavin as he releases his last instrument out into the wild. I hope it finds a loving home - mine has certainly brought me plenty of smiles.

Enjoy!

10. The following members say thank you to Aaron Bohnen for this post:

Default Re: Gavin Baird F5 in the classifieds (now there's an F4!)

aaron..thanks for the post..i hope it.the F4 goes to someone who will appreciate it..it is a good one..all the best aaron,,take care of yourself as well as the mandolins...gavin