Thread: point protector material

Default point protector material

my first build was a stew mac kit , back in the day of celluloid being shipped, and it came with a 1/4 by 2 x 2 block for point protectors. since then, I decided to go with ebony on the points, and liked the ' invisible look". I am almost ready to assemble an F and a guy wants white on the points, do you guys just use nut material, bone? I looked at stew mac, and LMI for " "point protectors" came up nothing. I did see a product LMI were selling , "Corian" that said a bit whiter then bone, and filled easier.> I also need to find archival section, to not be so bothersome with " same with same questions" thanks. " got a deer leg in the freezer, but would have to fight the dogs for it
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: point protector material

Bill James sells the ivoroid point protector material.

I actually need a tailpiece from him but do not want to pay hasmat for shipping so am looking for a substitute

I had some white Corian sitting around, (kitchen countertop material is its primary use). Thought to use it to fill in for some missing bits in the two-color edge-banding on a bowlback, but found it too brittle to saw into small pieces, so gave up. However, it can be thermoformed, which might help. It’s an acrylic with mineral filler, so some solvent glues should work. I assumed the white parts of the edgeband was celluloid, but didn’t test it. Still haven’t found quarter-round white stuff that cuts and glues easily.

I recall having a Gibson A-9 that had a Corian nut. It was rather sharp edged. I believe I filed the edges smooth before replacing it with bone. It is brittle.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

You could use bone from the pet store. It’s cheap.