Thread: Really Basic String Question

Default Really Basic String Question

I've been playing stringed instruments over 40 years now, but I have a real noob question:

Are the plain (unwound) strings all the same metal? I mean if I took the A's and E's from a pack of monel, phosphor bronze, 80/20, aluminum bronze, etc. would they all be the same metallurgically? Or are they different? Thanks!

Default Re: Really Basic String Question

Interesting question. I don’t really know but suspect the eventual answer will be “as near as makes no difference”.

I am pretty sure they are the same, or as Ray(T) says very nearly. I have taken plain strings from guitar, banjo or mandolin and noticed no difference. Wound strings from the same manufacturer are the same regardless of instrument, as long as the diameter of the string and type, (phosphor, nickel, 80/20, etc.), are the same. One may be loop end and the other ball end, but are interchangeable should you need to.

If you look at a singles chart for ordering they have all the different types of single would strings with gauges, but for plain there is only the gauge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have always assumed that they are the same. Slightly different properties of the steel might influence their behavior near breaking tension, but not anything audible.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I just put a Monel A on a Phosphor Bronze set.

I don't hear a difference.

I would guess that plain strings from the same manufacturer would be of the same composition but that different manufacturers might have different compositions for their plain strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I asked this same question of the good folks at d'Addario and DR. The d'Addario people answered that "for the most part, most are the same but not all. Some are also tinned or coated differently. Tone-wise it is not night and day."

I haven't received an answer from DR strings yet.

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would guess that plain strings from the same manufacturer would be of the same composition but that different manufacturers might have different compositions for their plain strings.
    I was under the impression that even the different manufacturers source their wire from a tiny number of producers.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Here is what the good folks at DR Strings said:

"In theory we would say yes, they are basically all the same but there are 4 wire companies in the US and a couple more worldwide. We imagine they all have similar yet differing metallurgic formulas. All of our plains come from one source and yes, all the same."

They said no one had ever asked them that before.