Thread: Tuners for an F-9

Default Tuners for an F-9

2015 Gibson F-9.

Tuners are a bit stiff and seem to slip a bit. What is a good replacement set?

Default Re: Tuners for an F-9

Alan, post a picture so we can ID the tuners. I'd be looking at the nut slots and tuners can be serviced.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Nut or bridge slots are not the issue, as the mandolin was just re-fretted and a new Weber trad bridge was fitted/installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-9 tuners.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	438.8 KB 
ID:	183036  

Those are Gibson Grover tuners, made by Grover specifically for Gibson. I used a set for several years before swapping them out for Waverly tuners. I'm actually surprised, they seemed like really decent tuners.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

AlanN 

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Those are Gibson Grover tuners, made by Grover specifically for Gibson. I used a set for several years before swapping them out for Waverly tuners. I'm actually surprised, they seemed like really decent tuners.
    I repaired F-9 few years ago with the same tuners that were worn to crap because they installed them wrong. The screws holding the tuners on headstock were all drilled near edge of the hole on plate and at an angle forcing the whole plate to side which jammed all posts in the bushings and also forced the the gear wheels to an angle with plates completely ruining thin plastic bearing surfaces underneath (there are metal tabs and clear plastic over that). I first replaced the plastic but the new ones were not slippery enough so I tried to flip them and put the metal over the plastic and it worked OK with a dab of lubricant (most older tuners don't have any plastic bearings anyway). Of course they needed to be reinstalled on the headstock without unnecesary tensions so I plugged the bad screw holes and carefully drilled new lead holes well centered.
    The tuners got a bad rep (more of these were reported as fail) and were used just for very short time, perhaps it was the person mounting them at that time as otherwise they looked just like any other mid-grade tuners of good quality. Perhaps they were less forgiving of inproper installation.
    Adrian

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

dhergertdpr 

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    ...were used just for very short time...
    They were used for well over 10 years. They could possibly still be using them, I don't know. They replaced the Schaller's spec for spec so they didn't need to retool. I don't have a whole lot of reports of them failing here and I would if it was common. I can't say anything about the way they were installed I haven't seen it. The ones on my Gibson were flawless. They were on the Ferns on down. The gold tuners had MOP buttons.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Alan please post a pic of the top side too.

Have you tried a tiny bit of grease in the nut slots and to lube the tuners? I bought the Daddario syringe of it (lubrikit), but it smells like Vaseline. I was skeptical but it seemed to work in my situation. I had oiled before but the grease worked better for me.

I will see about the grease, thanks for the tip(s). I will post a front pic later. Just this am, the mandolin needed tweak tuning (G,D,A fell flat overnight) again. And turning the pegs, I feel real stiffness there.

The mandolin is signed by David Harvey, so I have to think the tuners were well-seated/installed in 2015. Skip Kelley did the very recent EVO full re-fret and Weber trad bridge installation/seating. Perfect job on both. The mandolin plays well and sounds very good.

A mandolin going flat overnight is no biggie, happens all the time, unless it goes sharp. Room temp and humidity can do that easily.

The tuners feeling stiff is another matter and it if is your nut slots being too tight it would go sharp, not flat.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    A mandolin going flat overnight is no biggie, happens all the time, unless it goes sharp. Room temp and humidity can do that easily.
    Doesn't happen with my other mandolins, not a one.

I removed those black nylon round ended washers from a set of (non-Gibson) Grovers once and the tuners worked better after, so they are definitely not needed.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    I removed those black nylon round ended washers from a set of (non-Gibson) Grovers once and the tuners worked better after, so they are definitely not needed.
    Just about the only connection between Gibson Grover and regular Grover tuners is the name Grover. The buttons and screw sizes aren't even the same.

For anyone that is looking for information on these tuners here is every thread on the Cafe with the term "Gibson Grover" in it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Getting back to Alan's original question, if you do choose to replace them they are worm under tuners. The screw holes may not match up exactly on anything and that's not a big deal. Wavery, Rubner, Gotoh, Schaller, and the rest should fit the post holes. The only set of tuners that might cause you issues are the current Grovers as they don't make the top button shaft as long as the others and the button "might" hit the side of the peghead.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Doesn't happen with my other mandolins, not a one.
    I find it depends on the thickness of the top as to how much changes in environment affect the mandolin. Thinner tops don't seem to move as much as thicker ones. At least it is that way with the ones I have.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!