Thread: What was your biggest challenge in making an F style mandolin?

Default What was your biggest challenge in making an F style mandolin?

I've been working on my first F-style mandolin build. 5 weeks into it, about a month to go.There are many interesting things I have learned so far. I was curious about what the range of different challenges others have experienced. Since I know there are many challenges inherent in building an instrument and quirks specific to certain models, if you had to pick one (perhaps the worst, or not) what was the biggest issue you had in building an F style mandolin? Thanks!

Default Re: What was your biggest challenge in making an F style mandolin

Binding, binding, binding.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I would go with binding as well. look at the difference between an F and an A, binding on the A, once around , on th eF all those miters and isn't a 45 anywhere, then the scroll,

5. The following members say thank you to Martian for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bollman View Post
    ...if you had to pick one (perhaps the worst, or not) what was the biggest issue you had in building an F style mandolin? Thanks!
    That would probably be: getting a price for the mandolin that reflects the work and skill that goes into building the thing.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Building a good looking, great sounding, easy playing mandolin and not having any interest in your dream.. Spending 120 to 150 hours doing something you love and chasing that dream and hoping someone might notice.. I'm getting older every day (already old) and can't give it up.. If I'd give up. I would die the worst of deaths.. So don't stop. Can't stop....
    kterry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buckhorn For This Useful Post:

What John said !!! Trying to explain to a customer that even though your charging $3,000, which is a deal, that your still only making $4.28 an hour !! That and yes, binding that scroll can really make the whiskey bottle get a little emptier that night !!

J
    Last edited by Mandoborg; Jan-18-2020 at 8:52am. Reason: Spelling

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoborg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    That would probably be: getting a price for the mandolin that reflects the work and skill that goes into building the thing.
    I’ve built one mandolin, and working on number two. Only by doing this can you truly understand. I was once one of those misguided souls. No more. Now I’d pay willingly and only lack the funds.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Built one (It works!) and teaching myself to play. I literally built my first F5 because I wanted to learn to play the mandolin, so I didn't care how much money it is worth; just that it plays and stays in tune. Now starting on numbers 2, 3 and 4. I plan to give these away to musician friends and ask for their feedback.

I could write an essay on what I learned the first time around. But briefly I will say:
    - Wish I had planned the build from beginning to end before I started, for many reasons. This includes buying materials, buying the right tools, understanding the finishing process and more. Now as I'm starting my next build, I'm planning EVERYTHING.
    - I bought some unnecessary tools because I was ignorant of how simple certain parts of the process can be. I own four finger planes; you likely only need one (or possibly none). That kind of thing.
    - Binding - PRACTICE FIRST. Buy extra everything. Try it out. Practice. Learn where you screw up.
    - Finishing - After I had completed my first F5 I read someone who wrote that the process is 1/3 planning, 1/3 building and 1/3 finishing. This is absolutely true. I wish I had not rushed the finish job on my first one. I will be more patient in the future.
    - From what I can tell (Please, more experienced builders correct me if necessary...) no one builder does it exactly the same. So don't get caught up on the "right" way to do it.

So much more but I gotta get back to my bench. Good luck!!

15. The following members say thank you to putnamm for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Beautiful work on your website, John. Yep, getting compensated for one's effort is a lifelong battle. I'm a photographer by day. Since "everyone's a photographer" these days, my work is completely replaceable by Nimrod's brother-in-law who own's a DSLR as if it's all about gear. Lol.

I have not tackled an F model but built three 2-pointers and starting on my 4th (another 2-pointer) and the biggest challenge for me was knowing when I was finished with the plates. Apart from aiming for published thicknesses and graduations, i still am a wild guesser at this task. Many times I wish I had one of the top level builders hanging around my shop to lend there expertise in getting the plates optimized. Because they can consistently build great sounding instruments they must know when their carving of the plates is finished.

PS. Once again I would like to thank Sunburst for his several years ago advice to keep an eye on the centerline.
    -Newtonamic

I'll agree with the others who say binding being the toughest. I'll only use celluloid as abs seems harder to work. I plan to build an A model when I finally finish my current hybrid F-4. I don't build to sell just for my own amusement. If I don't absolutely love what I've built, I'll move it on.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band