Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Default Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

A question for Eastman if you get the chance. Any plans for a 4 or 5 string El Rey in the future?

Blog Entries

Someone took some cell phone video of myself and J.P. Cormier, the well know Canadian guitar great trying out the new Zeta models. Wasn't aware he played mandolin. J.P. has chops!

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks Scott...any Northfield news, by chance?

Stop by booth 9048 if you can. We have something to show you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    It’s the same type of bridge they use on the violins.
    Unless they changed things, their website shows very different bridges on the violins. I think the mandolin bridge may be unique to this new model. The Acoustic Pro looks like it uses a standard violin bridge and here are the other current two models' bridges. Maybe they used to use that mandolin bridge or similar on older violin models?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZetaJazzBridge.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	935.9 KB 
ID:	182992 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StradosBridge2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	182993 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue-Jazz-Bridge.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	182994
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

There's a bunch of black magic going on with these bridges. I don't want to hand out information I'm not 100% sure on but I was like, "it'll do WHAT?" when I heard. I may be seeing Steve again late this afternoon and hope to have him sit down and answer some questions but no promises as I don't know his schedule.

Northfield: well, we had our epic taco night with his brother on Thursday, attended by a video guy from Marshall that does some work with him, and myself and my girls, Adrian's brother, and it was so over the top. Think we went through about 50 tacos total between 6 of us. Adrian has one of his "next generation" models here. Spent about 30 minutes playing it yesterday at the show but... dear gawd, all those drummers. Still, everyone was saying they could hear it cutting through the noise. I have another date with it late this afternoon. Tied up all morning here getting my family back on their separate flights home and happy for my ears to have a break from it all. Adrian is working at the Shubb Capo booth for anyone at the show. It is a beast of a big, loud, fat sounding mandolin.

Northfield also has some sort collaboration in the works with California Bluegrass Association to assist the operation and funding of their Kids Instrument Lending Library. On that front, word from CBA is that 4 of 5 new kids joining CBA that are mandolin players.... wait for this, they're girls. There's your proof of the impact of the Sierra Hulls and others that are burning up the circuit. My opinion. The dam is just breaking, and it's going to be a big influx of more ladies in the music in the coming years. This is a great thing.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Jim, it’s the same concept and probably the same technology, adapted to the mandolin. I’ve seen some other designs, but still the same approach isolating the strings. They work amazingly well. All the jazz players absolutely love them. So, there’s sure to be some improvement and black magic as Scott says with these mandolins. It will be interesting to test these out.

Right now Zeta mostly sells direct, and the only dealer I’ve seen is Electric Violin Shop in NC. Wonder if that will change.

One thing, you never see a Carlson-built Zeta violin used on the market, and I should know, I’ve been looking for quite a while. People who buy them, keep them. I may have to break down and order a new one.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I found the press release from the original Zeta mandolin posted on MC in 2016. Mandolin bridge concept described thusly:

ZETA's Mandolin Bridge:

The bridge support “fingers” of the mandolin pickup dedicate dual piezo elements to each individual string. Responding to the flex of the pickup “finger” rather than the vibration sensitivity common to most piezo and transducer pickup systems, the Strados Series pickup system is able to respond with a true electric-acoustic string tone that is resistant to the sound vibrations that cause feedback at high volume levels. The special black composite construction of the Strados bridge pickup (made by ZETA) allows for maximum string sensitivity and pickup gain, resulting in a beautiful electric-acoustic tone with warmth and clarity even at high amplification levels.

ZETA’s proprietary internal active preamp system increases the power of the pickup signal from each individual string, leading to separate internal gain controls to provide for even string balance. This state-of-the-art system delivers a wide range of amplification flexibility, supporting a variety of tonal characteristics adaptable to diverse playing techniques and styles of music. An internal 9-volt battery provides over 1,000 hours of service on average.

Individual string digital outputs allow the use of each string as a separate MIDI channel. Players can access software notation programs and MIDI applications, using the output from the Strados pickup to run to the GR-55 MIDI controller. Whether used as an analog pickup or a digital MIDI pickup in conjunction with a MIDI Controller/Synthesizer, the Strados pickup system provides clarity of string tone without feedback.
    I suppose some of the concepts are modernized for the new ones? To compare visually, old then new:

Name:	attachment-4.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	182995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment-6.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	182996
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

From my contact at Eastman just now:

No plans to make a four or five string version of the El Rey mandolin at this time.

Getting ready to dive back into the madness here in a bit, see what I can dredge up I haven't already.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

ajhJEStanek 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Northfield also has some sort collaboration in the works with California Bluegrass Association to assist the operation and funding of their Kids Instrument Lending Library. On that front, word from CBA is that 4 of 5 new kids joining CBA that are mandolin players.... wait for this, they're girls. There's your proof of the impact of the Sierra Hulls and others that are burning up the circuit. My opinion. The dam is just breaking, and it's going to be a big influx of more ladies in the music in the coming years. This is a great thing.
    I gotta give shout outs to A.J. Lee and Sharon Gilchrist as well, two stellar mandolinists based here in NorCal. They are a familiar presence at bluegrass events around here and I am sure they are also influencing this welcome trend.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a feeling that that bridge is very innovative. I wonder how you adjust the height of each pair. Also it looks like the inserts are not ebony but perhaps carbon fiber?
    At first glance, it made me think it could have been inspired by the Vern Brekke bridge. It was original on Weber mandolins and I still have one on my '99 Beartooth and 1992 Flatiron F Artist.

Blog Entries

Below: the first "official" carriers of the new Zeta Mandolin line, Elderly Instruments, although I'm aware of three other major retailers that have said they are definitely in, just in a more informal fashion is what I'm told. Below L-R: Lillian Werbin, Steve Carlson, Stan Werbin.

Name:  elderly.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  226.9 KB

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Great thread! Shows me all the good gear! I dont think i would ever get into one of these shows, its like the biggest toy store preview!
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Zeta makes amazing violins. I’ve been eyeing one for almost a year. Now this is amazing news!
    My fiddler S.O. bought one of the original Zeta solidbody violins secondhand from a friend around 10 years ago, just to fool around on. It's an amazing instrument for what it's intended for -- Jazz, Rock, Blues -- and sounds great through effects pedals. She had fun with it for about a year, but eventually sold it and sticks with acoustic fiddle for the trad music we play together. If it's a good fit for the music you play, it's one of the best electric violins out there. That split saddle pickup system really works well.

Glad to see Elderly with some more mandolin electricity now that Blue Star Mandoblaster’s out of production.

I really like the varnish on the 515. Any chance Eastman will bring the varnish option to the 614 or 615?

I’m not a total Neanderthal, but the thought of a wave of 12 year old girls leaving me in their dust is just too depressing to contemplate, so I’ll crawl back into my hole until further notice.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

22. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Name:	977BFB1A-E86B-4077-970C-054B9323B580.jpeg 
Views:	186 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	183029
    Teaser photo

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve May For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Learned this morning there is a 6th new Weber model yet to announce that was not at the show. They want to wait for that announcement to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve May View Post

Name:	977BFB1A-E86B-4077-970C-054B9323B580.jpeg 
Views:	186 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	183029
    Teaser photo
    What hath Ifshin wrought?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ted Heinonen

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Someone took some cell phone video of myself and J.P. Cormier, the well know Canadian guitar great trying out the new Zeta models. Wasn't aware he played mandolin. J.P. has chops!

Hei Scott, great video of you and JP. He is not slouch on the mandolin. I have one album of his called "X8: A Mandolin Collection" and it's powerful! He is a known force on the fiddle too, especially the French Canadian tunes.

Damn, now I really want a Zeta.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Mas Mas Mas...

No Mas.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

30. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Blog Entries

These ukes caught our eye at the show and at $39 on amazon they're too cool. The Waterman ukulele from Kala. Clear plastic, beach ready it appears.

Name:  IMG_3576.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  184.0 KB

32. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Hi Martin. I’m not at Ifshin’s anymore. This is a mandolin in development from a different company that I work for now.