Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Bridger Products

Default Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Hi Ken,

Steve is familiar with my bridges (at one time, he gave me a quote to cut them) and has talked to me about adapting the general design to his instruments. Unfortunately, my wedge system didn't provide enough space for his wiring and electronics so the internal mechanics have been changed to accommodate his pickups.

Vern Brekke
    Bridger Products

2. The following members say thank you to VernBrekke for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve May View Post
    Hi Martin. I’m not at Ifshin’s anymore. This is a mandolin in development from a different company that I work for now.
    Isn’t your booth number Larsen Strings? Have they joined the mandolin string world?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Steve are you working for Glasser?

Re Zeta. Interesting that their website doesn’t contain upgraded info from the 2016 instruments. Not clear if those are available or that the new model is. Presumably since Elderly has signed on, more info should be forthcoming soon.

Listening to the demo on their site, I think the new instruments will be a hit with jam bands, who will now have the ability to rock out to their wildest heart’s desires, when plugged into their synthesizer. A synth seems to be a needed accessory. But being good acoustically as well is quite a feat.

Seems to be a very well done product.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    These ukes caught our eye at the show and ... they're too cool. The Waterman ukulele from Kala. Clear plastic, beach ready it appears.
    Very cool. Doubles as a canoe paddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Looks like Gibson's only mandolin at the show:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonNAMM2020-mando.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	182926

(from https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...-photo-thread/ )

I saw two in their main showroom
    Here's video of the Gibson mandolin pictured above and another (Gibson Fern I'd guess) in action. Go to 1:55 for mandolin exclusive jamming and brief mention of the mandolin being a new varnish model or something. I'm in no way affiliated with those who made the video. Just a fan of Gibson mandolins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KjqDj-UJh_0

8. The following members say thank you to archerscreek for this post:

Hubs 

Re: Waterman
    I have a Waterman ukulele, and I would not recommend it to a serious musician. It was fine for a couple months, but the neck bowed, and the bridge is pulling off, and now it's pretty much unplayable. Before it started coming apart it was a decent uke at best. Imho your money could be better spent unless you desperately need a waterproof uke
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Isn’t your booth number Larsen Strings? Have they joined the mandolin string world?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Steve are you working for Glasser?
    I'm working for Glasser now, and we are also the importer of Larsen Strings. This is something Glasser has in development.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve May For This Useful Post:

I have two Glasser violins, a four and a five strings. These are great instruments, especially for the money. It’s exciting to hear they are developing a mandolin.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I'm working for Glasser now, and we are also the importer of Larsen Strings. This is something Glasser has in development.
    Thanks for your reply. I personally would be more excited about another high quality string company offering flat wound string options, THomastik are a limited offering.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I saw your teaser pic with the carbon fiber mandolin. Did I miss any other info? If not, how soon before more info might be released?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Glasser is the US distributor for Larsen. The strings are made by Laurits Larsens’ company in Denmark. They are fairly expensive, but sound great on Glasser’s instruments.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

I have been to a couple of trade shows at the Javits Center in New York, a cards and gifts show. After half a day one's eyes are just totally exhausted looking at design, and all you want to do sit quietly with an eye mask on. I am sure NAMM is in its own way exhausting. I cannot imagine several days at it. Enthusiasm for the subject can only keep you going for so long. Taking on NAMM for all of us is no small thing. We do appreciate it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well, at only ~2300 booths at NAMM, I'm sure it was a bit beyond overwhelming, even if the mandocentric part was way less than 5%. For an enthusiast, its was fun to see and speculate

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Thanks for your reporting on all things mandolin at NAMM, Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    Re: Waterman
    I have a Waterman ukulele, and I would not recommend it to a serious musician. It was fine for a couple months, but the neck bowed, and the bridge is pulling off, and now it's pretty much unplayable. Before it started coming apart it was a decent uke at best. Imho your money could be better spent unless you desperately need a waterproof uke
    I couldn’t agree more. I bought one to take on a European trip a couple years ago...cheap, indestructible-ish, and if it were were lost or damaged, no big. It’s offered me some comfort in environments where I’d never take one of my decent instruments, but the action is high, bordering on unplayable out of first position. And, not remedial easily, because of the neck angle and bridge structure. We’re Clemson fans (still smarting, #respect LSU), and I thought as I bought the orange one I’d have fun giving it to one of my nieces who has some musical interests, but I’d never give her this as a “first instrument.” I’ll probably take it on an upcoming trip to Mexico, but that’s prolly it for me. That said, love the concept, just want better execution...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Subjects always come up to jog my memory of what I saw. Another thread unrelated to this reminded me, I was walking somewhere in Hall E which is downstairs where most of the mandolin activity is at stopped at the Octophone Guitar Company booth when I saw 8 string instruments. Wasn't on my radar. These can be tuned like octave mandolins and are pretty reasonable and appeared to be well constructed. I encouraged them to put a few on the Classifieds.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

A couple of bad videos that were never intended to appear anywhere but on my phone but are now making an appearance here. Sorry about that. This is the Mandolin Cafe and Northfield Mandolins annual NAMM taco night, now in its fourth year, at Taqueria Los Gueros, 628 W La Palma Ave., Anaheim. Outstanding place, the food SO good and the people just fantastic. No liquor license so this is just a pure meat, onion, cilantro and lime show. There is nothing that goes on at this event every year but pure gluttony. This year we downed I think 65 tacos between 7 of us that included my wife and daughter, Adrian, his brother and a videographer from Marshall, Michigan whose name that slips my mind. I think Adrian ate about 1/3 of those.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I saw your teaser pic with the carbon fiber mandolin. Did I miss any other info? If not, how soon before more info might be released?
    I don't have more information yet about the carbon fiber mandolin, just that it is in development. I'll be sure to post on the Cafe once I know more.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve May For This Useful Post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Steve, looks like a carbon fiber body. Can you share what company?
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Glasser, who has been making carbon fiber bows for decades, and really nice carbon fiber violins, violas, and cellos for at least four. Reasonably priced too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Steve Carlson

This is Steve Carlson, the man that founded Flatiron Mandolins, worked for Gibson for 6 years, now owns Zeta Violins. He told me the last time he brought a mandolin to NAMM was 28 years ago. That string has now been broken. My meeting today with him was to be the first person outside of Zeta to see the new line of mandolins he's building. They are under the Zeta brand name and the model will be known as "The Stage."

First up, A models, with F models already in early stages of production. I don't want to quote exactly how many but about two models per week initially so you can do the math and see that they are going to be producing a fair volume and then looking to grow from that point forward.

These are primarily acoustic instruments ready to plug in and be stage ready. While the two prototypes I played sounded very good acoustically and had exceptional finish work, frets, some really classy vintage arrow tuners, it's plugged in where I think they shine based on my hour plus with the two he had along, and that is the point of them. The electronics are all produced in-house and are unique, as is the bridge. It sounded amplified just like it did acoustic, but responded well to all of the possibilities the amplifier we were using had available to it Also unique is a tool to do on the fly adjustments from the bridge to lower and raise action without having to detune.

Now, I know how this works. You have lots of questions, and so do I, and didn't get them all answered. I'm going to let Steve be the person that fields those questions and an official news release will be forthcoming, possibly early next week. We're going to meet late tomorrow to discuss this more, and I'm working with someone outside the Cafe to perform an in-depth video review. He's tied up at the show through tomorrow evening late.

The point of this is to announce that mandolins are once again being produced in Belgrade, Montana under Steve Carlson, and you'll be surprised that a good many of the people that worked for him during his Flatiron and Gibson tenure have continued working for him various roles since.
    Thanks for your announcement Scott and it was very nice getting the chance to visit with you at NAMM and the Ranch. I'm happy to report that I've updated our ZETA website with pertinent info regarding our new 'Stage' mando. Initial applicable links are:

Introducing ZETA's 'Stage' Mando: https://zetaviolins.com/

Instrument Specs & Details: https://zetaviolins.com/mandolin-acoustic

Pickup Details: https://zetaviolins.com/strados-mandolin-pickup-system

While I think the above links will answer many of the questions already asked, postulated or theorized, I'm sure there will still be some points to clarify . . . so ask away as you like.

I'm pleased to say we already have some great dealers on board and we'll be shipping first units in the near future. Namely . . . Elderly Instruments, Carter Vintage and the Mandolin Store. So hopefully some of you will get to try them out.

It's been a real joy to get this project pushed along to this stage. Made especially pleasurable given the experience and expertise of Helen Beausoleil, building and detailing instruments with me since 1984 (currently in setup), Bob Weiman in finish and with me since 1987, Doug Schlender in parts and pickups, formerly Neck Shape and Neck Fit (Flatiron/Gibson 8 years), Bruce Weber in assembly, detailing and parts, building since 1999, Justin Smith (5 years) and Don Rodgers (10 years) both in parts, sanding, etc. and Maxine Carlson, cheerleader, sounding-board, shipping, accounting (40 years). What a crew!

I'll be opening ZetaMandolins Facebook page to the public sometime tomorrow and will be posting some fun tooling pics and videos (progress along-the-way kind of stuff). In case you didn't know . . . I like fixtures and all things shiny.

On Facebook you can keep abreast of what, when and to who we are shipping, new videos, etc.

And so we journey on.

Steve Carlson
    ZETA

29. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Steve Carlson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

It appears that the mandolin pickups are different from the violins in that they have no midi output. Is that correct? Is the Jazz Fusion dual output mandolin still available?

Thanks

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I believe, as with the violins, there is an option for midi. Not all the violins have midi electronics

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    It appears that the mandolin pickups are different from the violins in that they have no midi output. Is that correct? Is the Jazz Fusion dual output mandolin still available?

Thanks
    Hey Bill . . . good question. The new 'Stage' mandolin is a fully acoustic mando built entirely in our shop and is available as acoustic only. It is also available as an A/E (acoustic/electric) version. The bridge on the A/E model is ZETA's Strados™ proprietary configuration, ie finger style bridge. While it is polyphonic out to the internal preamp . . . from there it is a single analog signal out (1/4" jack for wireless or cable connection). Consider this, the 'Stage' mando is just at home in a jam out back as it is on stage and is as 'mic-able' as any acoustic. It is about being heard. I'm sure many will use a blend of both output and mic . . . whichever, you will be heard as acoustic.

Regarding MIDI . . . it would not be practical to 'trigger' a double string MIDI signal . . . at least not with the intent of making music . It is the quality of the amplification from this bridge format that has driven this project from the beginning . . . ie creating a mando pickup without boom box effect, just the acoustic sound of the instrument.

Our JM25 MIDI Mando (5-string model) also uses the same Strados™ bridge/pickup format . . . and the single string polyphonic signal works well with your modern performance synths like the GR-55.

Steve

33. The following members say thank you to Steve Carlson for this post: