Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Default Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Not doing so much picture taking at the moment. Just met Alex Heflin who came up from LA on the Mandolin Cafe's NAMM pass. Great to meet him so introduced him to the Eastman group and as many of you remember he did a video evaluation of the El Rey. Dropped him off at Collings as he's a long time Collings owner and was interested in meeting them. Great guy!

Waiting for "the big meeting" that comes with major announcement and pix but it got moved back at least an hour, so 2:00 p.m. Anaheim time.
    We are here and the anticipation is killing me. I want to see what is in Pandora's Box.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I thought that was here last year but not 100% sure.
    It won't be released for another 9 years. The copy on the page reads:

Created especially for the 2029 Winter NAMM show...

Looks like a solid-body, although the ad doesn't say. Although it looks sweet I can get a heck of a custom made solid-body for a fraction of what they want for that.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

3. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Blog Entries

My big meeting has yet to materialize, approaching two hours late because the individual I'm meeting with is having trouble getting here. Nothing works fast around here in terms of accessing the show. Meanwhile wanted to post this gorgeous Collings MT O in cherry red. A real stunner.

Name:  IMG_3541.jpg
Views: 2669
Size:  448.9 KB

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Clicking the link gives the following message:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

- ---==< V >==--- -

You are doing a great job, I wish I could see all the things you have seen today! keep up the good work.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

Blog Entries

Steve Carlson

This is Steve Carlson, the man that founded Flatiron Mandolins, worked for Gibson for 5 years, now owns Zeta Violins and does a ton of CNC programming and manufacturing of parts for a lot of familiar instruments in the guitar and mandolin community. He told me the last time he brought a mandolin to NAMM was 28 years ago. That string has now been broken. My meeting today with him was to be the first person outside of Zeta to see the new line of mandolins he's building. They are under the Zeta brand name and the model will be known as "The Stage."

First up, A models, with F models already in early stages of production. I don't want to quote exactly how many bu about two models per week initially so you can do the math and see that they are going to be producing a fair volume and then looking to grow from that point forward.

These are primarily acoustic instruments ready to plug in and be stage ready. While the two prototypes I played sounded very good acoustically and had exceptional finish work, frets, some really classy vintage arrow tuners, it's plugged in where I think they shine based on my hour plus with the two he had along, and that is the point of them. The electronics are all produced in-house and are unique, as is the bridge. It sounded amplified just like it did acoustic, but responded well to all of the possibilities the amplifier we were using had available to it Also unique is a tool to do on the fly adjustments from the bridge to lower and raise action without having to detune.

Now, I know how this works. You have lots of questions, and so do I, and didn't get them all answered. I"m not the company owner and had some time but don't want and have no business becoming the Zeta spokesman. I'm going to let Steve be the person that fields those questions and an official news release will be forthcoming, possibly early next week. We're going to meet late tomorrow to discuss this more, and I'm working with someone outside the Cafe to perform an in-depth video review. He's tied up at the show through tomorrow evening late.

The point of this is to announce that mandolins are once again being produced in Belgrade, Montana under Steve Carlson, and you'll be surprised that a good many of the people that worked for him during his Flatiron and Gibson tenure have continued working for him various roles since.

I have some initial pictures of the two mandolins and will try to get those posted today. Lots of irons in the fire so can't predict when and they are just cell phone camera shots.

9. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

One thing I can share that I can think of is price for the A and that's in the neighborhood of $3K to $3,500 with the difference being what kind of electronics are installed. He gave me an F price range but I'm going to hold off and let him cover that.

Having some issues transferring images where I'm staying but will attempt to post a few in the next hour, fingers crossed.

11. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Thank you so much for the fantastic news. Steve is one of my heroes. I love the Flatiron Story and am excited for him to get back to the mandolin world! There was a void without him.

Very exciting news! Can’t wait to learn more and see pics!!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

There’s a five string on the Zeta website. Under the ‘mandolins’ button
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Just a note that cell phone cameras don't always tell the truth. There appear to be some imperfections in the one face shot but those are reflections or something not part of the instrument. Whatever looks like those huge long scratches are something created by the lighting or an issue with my phone. I'll be happy to post pictures of those two again next time I see them, probably tomorrow night.

Name:  IMG_3548.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  213.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3545.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  123.0 KB

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Name:  IMG_3557.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3556.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3554.jpg
Views: 2524
Size:  215.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3553.jpg
Views: 2434
Size:  174.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3552.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  158.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3549.jpg
Views: 2400
Size:  168.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3546.jpg
Views: 2431
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3545.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  123.0 KB

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Very, very interesting...thanks!

Bolt on neck?

Nice Florida treatment.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Bolt on neck was the first thing I noticed too..... I am not sure what I think about that, especially for the price.

wonder whats under that access plate on the bottom near the neck joint? something to do with the built in electrics is my first thought, but wouldn't it be cool if it was a neck adjustment fixture.

very pretty, classic shape and color. bet they sound exceptional plugged in.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Stompbox View Post
    Bolt on neck was the first thing I noticed too..... I am not sure what I think about that, especially for the price.
    Rigel sold a lot of mandolins with bolt-on necks at that price point.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

24. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

clem 

Looks like the bridge has the ability to adjust the height of each course of strings individually. Seems like a cool idea.

I even had the model name right in my 1/14 post.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    There’s a five string on the Zeta website. Under the ‘mandolins’ button
    True. This is from several years ago. I don't know anyone who has one and am not sure how many were actually produced.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zeta-JM25-Artist-RstdBEye_StMp-ChocBrst.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	182958
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Wow, Scott, what is that background for the Road Dog mandolin above? An enlarged upside down poster of the inside of a mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Zeta makes amazing violins. I’ve been eyeing one for almost a year. Now this is amazing news!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    Looks like the bridge has the ability to adjust the height of each course of strings individually. Seems like a cool idea.
    I have a feeling that that bridge is very innovative. I wonder how you adjust the height of each pair. Also it looks like the inserts are not ebony but perhaps carbon fiber?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It’s the same type of bridge they use on the violins.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

32. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Blog Entries

Never get tired of looking at Eastman's El Rey mandolin. They were taken by surprise by how popular they were so more are in the pipeline. Sharing this one out here before it goes on social media.

Name:  elrey.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  160.4 KB

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post: