Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gifted mandolin

Default Re: Gifted mandolin

Since this was in a salvage bulk buy and given to me, I don't mind hanging it on the wall. It'll make for a great conversation piece.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Considering this one isn't even playable it might be interesting. I always say that the day that they figure out how to make a mandolin that actually looks like something that would sell without the bling they will own the bottom end of the industry right or wrong.
    I think Paul Hostetter said many years ago that the simple flattops they made with the side vents were actually playable and sounded decently after some proper set up. I think the major problem years ago was that the wood was rarely properly seasoned.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think Paul Hostetter said many years ago that the simple flattops they made with the side vents were actually playable and sounded decently after some proper set up. I think the major problem years ago was that the wood was rarely properly seasoned.
    Paul was a lone voice in the wilderness but I believe he said that he was able to make them playable. The wood was always the issue.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber