Thread: Back to guitar after mandolin break

Default Back to guitar after mandolin break

I’ve been a daily guitar player for years, typically playing at least an hour a day. I got a mandolin about a year ago. I upgraded my mandolin recently and have been devoting more and more of my guitar time to learning songs on my mando, to the point where I just realized that I haven’t picked up my guitar in two weeks, probably my longest break ever. I’m always fighting to retain my guitar repertoire, so I was worried about how rusty I’d be tonight.

On the contrary, I felt more fluent than ever, ripping through clean versions of my favorite Travis picking tunes. I really believe taking up the mandolin has strengthened my guitar playing.

Default Re: Back to guitar after mandolin break

Be careful: you might find yourself > 6 months since you picked up a guitar. If that is the case, your guitar chops will be a bit rusty (don't ask how I know).

3. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Long-time guitar player as well. Picked up mandolin a few years ago. I try to practice (play) both daily.

I do think that playing the mandolin has helped my guitar playing, and my ear in general.

5. The following members say thank you to gfury for this post:

===========

Every time I pick up a new instrument, my playing of old instruments improves, to some extent or another; (kind of like musical cross-training),

I have found that as long as you are playing some instrument on a regular basis, any rust that might develop on other instruments can be shaken off pretty quickly

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Me too....
    I focused on mando for 7 years, in order to progress, and to think in mando rather than guitar, (and because i found a niche as such among my muso buds)
    Then 2 years on banjo....ditto...(really helped my open d and g playing on guitar (another unfortunate niche, lol!)

I find, if others aren't multi instrumental, one is expected to play “The DesignatedInstrument”....otherwise toes are tread upon....

I always played guitar during these times...but...not so much as a solo instrument, nor as focused upon growth or precision....got soft in the head a bit as far as thinking creatively, tricks and licks, if you will, when playing with others....a bit

But now, due to bands being in flux, I’m back on guitar, in earnest, renewing my jazz interests.....and reading and chops.

Just curious about what your guitar and mandolins are.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    Just curious about what your guitar and mandolins are.
    Guitars: Martin 00-18 and Blueridge BR-163A.

Mandolins: Northfield Model M and Kentucky KM-270.