Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who?

===========

Default Who?

I was recently reminiscing abut a local cable television show that I did in Hartford, CT, about 25 years ago. At one point, the co-hostess of the show said that I sounded like a cross between James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Donald Fagan. (My brain hurts just thinking about that conglomeration.) Several years later, somebody told me that I sounded like Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day; (that was a REAL stretch!)

Anyhow - who have people told you that YOU sound like?

Default Re: Who?

When I (reluctantly, because I preferred to play guitar or drums) sang in punk bands my friends said I sounded like a female Oscar the Grouch....
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

My dog tells me I sound a lot like his cousin, especially when I howl.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

No-one has ever told me I sound like anyone. I've always assumed this is because they have never heard anything quite like it.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

I was playing with my Gypsy jazz group at a holiday craft fair, and a guy came up and told me I sounded like Jethro Burns. I was pretty pleased, to say the least.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

About 40 years ago, after my former bandmates heard a song I had written, one said I should call Kris Kristofferson to ask if someone had stolen a page out of his songbook. This was not a compliment and I was embarrassed.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

If you like Pete Stampfel you'll love me.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I was told tony iommi. Weird because I always thought I had more of a Clapton vibe...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

Grumpy.

Or Monopoly Man.

It's a long story, I don't want to talk about either of them.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I was recently reminiscing abut a local cable television show that I did in Hartford, CT, about 25 years ago. At one point, the co-hostess of the show said that I sounded like a cross between James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Donald Fagan. (My brain hurts just thinking about that conglomeration.) Several years later, somebody told me that I sounded like Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day; (that was a REAL stretch!)

Anyhow - who have people told you that YOU sound like?
    Jack Benny playing his violin on his show ! Don't remember Jack Benny ? Either you are young or I'm old ! Answer:both !

Blog Entries

I don't sing. I just don't. But I remember my mother trying to coax me: "If that Bob Dylan is making a living, you could be a millionaire."
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

===========

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I don't sing. I just don't. But I remember my mother trying to coax me: "If that Bob Dylan is making a living, you could be a millionaire."

Wow, ain't that the truth! Playing in bands for many years I never sang a single note because I was just not a good singer; (and more than a few people told me so, in no uncertain terms), Then one day I started really listening to some people who had hit records and/or were really big stars, and realized that (in my opinion) they were terrible stingers too . . . so, I gave it a try.

All these years later I am still not a very good singer - but at least I have lots of company in that department.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

When my mom had her cochlear implants put in, and after she'd had time to adjust, and I got a chance to sing for her and her actually be able to hear me for the first time, she told me I sounded like Carole King. It was touching and made me tear up a little, King was one of her favorites when she was a teenager and still had a little bit of her natural hearing left. Beyond that I've never been told that I sound like anyone in particular, just that my voice and demeanor well-suited for folk music (I get a lot of compliments for my Stan Rogers covers and Irish fighting tunes lol)

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Wow, ain't that the truth! Playing in bands for many years I never sang a single note because I was just not a good singer; (and more than a few people told me so, in no uncertain terms), Then one day I started really listening to some people who had hit records and/or were really big stars, and realized that (in my opinion) they were terrible stingers too . . . so, I gave it a try.

All these years later I am still not a very good singer - but at least I have lots of company in that department.
    Same here. (See #7.)

I throw myself into it. The wannahears and don't-wannahears sort themselves out promptly

I started singing along once and the guitar player says to me " wow,is there a melody that goes with that?"..

20. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

FredK 

Going back a ways...

A guy in a jam once thought I was channeling his deceased friend and, not only that, but from a few thousand miles away, because I was playing a particular tune in what he said was exactly the same way that his friend had played it. (Instrumental dance music, no singing.)

I sort of hated to disappoint the guy by revealing my boring technical explanation rather than a good ghost story, but I told him the truth, which was that I'd diligently learned that tune note-for-note via serious half-speed analysis of a 7-inch-reel tape recording I had of his friend's playing (small world, eh) which included that very same tune. I had spent hours and weeks on a couple of those tunes that I really liked, working out all the subtle expressions and every detail that I could figure out (some I never did figure out though), and trying to get my hands to make those same sounds on the fretboard.

Nowadays when learning tunes I sort of do my own thing, rather than copying every detail of someone else's playing that I admire. But it's a good way to learn stuff, and I still sometimes do half-speed analysis, although now I tend to settle on arrangements that usually turn out quite a bit different than the original.

So I probably won't be mistaken for a ghost again anytime soon.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    ... the truth, that I'd diligently learned that tune note-for-note via ... recording I had of his friend's playing ...
    Sound like appreciated compliments all around!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

23. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

A recording engineer once said I sounded like Arlo Guthrie. I had a bit of a cold at the time.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I get David Grohl from Foo Fighters / Nirvana often - though I just cut my hair, so maybe not anymore.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

I have sort of a Norman Blake, anachronistic vibe going on. Except I'm hella slow. So, imagine Norman Blake on horse tranquilizers. Maybe something like that.

27. The following members say thank you to Joe Dodson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I started singing along once and the guitar player says to me " wow,is there a melody that goes with that?"..
    I wasn't there, but I heard that Frank Wakefield paid a couple of very backhanded compliments to a much loved mandolin player from around these parts, telling him: "I like what you're trying to do there," and "If I could play that many notes, I'd play half of them!"

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dodson For This Useful Post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    "If I could play that many notes, I'd play half of them!"
    THAT'S a great line . . . and so true too!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    I have sort of a Norman Blake, anachronistic vibe going on. Except I'm hella slow. So, imagine Norman Blake on horse tranquilizers. Maybe something like that.
    That’s hilarious! I was at a late night gathering about ten years ago and someone said my guitar playing was like Norman Blake on acid! I wasn’t sure what to think, but I took it as a compliment! It kinda linked my love of the Grateful Dead and my love of old time music. I just do what I do.

32. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Bob Saget. Actually.

Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    No-one has ever told me I sound like anyone. I've always assumed this is because they have never heard anything quite like it.
    That's pretty much how it is for me. About the only thing people say about my singing is to please stop.

If I'm being coy, I might say, as Leo Kottke described his voice in the liner notes for the album on which he first sang, my voice is like "geese frats on a muggy day." I've stopped saying this, as the reference is too obscure to be remembered and a bit too self-effacing. Also, he is a much better singer than that, despite what must have been his sincere appraisal, and also than me.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!