Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who?

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Who?

A lady I used to work with thought I sounded like Harrison Ford. I used to leave messages on her voice mail with famous HF quotes from his movies. Like, “Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?” Or, “I’m the president of the United States!”
    Living’ in the Mitten

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I always thought that I sounded like that guy I see in the mirror every morning.... JK, no one has ever told me I sound like any particular singer, but back in college a lot of people told me I looked and sounded just like Matthew Broaderick... Maybe the same now, just an older fatter version. Imagine Ferris Beuller as a bald guy skipping work,... yea that works.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That's pretty much how it is for me. About the only thing people say about my singing is to please stop.

If I'm being coy, I might say, as Leo Kottke described his voice in the liner notes for the album on which he first sang, my voice is like "geese frats on a muggy day." I've stopped saying this, as the reference is too obscure to be remembered and a bit too self-effacing. Also, he is a much better singer than that, despite what must have been his sincere appraisal, and also than me.
    I'm picturing a geese frat party.

Not pretty.

At a jam several years ago a guy kept going on and on that I looked like Grandpa Jones. I don't think he meant it as a compliment. So one of my turns I said speaking of Grandpa Jones let's do Eight More Miles to Louisville. He got kinda mad then because he couldn't keep up.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    At a jam several years ago a guy kept going on and on that I looked like Grandpa Jones.
    Do you look like the 'real' Grandpa Jones, or the 'stage' one?

My old radio boss used to promote lots of country music shows back in the 50's and 60's; (that is how he was once offered the job as Bill Monroe's manager). One night he booked Grandpa Jones. After the show this younger, well-dressed, man approached him at the box office and asked him to be paid. He looked at the guy and said; 'Who are you?' . . . he didn't recognize Grandpa out of his old man stage outfit.

My singing has been compared to Kris Kristopherson, and was intended as a compliment; but I can't get it out of my head how Kristopherson describes his own voice: "I sound like a frog."
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Blog Entries

When I was primarily a sax player, I got compared to Paul Desmond a couple times (think "Take Five"). I don't sing enough to draw a comparison, and I'm not sure any of my peers know enough mandolin players to reference against.

I get people telling me I look like Tom Petty. Unfortunately, no one's ever told me I sound like him.

When I was playing in punk bands years back, one band was compared to The Lazy Cowgirls. I was doing the writing. It made sense to a point.

If you read up on Jimi Hendrix, you’d know he hated his voice. While guitar came easy, he took many many vox takes..... I find that absurd, his vocals were great.

Just because you don’t like your own, doesn’t mean you are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompbox View Post
    Just because you don’t like your own, doesn’t mean you are not good.
    It's worth bearing in mind that all the possible inversions of this are also true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    No-one has ever told me I sound like anyone. I've always assumed this is because they have never heard anything quite like it.
    True enough. But I think, in most cases, it is because before the new Prairie Home Companion nobody, (and since, hardly anyone) has knowingly heard a mandolin being played. Who do I sound like? Some guy playing that crazy little banjolukee thing. You know the one that Claire Coffee's husband plays on that show, that Here We Are From There show.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....