Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre NAMM discussion

Default Re: Pre NAMM discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    <Finally! Schmergel is going to release the budget Annihilator line! The Devastator has been way out of reach for the typical player for way too long. Awesome: a budget line to answer the issue of unobtanium!
    I thought that Gilchrist was Shmergel's PacRim budget line???

2. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

It's going to be hard to top last year with the debut of the Waterloo mandos, the electric El Rey, and to tenor Telecaster. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop!!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Blog Entries

Hmmm. You always do an thorough job covering the vendor displays and some of the interesting folks walking around. I want more food photos.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Hmmm. You always do an thorough job covering the vendor displays and some of the interesting folks walking around. I want more food photos.

Jamie
    Well, you probably know this, but I have a secret food life (outside of chicken soup, even) that parallels mandolin in about the same amount of craziness. Came out a couple days early to Anaheim for that very purpose, having breakfast at my favorite Japanese bakery ever (Okayama Kobo Bakery & Cafe) in the old part of town, several miles North from the little white Disney princess madness. Headed to Little Saigon for Bun Cha this afternoon. All the things I wish Kansas had, but never will.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I predict you will not see an electric 10-string mando. Slight chance of acoustic, around 3%.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I predict you will not see an electric 10-string mando. Slight chance of acoustic, around 3%.
    Oh sure, there are usually a few if you look. Everything is here. Finding it, that's another story.

Blog Entries

There was a previous mention Calton has a newly designed mandolin case. Morgan Music just literally posted one a few minutes ago. I have reminders set to go by and check it out in person and will take some photographs and ask questions. Looks really nice. I like what they're doing since they moved to Austin, the new mandolin capital of the world.

Name:  calton.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  397.5 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Scott!

Don't forget to hit a taco truck at 2AM. LA is the taco truck capitol of the world. My daughter has a taco truck right by her house, open until 1AM on weeknights, 3 AM on Fri' and Sat.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    A Calton sales rep told me a little while back that they're coming out soon with a new F-model mandolin case, still tapered like the traditional A/F version, but a little larger at each end to provide better peghead scroll and lower body point clearance. Can you confirm that with them? Thanks!
    It’s already out. TME has several, and I saw one in the classifieds. It’s based on their violin case shell.

https://themusicemporium.com/accesso...black-interior
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    It’s already out. TME has several, and I saw one in the classifieds. It’s based on their violin case shell.

https://themusicemporium.com/accesso...black-interior
    That looks really nice. Is that a big compartment below the tailpiece? I would think it would be a bit heavier than their standard model. It’s a pricy case, but I like it!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Yes, John. The large compartment near the tailpiece is somewhat standard on a lot of violin cases. They are using the basic geography of their violin case.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My old Calton has a nice storage space under the neck support. I would opt for a smaller case and forgo the storage at the bout end.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    My old Calton has a nice storage space under the neck support. I would opt for a smaller case and forgo the storage at the bout end.
    My thoughts exactly. Keep same basic size and shape, just make it enough bigger to give the peghead and lower body point more internal clearance.

Not to hijack this thread but I liked Scott's comment "I like what they're doing since they moved to Austin, the new mandolin capital of the world."

I agree that it's remarkable how much mandolin-related commerce and activity we have here in the greater-Austin area. I keep thinking that we need to have some mandolin-centric event around here that could include workshops along with guided tours of: Ellis/Pava, Collings, Calton, Passerning -- not to mention the ability to catch some of the notable Austin music scene. And we do have some mandolin players with connections to the area: Sarah Jarosz, Kym Warner, Billy Bright, Joel Hobbs with the Austin Mandolin Orchestra, and yours truly, among others.

Just a thought...but in the meantime, back to NAMM!!

Paul
    Paul Glasse
    Driftwood, Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

My thoughts exactly. Keep same basic size and shape, just make it enough bigger to give the peghead and lower body point more internal clearance.
    I think the Texans figured this out a few years ago when the case was redesigned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	182891  

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    I think the Texans figured this out a few years ago when the case was redesigned.
    Yes, for the peghead, but in my experience what they did was shift the angle of the instrument slightly to push the lower body point within a half inch or so of the case interior--too close for comfort, and easily remedied by making the case an inch or so wider at both ends. I sent a brand new Calton back in late 2017 for this very reason.

Yes, for the peghead, but in my experience what they did was shift the angle of the instrument slightly to push the lower body point within a half inch or so of the case interior--too close for comfort, and easily remedied by making the case an inch or so wider at both ends. I sent a brand new Calton back in late 2017 for this very reason.
    I honestly can’t see how the body would be able to shift enough to nail the lower point based on the way the bottom end fits on either side of said point. I suppose anything is possible though.

Today’s rampant speculation.........

Gibson announces a new line of carbon fiber mandolins. “We’re just following our tradition of innovation”. Says J.C. Curleigh, Gibson CEO. And good wood is getting so hard to get”.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

In the race to claim the most authentic Loar era spec and graduated F5 mandolin ever produced, the new Gibson management team confirms that indeed, using DNA collected from the inside of a 1924 F-5 mandolin, Gibson has successfully cloned Loyd Loar himself. Loyd Loar will replace Dave Harvey in March.

25. The following members say thank you to archerscreek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    I honestly can’t see how the body would be able to shift enough to nail the lower point based on the way the bottom end fits on either side of said point. I suppose anything is possible though.
    May be unlikely, but this is cutting it way too close:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9774.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	564.4 KB 
ID:	182919 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	785.1 KB 
ID:	182920

May be unlikely, but this is cutting it way too close:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9774.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	564.4 KB 
ID:	182919 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	785.1 KB 
ID:	182920
    Case in point, er rather point in case...

28. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

The NKLS Mandolin is here!
    Speculation over, just heard that a very big and well known guitar manufacturer has spent a lot of money on research and development, talking to beginner mandolinists.
    They discovered that the greatest obstacle to people learning mandolin is the fretboard.
    -well Pardner, who would have believed it?

Now they have rationalized our funny, funky out of date musical instrument and done away with the neck altogether.
    Frets? No more! And the manufacturer says that the mandolin fretboard never was much fun to make anyway, so it’s a win/win situation for everyone.

The boys in marketing have come up with a pretty dandy name too, they like to call it The NKLS mandolin.
    These guys say that their research shows that a completely incompetent, couldn’t care less, day one beginner can play the neckless mandolin like Chris Thile within about 8 minutes -the time will vary, it all depends on how well the musician can read C++. Yes folks it’s a computer language. Get with it!

And again, don’t forget to tell them you heard this first on MandolinCafe!
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jan-17-2020 at 11:35am.

Surprise, last speculation.

The Mandolin Store moves to Lawrence, Kansas. “I had to be where the action is” says Dennis Vance. “Apologies to Austin.”
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A