Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tone Dexter users?

Default Re: Tone Dexter users?

This thread, the piezo and preamp threads as well, will probably all be impacted if Zeta gets traction with its new mandolins.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    This thread, the piezo and preamp threads as well, will probably all be impacted if Zeta gets traction with its new mandolins.
    Are you implying that everybody is going to get rid of their pre-amps and pickup'ed mandolins in favor of a Zeta mandolin? It will be nice to have that option, but I don't think it will have such an impact that people will stop trying to find ways to optimize sound reinforcement on their mandolin of choice.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

I'm not looking for a "silent" electric option. I simply want my instrument to sound as close to "itself" as possible when playing live. Tone Dexter and my geek option don't slap a sound onto your mandolin. They both just make the preamp sound close to the mic'd up sound. So, it sounds and feels completely natural. The sound of the real instrument is what inspires me to play.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Are you implying that everybody is going to get rid of their pre-amps and pickup'ed mandolins in favor of a Zeta mandolin? It will be nice to have that option, but I don't think it will have such an impact that people will stop trying to find ways to optimize sound reinforcement on their mandolin of choice.
    Of course not. It’ll be another option for players who need a solution to the volume problem, either to play natural or with any variety of synth sounds. I think the jam band group will like this as well as other players who play a variety of genres and will now have the ability to change sounds easily.

I was surprised to be impressed with the sound of a flat top, f hole mandolin. You can listen to it on their website.

And electric instruments are pretty real too.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Well, to carry on with this completely geeky thread...
    I bought a Joyo Cab Box to handle IR loading. The Mooer Radar works fine but the lack of an easy interface made me look at other options. The Cab Box also has midi in so I can use it with a midi foot controller to change patches. Pretty cool.

I spent last weekend and created the IRs of all my instruments (using my instructions above with a few edits). I loaded them into the Cab Box and tweaked the internal EQ a bit. All instruments sound great. I head out on tour (North Carolina and West Virginia) tomorrow and I will be using this pedal setup for the first time. Wish me luck! I will post back on how it goes. Who knows, maybe I will make some generic IRs and make them available to anyone who wants to try them out.
    Collings MT Mandola
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars

Just got back from my short tour. The IR loading in the Joyo Cab Box worked amazingly well. All the guys in the band said it was the best that most of the instruments ever sounded in a live show.

I used this on:
    Gibson F5 mandolin
    Petersen Bozouki
    Collings Mandola
    5&6 string Recording King banjos
    Wechter Resonator
    Collings 002H guitar

I used the foot switches on the Cab Box to go to different impulse responses for each of the instruments. The only sound I was not 100% blown away by was the banjos. I just need to tweak them a bit more. The other instruments sounded very much like they had a microphone on them. Once I get a bit of a chance, I will make some audio clips to show the difference. I know this is a convoluted (pun intended) way to get a good sound. For me, it was well worth the effort. Each of the instruments sounded absolutely natural. No weird piezo pickup peaking sounds. No harshness.
    Collings MT Mandola
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars

Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying a ToneDexter. But for the hardcore do-it-yourselfers, there is this which is very similar to the approach described by McIrish on this thread:
    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=571361
    James May
    Audio Sprockets
    creator of ToneDexter

Why is this not offered as a plugin? The ability to set it up once, and from then on be able to record your piezo pickup (free of worry about background noises) and render the file as though you'd recorded with a mic seems to me to be marketable enough to have at least been considered.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com