Thread: Yamaha jr2 to tenor conversion

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Yamaha jr2 to tenor conversion

After stupidly selling my Blueridge BT-40 a few years ago due to scale length issues, I realized I'd like to give tenor guitar another try. I didn't want to spend much $ in case I decided again that I just couldn't do it. I've seen other conversions here so I decided to try one myself, converting a cheap Yamaha JR2 (3/4 sized) that i got on Craigslist. The scale length is around 22 inches.

I used a dremel with a carbide cutoff wheel to cut through the frets and remove the outer pieces . Then I switched to a saw attachment and again used the dremel to cut the neck down to the width I wanted, then sanded it smooth. I filled in the two middle tuning machine holes, made a metal plate to cover the back of the headstock, and a new veneer for the front of the headstock.

I then installed a cheap pickup and made a new bone nut and saddle.

I know it's a total hack job as far as workmanship goes, but I didn't care as I was going for an antiquish/vintage look anyway. I tried to make it resemble an old Gibson without making a counterfeit. Therefore, I inlaid the headstock to read "Gilson" and printed a fake label stating that it is "guaranteed against being a product of Gibson. I just thought it would be kinda funny. I doubt I'll ever sell it, but if I do I will be certain to stress that it is in no way, shape, or form a Gibson product.

I've really enjoyed messing around with the build, as well as learning to play something with a longer scale than a mandolin. The folks at the open mics i go to get a real kick out of it. They tell me that the guitar sounds great, with a much bigger sound than they expected.

Attached are a stock photo of what it looked like originally and the pics since I butchered it up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamahajr2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	182793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	747.6 KB 
ID:	182794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor2.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	658.6 KB 
ID:	182795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor4.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	646.5 KB 
ID:	182796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor 3.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	182797
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve VandeWater For This Useful Post:

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Re: Yamaha jr2 to tenor conversion

I don't know why some of the pics are sideways. Sorry
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Good on you, looks like fun.

5. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Nicely done. I have done two Squier minis into tenors since they have removable necks. Acoustic instruments are a lot tougher with the fixed neck.

I would like to try a concert size body to see if the acoustics are better than these Jr guitars.

7. The following members say thank you to neilca for this post: