Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monel strings

Default Monel strings

Hard to find these in my neck of the woods, so finally ordered them to put on my loud and bright Arches kit F. So first impressions, they warmed up the mandolin significantly at the cost of a bit of volume. Do these change much after breaking them in? Certainly something to try if you want to tone down brightness. My J75s were dead, dead , dead, so the monels were immediately lively. Time will tell.

On the subject of strings, I'm liking the Martin coated strings I put on my D 35. They sound and feel great.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Monel strings

@Br1ck, which brand are you using? I've tried Kurt Mangan & Martins on my Silverangel. I find that they don't have as dramatic of a break-in as PB strings, and I get a lot more life out of them. They sound right almost immediately, or as we used to say in the recording studio "they sound like a record".

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    @Br1ck, which brand are you using? I've tried Kurt Mangan & Martins on my Silverangel. I find that they don't have as dramatic of a break-in as PB strings, and I get a lot more life out of them. They sound right almost immediately, or as we used to say in the recording studio "they sound like a record".
    Only Monel strings I have found that suits my ears are Curt Mangan strings and I use exclusively on my Girouard ovals . Don't care as much for Monel on my F5 or A5 mandolins.

4. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

The Mangan monels have 99% of the volume of J-74's in my opinion. I noticed the Martin monels seem a bit more subdued.
    I use the Mangan's on my '13 Vessel F5, and really love how they sound on that mandolin. On my Duff, not so much.

YMMV

I tried several strings on my A mandolin. It is a great mandolin but leans toward the modern sound and I like the traditional dry woody sound. With the Curt Mangan Monel strings I get close to that traditional sound and they are plenty loud. Pretty easy to play and seem to last fairly long. Like any strings just depends on the mandolin and player.

7. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Using Martins now. I'll use them up and try the Curt Mangans. My mandolin did have volume to spare and they do warm it up.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

+1 for Curt Mangan monel strings. They sound fantastic on my Weber Scarlet River...better than the D’Addario phosphorus I had been using. Not sure about the loudness, but the monel add an extra ‘shimmer’ to the tone somehow... different harmonics, maybe?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khatarlan For This Useful Post:

I've got the D'A Monels on my Gilchrist model 5 and they are my favorite so far. I had been using the D'A ExpCM sets and really liked those as well. Previously I had tried the now extinct Gibson Monels and did not care for them. The D'A are much more balanced and I love the feel under the finger.

I used to like the Sam Bush’s, except for the lighter A strings. Have Martin monels on my dreadnaught presently and really like them. They’re plenty loud, but darker sounding than PB. I think I’m going to get some mandolin monels with my next string order.
    Chuck

Been using them on both my Gibson (Mangan medium) and Kalamazoo (Mangan lights). So far like them on the Gibson better. Maybe it's the deeper body and mahogany back and sides on the Kalamazoo but it may be muting the sound too much. Just very quiet compared to my other mandolins. Or, after about 3 months, they might be due for a change.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I’m getting used to the tone and really liking it. Adds a resonance to the wound strings that is quite pleasing.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I am using Martin Retro monnels on my guitar (a luthier one with a very unique bracing) as they suit well to this instrument but have not tried on mandolin yet but I guess it should interesting on my Ibanez Gibson a-5 copy (the Jehro Burns', not the Loar's) as I play it with flatwounds rather that bronze roundwounds.

I've got the D'Addario Monels on my F5S and Kimble. They bring out the woodiness in both, and not a significant drop in volume from the 74's that came on both.

They seem to last forever, without a big drop in tone. Before I got those two, I tried a set on my Weber, and they were not as good as the Straight up set on that one.

I have a set of the Martin monels on my D28 and they're awesome.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

I've tried the Curt Mangan and Martin Monel mandolin strings (not the D'Addarios yet) and felt the Mangans were quite a bit better than the Martins. Seemed like better tone, volume and presence to me. For want of a more precise description the Mangan Monels seemed to be overall higher class strings than the Martin Monels - more presence, better volume and tone, and nicer under the fingers.

The Mangan strings do cost more but I found the tone and quality difference worth the extra $. There's a 20% discount available on the Mangan site too - one of the forum members has posted a discount code so that helps make them even a bit more attractive.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

18. The following members say thank you to Aaron Bohnen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bohnen View Post
    I've tried the Curt Mangan and Martin Monel mandolin strings (not the D'Addarios yet) and felt the Mangans were quite a bit better than the Martins. Seemed like better tone, volume and presence to me. For want of a more precise description the Mangan Monels seemed to be overall higher class strings than the Martin Monels - more presence, better volume and tone, and nicer under the fingers.

The Mangan strings do cost more but I found the tone and quality difference worth the extra $. There's a 20% discount available on the Mangan site too - one of the forum members has posted a discount code so that helps make them even a bit more attractive.

Enjoy!
    The cheapest place I have found to purchase Mangan strings or any strings is givemesomestrings.com Great service also !

I also prefer the Mangans over the Martins (which I didn't say in my original post) - great presence & life.

21. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Are there any long-time users of monel wrapped strings here? I've found that i prefer the sound of monel over phosphor/bronze. It seems slightly warmer, less zingy.

Monel is very hard though, ranging from slightly softer to harder than most stainless steels, so I'm a little worried about fret wear. Does anyone know which monel alloy is used for string wrapping?

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bohnen View Post

Enjoy!
    The discount code for 20% off anything you order at Curt Mangan is "WISEMAN20" (all caps).
    These are the same Guages as the D'a ECP74CMs... I like the 11.5 E and the 16 A's
    Curt Mangan Monel Mandolin Strings
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Wiseman For This Useful Post:

Used D'A Monels mando strings for a couple years. Switched to Mangan because they come in gauges I like better and sound as good as D'A IMHO.
    Also use round-core Mangan Monels(13-56) on my Eastman AR605 archtop guitar. Love them.

Of all the different brand monel strings I tried , I prefer Curt Mangan best !

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Of all the different brand monel strings I tried , I prefer Curt Mangan best !
    Me too!
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    The discount code for 20% off anything you order at Curt Mangan is "WISEMAN20" (all caps).
    These are the same Guages as the D'a ECP74CMs... I like the 11.5 E and the 16 A's
    These GW monel strings are really great, and not just cause you get a picture of Gabe on the cover.
    I'm on my second set and I am very happy with them. As good for better than D'addarios and in the gauges I love.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I also prefer the Mangan strings. Like the heavier gauge offerings. Have them on my Gil, A2 and Godin. Would put them on my Mann if there was a good C string gauge.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    Thanks for the discount code and the recommendation. I liked the D'As but was disappointed they were not offering the mixed medium set in Monel. I'm sure I could have played the mix and match game, but that's just a pain.

Thread bump...
    Just put on a set of Curt Mangan monel strings on my "Bell" mandolin (round hole) and am very happy with them. A bit warmer than PB and no loss of volume that I can tell.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings