Thread: 1967 Gibson F-5 Custom

Default 1967 Gibson F-5 Custom

A friend of mine has a 1967 Gibson F5 Custom. It has the original case, papers, and looks as if it has never been played. I haven't looked at it personally yet, but I'm trying to get some information on it. Does anyone have any idea what this instrument would be worth? He is asking $5,000.00, but said he might take $4000.00.

Thanks; Steve

Default Re: 1967 Gibson F-5 Custom

The 1960s were not a good time for Gibsons, it's overpriced IMHO unless it sounds very very good.

Dave H

I'm pretty sure he won't get the price that he "might" take. One way he could check the market is to put it on eBay with a high reserve. The bidding will go to what the market is willing to pay. Relist at that price after the auction ends. There aren't any current sales on eBay that would apply to this year and model. Don't confuse what stores and auctions are asking for an item with what people will pay for one.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

Also, be aware that Gibson often added the word "Custom" to standard models during the 1970's, and also re-used serial numbers.
    And '70's models are worth quite a bit less.
    A quick way to tell the difference is to look at the "Gibson" logo on the peghead. If it's in block letters, it was made in the '60's. If it's a script logo, it's a '70's model.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think it is a bit overpriced myself, and most of what you guys are saying about that era for Gibson is what I've found other places.

Thanks again; Steve

Teacher, repair person

Better mandolins in the same price range are available from other makers.

Yes, I just bought a Northfield F5S. It plays and sounds great and I gave less than 3K for it. I just always wanted a Gibson, and this one is in pristine condition like it's hardly ever been played. But I agree, Gibsons can be more about the name than anything else.

Steve, if you can go and look at the instrument, could you please take a few photos and post them? I am particularly interested in the configuration of the headstock. I have a 1969 F5 Custom that I have owned and played for over 50 years. I am curious if the headstock (or is the proper term, peghead?) has a perfectly straight line from the tip to the left side, or a small curvature that Gibson seemed to use for a few years.
    As for what it is worth, if it sounds good, I would expect he could get $4000 for it but it might take some time for the right buyer to step up.
    ....Rickker

If all original and date is correct than $4000 is a good price.