Thread: Vega cylinders -- strings for mando, dola, cello?

Default Vega cylinders -- strings for mando, dola, cello?

Folks,

I'm trying to put my house in order and to that end will put new strings on my three Vega cylinder-backs, a mandolin, a mandola, and a mandocello. I have had great advice from these forums about string choice for other mandos in my herd. What works best for these Vegas? As always, thanks for your help.

Joe

Default Re: Vega cylinders -- strings for mando, dola, cello?

I use the standard D'Addario set for my '16 mandolin, but my '12 mandocello is currently strung as a bouzouki, with the D'Addario Irish bouzouki string set with the exepetion of nickel wound .018s for the A string. Since there is no truss rod, I would be wary of using standard mandocello strings.

Teacher, repair person

Keep 'em light. The tops on these instruments are lightly built. A lot of them have been ruined by over-stringing.

I wouldn't go any heavier than 10-14-24-38 for a mandolin, and 12-20-32-46 for a mandola.

I can't give you any numbers for a 'cello, but be aware that the off-the-shelf 'cello sets that I see will tear an old Gibson to pieces quickly, and your Vega is built much lighter than a Gibson. I'd start off very light and only increase with great caution. I might try to start with a C string in the low 50's, a G around 40, D around 28, and take the above advice for an A around 18.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jan-11-2020 at 2:33pm.

I've been using chrome steel flatwound Thomastiks on my cylinder backs lately..expensive strings but they last a long time and I like the feel and tone.

mandocello - Thomastik Liuto Set Number 1804
    mandola - Thomastik Alt-Mandola Set 164
    mandolin - Thomastik Mandolin Medium Set 154

Thanks, folks, for the good advice. Know that you all have contributed to the wellness and future life of my Vegas.

Joe