Thread: Flatiron Pancake v. Sawchyn Beavertail v. Poe Scout

Default Flatiron Pancake v. Sawchyn Beavertail v. Poe Scout

Anybody ever do a realtime comparison between these? If so, could you please share your insights regarding tone, volume, playability, etc. etc?

Thanks!

2. The following members say thank you to timacn for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Flatiron Pancake v. Sawchyn Beavertail v. Poe Scout

Quote Originally Posted by timacn View Post
    Anybody ever do a realtime comparison between these? If so, could you please share your insights regarding tone, volume, playability, etc. etc?
    I can only answer two-thirds of your query, as I have not yet had the good fortune to play a Beavertail. But I bought a Flatiron as my second mandolin, and I really loved the way it sounded, with a strong fundamental tone and a loud voice. I didn’t love the way that it played, though, with its flat board and tiny frets, and I especially despised the clamshell tailpiece that asked me to change strings around a corner. So after I had progressed through a couple of others — including a Mid-Missouri, a Gypsy, and a pair of Redline Travelers (which should perhaps be in your comparison) — I custom ordered a Poe Scout modeled on the earlier Gibson Alrite:

https://www.poestrings.net/poe-74-scout-mandolin

I have posted about it elsewhere (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Alrite-Tribute), but the short form is that it’s the best flattop I’ve ever played or owned. It combines the pancake tone of the Flatiron with modern playability features (compound radius, adjustable truss rod and bridge, stainless frets, etc.) and best of all a Waverly Cloud tailpiece that doesn’t ask me to change strings around a corner. Andy simply does wonderful work when he’s doing work. Highly recommended.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks, pheffernan. I missed buying that Poe Scout on the 'cafe yesterday. I'll keep looking. They don't come up too often.

5. The following members say thank you to timacn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by timacn View Post
    Thanks, pheffernan. I missed buying that Poe Scout on the 'cafe yesterday. I'll keep looking. They don't come up too often.
    Yeah, you won’t be seeing mine any time soon.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If you’re looking, I’d expand your search. There are a lot of nice flattops being made. The Northfield Calhoun sounds wonderful on the video of Sharon Gilchrist playing it. She could make almost any mandolin sound great, but still. Red Valley Mandolins are very nice, as are Travellers. I think I’m going to get a Hobo to go with my Beavertail. Maybe this spring. I love how they look, and I know the build quality, playability and sound ate going to be excellent. https://m.facebook.com/SawchynGuitar...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    If you’re looking, I’d expand your search. There are a lot of nice flattops being made. The Northfield Calhoun sounds wonderful on the video of Sharon Gilchrist playing it. She could make almost any mandolin sound great, but still. Red Valley Mandolins are very nice, as are Travellers. I think I’m going to get a Hobo to go with my Beavertail. Maybe this spring. I love how they look, and I know the build quality, playability and sound ate going to be excellent. https://m.facebook.com/SawchynGuitar...type=3&theater
    I'll second considering a hobo as well. I couldn't be happier with mine.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

That Sawchyn FB link reminds me that I've always been curious how the flattops with F holes sound relative to the Oval holed ones... can anyone speak to that?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Another one that the builder sells in the classified section here is the Morris flattop. The price is right, and the reviews I’ve seen are excellent. I haven’t played one but would love to. There are a bunch made overseas too.
    Last edited by bruce.b; Jan-11-2020 at 12:33am.

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    That Sawchyn FB link reminds me that I've always been curious how the flattops with F holes sound relative to the Oval holed ones... can anyone speak to that?
    My curiosity is piqued as well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    Another one that the builder sells in the classified section here is the Morris flattop. The price is right, and the reviews I’ve seen are excellent. I haven’t played one but would love to. There are a bunch made overseas too.
    One that I’d still consider is an Arches. I don’t believe Chris to be building currently, due to a shop fire, but his FT-O models both look and sound great.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    My curiosity is piqued as well . . .
    I havent played an oval flattop so I can't tell you the difference, but this is what it sounds like when I play the hobo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3x9YwqlJ5c

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tyler Craig For This Useful Post:

Tyler, your video was followed by David Grisman playing the same tune. I personally liked the tone of your Hobo better than the F style that he was playing. It’s a fuller, richer tone, a more resonant sound, not that midrange focused tone he’s getting. That is probably a perfect example of why I like flattops so much. I owned a much more expensive archtop F hole mandolin at one time, and while I liked it, I preferred the flattop I had. My Beavertail is even better than that one was. My personal opinion and nothing more, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    The Sawchyn Beavertail and Hobo would be a fair test, particularly if we could compare several of each model. The only differences between the two, that I’ve read, are a sitka top for the Beavertail vs a red spruce top for the Hobo. There is a mention of hot hide glue for the Hobo, no mention for the Beavertail. Otherwise, same instruments except for the top. Both are X braced with an induced arch. Too bad we don’t have Peter Sawchyn’s opinion.
    Last edited by bruce.b; Jan-11-2020 at 3:43pm.