Thread: Any other Big Muddy owners out there?

Default Any other Big Muddy owners out there?

Hi,

I bought myself an M-1 Big Muddy for my last birthday (already own an Eastman), and I just love it! I would love to hear from other BM owners, as I have only ever met one other. It has the sweetest sound of any mando that I have ever heard and my interactions with builder Mike Dulak have been especially fun.

Happy Playing!

Leslie

Default Re: Any other Big Muddy owners out there?

I have an m4 that's about twenty years old. Sounds great, neck is still nice and straight even without trussrod. Has a sound unique to all my other mandolins and I find I use it most when recording. Great purchase on your part.

3. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I have an m4 that's about twenty years old. Sounds great, neck is still nice and straight even without trussrod. Has a sound unique to all my other mandolins and I find I use it most when recording. Great purchase on your part.
    That's good to hear! I have the sense that the sound will only improve with time.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

My second mando was a rosewood Mid-Missouri. Wonderful, magical instrument. But I don't keep instruments forever. Now I have a couple of other cool mandos and will probably sell one within the year.

Other folks I've talked with rave about them. You have a keeper, if you're the type who keeps.

6. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Charlie--I don't know if I could get rid of this one! I did give away one mandolin once, but it was junk.

A few years ago I had am MW-0 that was a wonderful mandolin. I am not sure what prompted me to sell it. About 6 months ago I bought another MW-0 (primitive). I bought it so I could travel internationally-totally CITES compliant with a maple fret board and bridge. Of course the jokes on me with the changes to CITES, but not really as I’m really happy with it in all respects. It is very light which makes me think it’s fragile until I look at the bracing and all. I plan on holding on to it for a long time. Funny, it gets more play time than my SA. Not sure why.......... And you’re right, Mike D is cool to communicate with.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

9. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Like many I imagine, I found the Big Muddy (or in my case Mike’s earlier incarnation as Mid-Missouri) to be my gateway drug when I migrated over from guitar. I put a lot of hours into that thing, and later sold it to a friend, but I still have fond memories of that instrument and a lot of respect for its builder.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5