Blog Entries

Default Tied notes in TablEdit - How?

Here is a screenshot of a bit of the intro to a Stephen Foster tune:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What I want.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	182714

How do I get the ties to show in TablEdit? There is a button to click for tied notes but I haven't been able to get it to work. Here the best I can do so far in TablEdit:

Name:	Best I can do.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	182713

The ties are quite important to getting this little snippet to sound right.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Default Re: Tied notes in TablEdit - How?

Hank, click on the second note that you want to tie to and press "L".

However TablEdit will only let you tie to the same note so the only pair in your example will be the final note and its "parent". In your example it seems that you are trying to tie different notes? I've only a very limited (to put it mildly!) understanding of music theory but I thought that you could only tie with the same note? I can check with my son who understand these mysterious things when he gets home from school?

Happy New Year Hank.
    I don’t use Tabledit, I usually write this out as a text file and play it with a free abc browser. (Tunebook SD)
    You could just export the file as an .abc, then type in brackets around the group of notes, then reimport the file to Tabledit?

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    ... In your example it seems that you are trying to tie different notes? I've only a very limited (to put it mildly!) understanding of music theory but I thought that you could only tie with the same note? ...
    Yeah, those typed of curved lines are called slurs, not ties. They look the same though.

So the OP's question, then, would be: How to write slurs in TablEdit? I don't know, I seldom use TablEdit anymore, switched most everything to MuseScore a few years ago because nearly everything (including slurs) is so much easier to write, whereas TablEdit had me perpetually confused and frustrated, but maybe it was just me.

Anyway I found the following, maybe there's a clue in there somewhere, not sure, as usual I have a hard time deciphering what they're talking about...

At a TablEdit manual page, in the Slurs section they mention the word "legato":

"The Legato function allows you to insert an arbitrary arch linking a note to another."

Then that section links to another page which says:

"Legato: This function allows you to insert an arch between two notes. The start is taken from the nearest note. The end point is determinated by the duration of the legato...."

Short on time right now so I haven't fired up TablEdit to try that "legato" thing to see if it will make slurs, might not be the right thing, and even if it is the right thing, the instructions look confusing and I might not even be able to figure it out. Saw a few search-engine mentions elsewhere of people trying to use "legato" to make slurs in TablEdit, they didn't seem too pleased with their results, but that was a much older version of TablEdit, maybe it's improved now? Has someone figured out how to do this?

5. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Bunnyf 

Thanks for this last post. I was just tabbing out a piece of music and was wondering why I couldn't get a tie in some places but could get them in others. Now I realize that the places it didn't work were the spots that were really slurs. Gonna try the legato thing. Thanks again!

7. The following members say thank you to Bunnyf for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the suggestions. "Legato" seems to do the trick. Here is what I have been able to do using the Legato function:

Name:	Now.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	182730

Notice the green diamonds that mark the beginning point for each arc. The Legato function is found on the Edit menu, Insert, Legato dialog. You can get there with a right click, Insert, Legato. In that dialog, the first option, "Duration", is a number that controls how long the arc will be. The second option is "Amplitude" which controls the height or depth of the arc.

As far as I can tell, the use of this function has no effect on the midi playback built in with TablEdit, so you still have to kinda imagine the effect. But at least there is an indicator on the score now.

I realize now that the word "tie" is incorrect. My genuine official musical terminology vocabulary is kinda rusty. It has been fifty years plus since I had to read music regularly. But it's not too late!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

9. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Are you tabbing something for the fiddle? The reason for the inquiry is that slurs are a violin thing -- they indicate successive notes played with an uninterrupted bowstroke. There is no such thing as a slur on a mandolin. If you are using TableEdit to produce some notation or tab intended the mandolin, leave the slurs out altogether.

Blog Entries

No, actually, I am transcribing from a rather simple piano arrangement. I am interpreting the arcs in question to indicate phrasing and if so they really change the character of the introduction to the piece (Gentle Annie). Oh, and note that I have transposed the tune down a half tone.

Without the arcs, I would read the snippet as: four and, one and two and, three and four and, one-.
    With the arcs, I read it as: four and one, and two and three, and four and one-. And this interpretation, in turn revealed that departing from the standard DUDU picking pattern made it much easier to produce the phrasing: DUD, DUDU, DUDU- .

But regardless of what they are, I now know how to make them.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Jan-11-2020 at 12:52am.

12. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post: