Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picks

Question Picks

Okay, I know I've only just started playing but I already prefer picks with a little pointy edge rather than the rounded ones. I am right?

Default Re: Picks

Whatever works for you is right. I alternated between rounded and a little more pointy.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If you want to experiment, there are two pick samplers travelling around the country (you can sign up in this part of the Forum) and you can experiment to find out what kind of pick you prefer. You try the picks, then send them onto the next person.

There is no right or wrong in this area, just personal preference. And tastes change. I started out using the pointy end of a medium guitar pick. Then I went to the rounded shoulder. Then a heavy triangle pick with rounded edges. These days I use a 1.5mm large triangle that is pointy-ish. And it's fun to have different ones to mess around with. $5 at the music store buys a ton of picks.
    Mitch Russell

Blog Entries

I've graduated from the large triangle to ridiculously pointy over the years.
    I shape my own as there's nothing out there in the shape I like, but I keep a load of more standard ones in my cases so I can keep checking if my tastes have changed. They're also handy if anyone wants to borrow a plectrum.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

If you want to use a coin or a button, a la Brian May or django, go for it. Whatever is right for you is right for you.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

What kind of music are you pursuing?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

+1 for trying the pick samplers. You never know what you're going to like until you try them all
    (spoiler: it probably won't be the $40 Blue Chip)
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

I only use very pointed picks!

for some classical

for all other mandolin and guitar playing other than Gypsy jazz

for Gypsy jazz

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Cobalt 

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I only use very pointed picks!

for some classical

for all other mandolin and guitar playing other than Gypsy jazz

for Gypsy jazz
    David, is it me or is your massive picture size a bit passive aggressive?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

13. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Once you arrive at a ballpark preference, basic size and shape, just go buy a Blue Chip and save yourself the wondering. You may like it or you may not. If you do it will save you from buying endless amounts of picks, if you don’t, you can easily sell it. Other worthy picks to try are the Dunlop Primetone, and Wegens. Both are in the five to ten dollar range, though you have to buy two.

But get a general idea of size and shape first. You can get a Blue Chip with one rounded corner. I have a TAD 1R 60 I like a lot.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I've tried a lot of mando picks: big, small, fat, thin, triangle, teardrop.

What I like using best: one Dunlop medium plastic thumb pick and two Dunlap .15 mm nickel finger picks. Faster tremolo, more control, and no figuring out what to do with the fingers I'm not using.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    David, is it me or is your massive picture size a bit passive aggressive?
    Sorry - they were the easiest pictures to find online.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Of course there’s right and wrong. What works for you is right, what doesn’t is wrong. No comment on other folks choices.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I am starting off with Celtic music.Its my favorite and I think it's a good bridge between classical and bluegrass. I'm following Mando Mike on YouTube.

I like the look of that heart shaped pick at the top of the page.

It's likely that as you progress with your playing your pick preferences might alter - when I started out I was using the pointy end of a fairly light pick (.72mm) for the first couple of months, but then progressed to picks in the .89mm range (a Blue Chip TPR35), with rounded tips. I play Irish trad music exclusively and found the rounded edge facilitated ease of playing triplets for me. I've experimented with moving up to a 1.0mm pick but always drop back down to the .89mm ones which seem to be the sweet spot for me.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The pick journey is personal, cheaper picks you can buy your own, I did, still have the complete collection. Once in a while I revisit it and find that my preferences have not changed after my playing developed far enough.

Primetones are where I ended up (ultex before that, Dunlop before that), bought some BC's to match the pick shapes I liked in a PT, was fun, on acoustic I use BC's now.

For 4-string electrics I like the brighter sound of the PTs.

I also prefer pointier picks, and developed a love of triangles. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

my preference is for tiny pointy picks, but that's my preference. A lot of people love the bigger, heavier rounded ones. I play ITM and classical (and a bit of choro and klezmer) and I like the point for melody. I don't play chords. BUT -- as everybody has said -- what pick you like is the pick you like. Absolutely experiment with the pick samplers -- and you'll find the mandolin itself may like one pick over another. My snake loves my tiny John Pearse picks and just doesn't care for anything else. My Eastman, which I use when I'm miked up, likes a blue chip (I have a jazz BC, which is tiny and pointy). Finding a pick that you like and your mandolin likes is one of life's little pleasures.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by randi gormley View Post
    . . . I don't play chords. . . .
    =o•
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Jan-12-2020 at 8:35am.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrelle View Post
    I am starting off with Celtic music.Its my favorite and I think it's a good bridge between classical and bluegrass. I'm following Mando Mike on YouTube.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but with mandolin much more than guitar, different picks have different sounds. Thick, heavy picks are warm and mellow, thin, light picks are bright and snappy. I don't think it's uncommon for players to use different picks for different songs or situations.

(Again, I like finger picks. That's not a recommendation. I use them mainly because after years playing guitar (with bare fingers, finger picks, and flat picks), I find it impossible to get comfortable with the flat-pick monkey-clutch mando players use. After about five years trying to flat pick mando-style, I've pretty much thrown in the towel and usually just put on some finger picks so I don't have to think about my right hand. It's wrong, but it sounds better.)

27. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	182772
    These have been the picks I have used most often. The shape of the middle pick was ideal, I switched to the blue tortex because they are readily available. The primetone gives the warmest sound and the tortex is the brightest. I do have to use a little pick honey to keep that blue pick from rotating while I play. I play melody and am particularly concerned with tremolo. Dunlop does make that blue teardrop pick in a larger size, but they don't have a photograph of both picks side to side for comparison. On their site you have to order either 36 or 72 picks of the same type so I think I will stick with the small teardrop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	212 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	182771   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	214 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	182770  

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian560 For This Useful Post:

This seems like as good a place to ask this as any - guys that prefer the larger triangular style picks, can you elaborate on why? I've always associated those picks with mandolin. I haven't gotten to try one out on a mandolin, but whenever I've played guitar with one I've had mixed results. They feel comfortable and I like the solid grip/connection I get with the pick, but they start to feel clumsy when I need to pick fast.

I grew up playing Fender medium and comparable Dunlop Tortex picks (for a mixture of electric and acoustic guitar playing). As I got older and became more of a dedicated acoustic player I slowly gravitated towards heavier picks. My "backups" now are the purple Tortex, but my go-to is a BlueChip TD50. I've got a TD45 I like for really light strings and a TD60 I like for my 12-string. I'm still very new to mandolin but so far I'm loving the TD50 for it, enough so that I haven't even dug the 60 out of the 12-string case to try it.

When I was taste-testing a bunch of BlueChips a while back I almost kept a TP48 around. I thought it was a good compromise between the teardrop shape that seems to be seared into my muscle memory and the larger triangular picks. But I ultimately kept reaching for the TD50, and sent the TP48 back rather than let it sit around and collect dust. Now I wish I had it for the mandolin....

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Gibcaster000 View Post
    This seems like as good a place to ask this as any - guys that prefer the larger triangular style picks, can you elaborate on why?
    I prefer them. Switched a few years ago, and it was clumsy at first, but I'm glad I did. It's a pretty strong preference now. I suppose you'll get different 'whys' from different folk.

One why, for me, is that I changed my grip. All my life I'd used teardrop style picks on guitar, and I used a sort of three digit grip (Thumb, index & middle) kind of like a pencil grip. I changed to the more common thumb & index loose clamp style of grip, and the large triangles feel better to me now.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but with mandolin much more than guitar, different picks have different sounds. I don't think it's uncommon for players to use different picks for different songs or situations.
    That is what I do. The great responsiveness of the mandolin to the type of pick, and the great many types of picks, gives us mandolinners lots of options. It would be a shame to miss out by settling on one pick.

I got to thinking the other day and I wonder if this "one pick" thing comes from guitar culture, where because the type of pick seems to make less difference, one chooses the personal favorite based on comfort and personal play-ability, and sticks with it to the point of putting that chosen type pick in the wallet. A mandolinner would have to ask, which of these do i chose to put in my wallet, what am I likely to need?

Many many mandolinners came from guitar culture and many have a foot in each culture.

I may be entirely wrong however. I am sometimes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....