Thread: Musical Reincarnation ;-)

Default Musical Reincarnation ;-)

Dear mandolin friends around the world,

I hope 2020 brings you success in all your endeavors. For me, the year has started with the warm afterglow of a performance of my little Idillio Sinfonico by the Läänesaarte Kammerorkester, conducted by Maestro Edoardo Narbona in Estonia. Both the sensitive interpretation and the cinematography, featuring the lovely landscapes of the Baltic Sea, have left me smiling in delight.

So I am happy to share this performance with you all, along with “inside story” of this composition. As some of you will notice, this is an orchestration for string orchestra of my earlier Idillio for unaccompanied mandolin.

The original score is freely available at the site below for your perusal or perhaps to illustrate the curiously organic evolution of a musical composition from one medium to another...

http://www.paperclipdesign.com/vk/

My best wishes to each and every one of you.

Victor
    It is not man who lives, but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Musical Reincarnation ;-)

Wow, Victor! Just Beautiful

Thank you! Indeed, they did a lovely job, both with the music and with the cinematography. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Groovy.

Thanks, Eugene. Curious, how such a itsy, bitsy composition may have just landed me a HUGE movie soundtrack deal...

Like Brahms and Ravel, I am a chronic, habitual arranger of my own music; sometimes that odd, quirky habit pays off.

Cheers,

Victor

Victor,
    Congratulations on the success of your composition!
    The piece is very moving, and at the same time comforting.
    May your success move you to continuing to provide more of this beauty to the world we live in.
    Eric
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style

Thank you, Eric! This piece (or rather this arrangement) was my humble homage to Giacomo Puccini and was made around either his birthday or some round-number anniversary of his. I was thinking mostly of his Crisantemi, the sonority in that glorious orchestral score of his, the shimmering strings, the Mediterranean aura...

But Edoardo (the conductor, who is Italian) tells me it sounds rather English instead— a compliment in his mind, as he apprenticed in England and absolutely loves the music of Elgar. Then again, the Estonian musicians on the video tell me it sounds rather Scandinavian, kind of like Grieg— again, a compliment in their minds.

All of which goes to corroborate the old adage that music is an international language.

I can't help wondering how this would sound with (Hey, it's the Cafe!) mandolins. I am not sure the sweet sustain of the bows would be matched by tremolo; on the other hand, you did start with a duo-style mandolin piece.
    We tried the beautiful Adagio for Strings by Barber a few years back and I don't think it worked with mandolins; similar texture.
    What do you think,Victor?

Oh, I think this would work just fine! Barber's Adagio is a much longer piece than my Idillio so I think that sheer endurance becomes a challenge; many mandolinists (myself included) may not be able to sustain an even, flowing tremolo for all that long. But this little piece should work just fine. Besides, as you say, it was originally conceived as a duo-style mandolin piece and that is most certainly playable and in fact has been played effectively far and wide. So, why not?

Thanks for the "OK" on that Victor; is the full orchestral score available?

Absolutely! I just emailed you the score and (bowed string) parts.