Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on selling Flatiron mandolin

Default Need advice on selling Flatiron mandolin

I know nothing about mandolins, other than my mother loved to play. I bought her a Flatiron 1 DC in 1993. She hardly played it, though, because of worsening arthritis. I now would like to sell it but have no idea a.) what it's worth and how to find out its worth, and b.) where I'd sell it. I live in Cleveland and would be willing to go to Nashville to sell it if necessary. It's a beautiful instrument and in excellent condition. Can anyone direct me as to price and a marketplace? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Need advice on selling Flatiron mandolin

You can look at https://reverb.com/ and search for mandolins similar to yours. Look inside the instrument to see it's label for information on the exact model, etc. Good luck

Post some photos here. I'd guess it is currently worth 500 to 700 dollars; even lower-end pancake-style Flatirons are doing fairly well in the vintage market.

When it comes to actually selling it, you can list it here in the Classifieds.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

And there are face book mandolin group marketplace options..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I’m assuming this is a 1N pancake style, as I had no luck googling 1 DC. If so, they’re selling for 500-700, depending on condition and where in the country you are (ie, you’ll typically pay more in bigger cities or dealers with great reps like Carter’s, Gruhn's, Bernuzzio’s). I recently sold a 1994 1N on consignment at Lowe Vintage and listed it for 650. I took 550 with in store pickup, which was still more than I paid back in 2007 or so. If you want to maximize your profits, sell in the classifieds here, on Facebook, or maybe eBay or Reverb. If you sell to a dealer they’re going to offer 350-450 because they’ve gotta make a profit when they sell it.

I’m not a bad salesman when it comes to things I like or things the buyer needs, but I hate the idea of having to deal with tire kickers, taking 1000 extra photos, responding to barrages of emails, etc. We downsized last year and I’ve divested of 6 instruments so far. A couple I traded, a couple I gave away (because they were inexpensive enough to not be worth the effort and the folks I gave them to were friends whom I knew would play them), and the others I sold on consignment. I considered the dollars I lost by doing so well worth the education I received from playing those instruments and a fair trade off for not having to deal with the seller’s responsibilities. YMMV, and there are folks on here who would flip a Rogue to make a five spot, and more power to them. It’s just not something I like doing, and, thankfully, this is a hobby my day job covers...if that weren’t the case I’d have probably listed them all in the classifieds here and dealt with the stuff I don’t like...that said, I’ve bought probably 7 instruments through the classifieds here, and all transactions have been very smooth.

Definitely post some pics. If it’s not a 1N the dollar amounts above may be far from accurate...
    Last edited by CES; Jan-08-2020 at 7:06pm.
    Chuck

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

CobaltJRG 

Thanks, Chuck, great info. I have a lot to learn. It is a flat instrument, so I guess that's what you mean by pancake. I could only find the 1 DC designation on it. I'm glad you told me about the dealers giving so much less. I'm a little leary of selling it on my own, but I might go that route. Again, thanks so much for your input.

Thanks so much for your advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much. Very helpful.

One more thing, Chuck, I'm looking at the label inside and it has the Flatiron Mandolin label and the Model No. is definitely 1DC Mandolin. Underneath it is the serial number. Also says, "handmade in Bozeman, Mt."
    Maureen

10. The following members say thank you to Infoseeker for this post:

Cobalt 

I couldn't find anything on a 1DC Flatiron either. They did have some other models like 2M and such. Maybe it was a custom instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Two questions - what color is the mandolin (natural, cherry, brown) and does it have a truss rod? Am wondering if the DC means "dark cherry" or "dark chocolate". Pictures would definitely help.

But, even if it is a different color, the $500 to $700 range appears accurate.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Eric may be correct about the color designation. Post some pics, and if we can’t figure it out you may try calling or emailing Bruce and Mary Webber, though 93 puts it into the years of Gibson manufacturing...
    Chuck

One other mention on the Cafe here. Cafe member Cobalt appears to be an active member.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

So the DC is Dark Chocolate colored. That’s pretty cool!
    Chuck

Whatever the color, those flat tops are sweet sounding mandolins.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    One other mention on the Cafe here. Cafe member Cobalt appears to be an active member.
    Yes, mine is a Flatiron 1DC. I bought it new in 1994, think it cost (with hard case) about $460 at that time. Of course the value of currency has shifted with inflation since then (about $750-ish equivalent). In good condition, they sell pretty well today, worn ones like mine, not so much.

18. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

That's exactly the beautiful color it is! Thanks! I will post pictures of it once I figure out how to do it. I know there's a tutorial, but I haven't had the time to really study it. I'm not good at computers. Do I post the picture here or in classifieds?

Thanks very much. My mother's is in pristine condition, but I'm sure the strings need changed. It's been sitting in its case for many years.

Default Flatiron 1DC Mandolin

Pictures of the Flatiron 1DC everyone has been so kind to advise me on its worth and where to sell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	182701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	182702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	182703  

22. The following members say thank you to Infoseeker for this post:

Cobalt 

Regarding strings, you should find a label inside, look through the sound-hole, right up underneath the fretboard. Mine recommends string gauges 0.010 - 0.013 - 0.024 - 0.036 though I tend to use something slightly heavier.

You can host the pictures someplace like Google images and post a link here. Or use the Insert Image toolbar button to add images one at a time here on the Forum.

When you are ready to sell, hop over to the Classifieds. You can post only one image there, although you can link to additional images if you have them hosted online.

The Cafe has rules against selling the Forum. If you try it, the thread will get shut down. Sell only in the Classifieds.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

25. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Default Re: Flatiron 1DC Mandolin

Twins!

Amazingly, the serial number of mine is the very next number.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flatiron serial.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	448.4 KB 
ID:	182705
    Last edited by Cobalt; Jan-09-2020 at 3:23pm.

Somebody should say it: have you ever thought about taking up the mandolin? If you or a family member has given it some though, this is a fantastic starter instrument.

Be careful if you swap out the strings, it really does want the light strings listed inside. When I had my 2MB repaired, the luthier mentioned that he thought some of the damage was caused by medium or heavy gauge strings. There is a GIGANTIC thread on these mandolins here on the cafe, if you want to do hours of background reading. Seriously, hours.

Flatiron flattop mandolins sell pretty regularly. There are eight for sale on Reverb.com right now. My impression from casually watching the market is that they sell quickly for $300, slowly for $500 - 600, and not at all for $700. Condition and description matters, of course. The dark chocolate color may not be as desirable (I have a Flatiron Bouzouki that color, but the model number indicates the birdseye maple underneath the color, not the color itself).

Now, if you have a case...

Thank you. I'm hoping the new potential owner will know this. I'm not going to attempt new strings!

Thank you. I thought I was successful in posting three pictures here by following the video Scott Tichenor directed me to, but I don't see them so I don't know that went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Infoseeker View Post
    Thank you. I thought I was successful in posting three pictures here by following the video Scott Tichenor directed me to, but I don't see them so I don't know that went wrong.
    They posted just fine. But you started a brand-new thread
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1751914