Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
I don't know if the OP is in a position to buy an oval holed mandolin at this point but this American made Breedlove looks pretty tempting...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/149647#149647
That really is tempting. What a beautiful instrument, and judging by the YouTube clips I could find, with a beautiful sound, too.

I think there's some truth to all the opinions voiced here so far. It seems to be generally accepted that F-hole mandolins are more versatile. Many of the top players eventually gravitate towards that style - and that's not just my impression, but something I heard from mandolin maestro Simon Mayor. When trying various oval-hole and F-hole mandolins at the shop, I believe - so this is just my impression - that chords sound more focused on the F-hole, tremolo sounds a bit sharper, and the notes sound somewhat more clearly separated. I'm not an expert, but it probably has to do with overtones.

But I play mostly oval-holes. It may be because I can't play fast, so the richer tone of the oval-hole helps me sound better. I also often play alone, so chords are less of an issue, and there's no need to have a loud or piercing sound. These things are also often true of beginners, and I can therefore see the sense in an oval-hole as a first mandolin. The need for the things that an F-hole can do better may develop later on. I have an electro-acoustic F-hole mandolin essentially for playing chords. But I prefer to play melody on the oval hole.

Crucially, there's much more that differentiates between mandolins than the shape of the sound hole. It really helps to shop around, and try playing as many mandolins as possible. As has been mentioned before, the way a mandolin sounds to the player is different from, and often inferior to, the way it sounds in front of the player. So listening to recordings or making some recordings while trying mandolins is a good idea.

If an F-hole is what you have at the moment, play it. Learn on it, see what it can do, progress as a player. Perhaps you'll bond with the instrument and end up playing to its strengths. On the other hand, if you still find yourself wanting that oval-hole sound after some time, that's great too. In that case, your new mission is to find the oval-hole that's best for you and buy it. The important thing is to develop your ear and your skill, and make an informed decision.