Thread: NK Forster Parlor King

Default NK Forster Parlor King

I love how his Session King tenor sounds in the videos, but for me, one of the attractions of a tenor guitar is it’s compact size. the Parlor King with a 22 inch scale would fit perfectly with my hybrid Herb Taylor archtop. Maybe this spring I’ll order one depending on my finances.

https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/blo...-tenor-guitar/

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: NK Forster Parlor King

Hey Bruce, is Herb still active? He was such a common name on theses pages a few years back!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Hey Bruce, is Herb still active? He was such a common name on theses pages a few years back!
    He listed four instruments for sale in the classifieds back in November including this tenor:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/147276#147276
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Love the looks of that Parlor King! With a shorter scale that would definitely be my cup of tea!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

6. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Harley Marty

That guitar certainly does look delicious! & the session king certainly sounds great. There’s a good chance that it sounds a little different to that guitar we’ve all fallen in love with on the utube, & I don’t mean inferior. Just a little different! You’re probably safer to order a 22” session king for GDAE

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Herb Taylor tenor.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	182704

Yep, a beauty for sure.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

9. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Harley, yeah, I’m sure it sounds a little different than the Session King. I’d want to hear a good video of it, at a minimum. I’m not sure I want to order an instrument from overseas..... what if I want to return it? It’s already a hassle to return an instrument bought in the USA since shipping is so expensive on guitars. I don’t need another tenor guitar or mandolin, but I’ve been looking more lately. I have one mandolin and two tenor guitars, which seems
    like plenty since I mostly play tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    I’m not sure I want to order an instrument from overseas..... what if I want to return it? It’s already a hassle to return an instrument bought in the USA since shipping is so expensive on guitars.
    In all the years I've been shipping guitars overseas I can only think of one feller in The USA who decided he didn't want to keep his guitar. And I've sold hundreds of my instruments to folk in the US. The issue was resolved - I asked him to ship it to my US dealer, and when it arrived he got a refund. The guitar sold a week or so later and the new owner was extremly happy.

I'm far away from most my customers so I have to offer folk a way out. They have three days to decide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parlour-King-tenor-guitar-2-768x426.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	182736

Nigel
    www.nkforsterguitars.com

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Nigel, that’s good to know. There is an almost zero chance I’d want to return it. I was listening to videos of the Session King again today, and I just love how it sounds. It made we think it might be a mistake to get the Parlor King. If the Session King blew me away I don’t think I’d be thinking about the size. Any chance of a video of the Parlor? I’ll have to see if I can pull it off this spring, I’m currently three thousand miles from home for a while with my son.

Nigel, that’s good to know. There is an almost zero chance I’d want to return it. I was listening to videos of the Session King again today, and I just love how it sounds. It made we think it might be a mistake to get the Parlor King. If the Session King blew me away I don’t think I’d be thinking about the size. Any chance of a video of the Parlor? I’ll have to see if I can pull it off this spring, I’m currently three thousand miles from home for a while with my son.

Both models feature in this video - this is the only video I've got with a Parlour King in it.

I have to say, despite the two guitars having a different scale, and a different size body they sound very similar. But then both have cedrela soundboards the same bracing and the same laminated body construction.

So really its a question of which you prefer the look of - the small body or the big one.

Nigel
    www.nkforsterguitars.com

Thanks Nigel. That is probably the only video I didn’t watch. The Parlor King sounds wonderful too. Amazing tenor guitars. I play GDAE, and a 22 inch scale is perfect as I’m playing the fiddle part on any tunes I happen to like.

Thanks Nigel. That is probably the only video I didn’t watch. The Parlor King sounds wonderful too. Amazing tenor guitars. I play GDAE, and a 22 inch scale is perfect as I’m playing the fiddle part on any tunes I happen to like.
    Well, contact me via my site, and get a price list. If my work is within your budget, you can send me a deposit and you'll get your build slot.

Best,

Nigel
    www.nkforsterguitars.com

17. The following members say thank you to nkforster for this post: