Thread: NY Times profiles Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Co.

Default NY Times profiles Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Co.

Great Sunday feature story in the 1/5/2020 New York Times about how luthiers in this nonprofit rural Kentucky shop have been running a successful apprenticeship program to help people find solace and learn the craft of fine instrument making while they recover from addiction.

The story says the company is right now "in feverish deadline mode, honing the high-end artisanal guitars and mandolins made from Appalachian hardwoods that they will be taking to the National Association of Music Merchants trade show in Anaheim, Calif., on Jan. 16. Troublesome Creek hopes to garner enough orders to expand its operation and hire more committed Culture of Recovery apprentices."

Interesting detail to folks here:
    "The density of Appalachian hardwoods compares favorably with imported tropical rosewoods," [said Doug Naselroad, the master luthier who with a former colleague dreamed up the program.] Though Osage orange and Black locust have traditionally been used for fence posts, they have what luthiers call a great “tap tone.” “The wood talks to us a little bit,” he explained. “It has to ring like silver.”

Has anyone on the Cafe forum seen, tried, or bought any of these Troublesome Creek mandolins? What did you think?

2. The following members say thank you to Gina Willis for this post:

Cindy 

Default Re: NY Times profiles Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Co.

There are mandolincafe members working with them. Our own Sunburst (John Hamlett) for one. Long time builder and very helpful contributor to our community.

This is awesome and speaks to me on several levels. I have worked in the addictions field for many years and clinically supervise a large program in Oregon. Our clients can be some of the smartest and most creative folks out there. Finding positive and meaningful ways to channel that is a huge piece of finding lasting recovery. Not to mention I am a player and aspiring builder. Big kudos to Sunburst and everyone else involved in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Willis View Post
    ...Has anyone on the Cafe forum seen, tried, or bought any of these Troublesome Creek mandolins? What did you think?
    I have seen and tried the one and only mandolin produced by Troublesome Creek.
    What do I think? Well, I built the thing so of course I like it a lot!
    The mandolin is a prototype, made by me. Hopefully mandolins will be in production later, but there will have to be some training and perhaps some hiring before that can happen. It is the closest thing to a Loar copy that I have ever made. Differences (that I can think of) from Loar are: ebony peghead overlay, radius fingerboard, large frets, smaller inlay dots, butternut internal blocks, ivoroid corner blocks, bone nut. The mandolin will be at the NAMM show, so if you are there check it out at the Troublesome Creek booth!

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Willis View Post

Has anyone on the Cafe forum seen, tried, or bought any of these Troublesome Creek mandolins? What did you think?
    They’re out there! I was able to play a couple of their flattops and ended up buying one. Build quality and tone are top notch. I’m totally satisfied and wish the company the best of luck!

I know nothing of their instruments, but they picked a great name.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    I know nothing of their instruments, but they picked a great name.
    I'm biased (our shop is the first to stock them) but they are worth checking out. In addition to the powerful mission and the good work they are doing in their community, they are building some really good instruments.