Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading a tailpiece

Default Upgrading a tailpiece

I have a Loar LM-375 mandolin. Since I only play for hobby, I really don't have the money for a really high end mandolin. Would upgrading the tailpiece make a huge difference? Something a little more solid might Make it sound better, but I am not sure if it would be worth it. Even recommendations for decent tailpieces would be appreciated.

2. The following members say thank you to Markert.a for this post:

nlopez 

Default Re: Upgrading a tailpiece

I've changed the tailpiece on three mandolins from the original to a James. I couldn't really tell any difference in the tone, volume, etc. However, changing strings on the James is so much easier. Likely it wouldn't be cost effective to put a James tailpiece on an entry level mandolin. On one of the mandolins the original tailpiece was was a Weber cast tailpiece - very solid but not the easiest to change strings.
    1992 Flatiron F5 Master model
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

Blog Entries

Actually, the tailpiece is probably less problematic than some other aspects of your mandolin, if it is anything like the LM270 (or was it 290?, I don't remember) I had. Number one, if you haven't had a good setup job done and can't foot the bill for a good luthier to do it, check out Rob Medrum's ebook (see my signature text). In particular, I noticed the difference when I got the nut slots down to a playable height and also when I fitted the bridge to the top. Another thing that I swear made a difference, but wasn't an easy job, was taking the finish off the the thing -- it was glommed on really thick like putty. But the bridge and the nut are quite doable.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

In my country they would say, rather crudely, like putting lipstick on a pig. Listen to the wise men above aned get some refined setup work to make your mandolinas good as reasonable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I like this one. Sonic difference, in this case? Doubtful, but maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget tp.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	182588  

7. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

There are very few that say they can hear the difference. I cannot. In my opinion there are a few reasons to change a tailpiece. The first would be that yours was broken. The second would be for the ease of changing strings on some (not all) cast tailpieces. The third would be for the looks.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

It was properly set up before purchase. Nut is fine with no other issues I saw.

To reiterate the advice already given, it is highly unlikely that changing your tailpiece will do much of anything to improve the sound of an entry-level, LM-375 Loar. The contribution of a tailpiece the to the tone is minimal. If you want to explore possible improvements, you might want to get better (or better-fiitted) bridge, or play around with different types of strings. These have a far more significant effect on tone.

Blog Entries

From my experience the James tailpiece sits noticeably higher (~1/16") off of the top than the traditional style stamped tailpiece that came with my F-9 (using the exact same mounting screw holes). In fact my stamped tailpiece had been noticeably bent down from string tension. That height difference means there is also a tension difference at certain points of the top and the ribs near the end block. From my experience with other instruments I know that tailpieces and their adjustments can make a huge difference in tone and volume.

Sound-theory says if you change anything, there will be a sound difference. But human hearing usually cannot pick up less than a 10% difference. So, while I believe there is at least a subtle difference with mandolin tailpieces, I don't know if it can be heard. At this point in time about 6 months after making this change, especially in deference to the wise souls here who report otherwise, I question my earlier reports...

When I changed to my James tailpiece I made a point of using the exact same strings and setup so I could tell if there was a difference, and I thought I noticed one. But, if my James tailpiece does make a difference in sound, I'm pretty sure that how you hold your pick, or seasonally raising and lowering your action, probably makes a much bigger difference.

I do have an easier time tuning now with my James tailpiece, my old stamped tailpiece was pretty flimsy.

The other thing to always be aware of is that your audience may hear things that you may not hear, and vice versa.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Spend your money on a good setup, perhaps a Cumberland Acoustics bridge, but I wouldn’t. I’d save up and look for a used Kentucky 900 some day.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Fretwork & properly filed nut and bridge slots are two things which, for the cost or less of a James tailpiece, might have a good chance of improving both the instrument's tone, and your playing (since better action makes every player better).

Those of you who have replaced a tailpiece, what did it cost? Every time I change strings I think about replacing the tailpiece. This is what I've currently got (https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...SABEgLSEfD_BwE), and I feel the design makes changing the string way harder than it should be

I put a James on my #1 and absolutely love it. But putting $160 of hardware on an entry level mando is going to be a limited improvement in tone, due to the construction of the instrument. If you are really loving playing the mandolin, I'd advise you to save for a better instrument. Unfortunately, you're looking at $1000+ (even used) for a good sounding mando, and $4000 is where they start sounding really nice. Not a cheap hobby (but less than a bass boat).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    In my country they would say, rather crudely, like putting lipstick on a pig.
    Nothing wrong with putting lipstick on a pig. Especially if you're going out to dinner or a movie.

18. The following members say thank you to RickDahms for this post:

Tavy 

It seems to me that Americans buy instruments to tinker with rather than play music on.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

20. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

It might simply be that bits and pieces are more available in the US than in the UK. Who, for example, in the UK has ever seen a case cover?

Blog Entries

i plead "sorta guilty".
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Not unlike us folks that buy more instruments than we can play at one time. Luckily we aren't judgemental and don't paint with broad brushes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Well, if one has more instruments than one can play, why not tinker with some of them

Personally, I'm planning a tuner swap on one and looking for a tailpiece for another.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    It might simply be that bits and pieces are more available in the US than in the UK. Who, for example, in the UK has ever seen a case cover?
    The US is a country of consumers; patriotism consists of buying as much as we can afford, and frequently more. We also need to buy much larger spaces in which to keep our stuff, larger vehicles to drag it around. (For definitive analysis of ‘stuff’ see George Carlin). We also don’t make small business too difficult with taxes, licenses and more taxes. So if I want to make low-volume gizmos, or even sell totally unregulated pharmaceuticals as supplements, this is the place.
    Along with the American version of freedom, there are some disadvantages, but we don’t let these cramp our style.

27. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I have a friend who is designing covers to protect those case covers from the elements. Should be a big seller.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

My case cover is parked on the driveway outside my house.

Calton cases, beloved of many people on both sides of the Atlantic, were invented in the UK. I bought my first one in 1976 and the last in 2008. In the intervening 32 years, Keith Calton never once suggested that I might need to put a cover on it!

Blog Entries

I would change a tailpiece only for ease of use or if the original broke. I'll go on a limb and say aside from a placebo effect on you, no one else will notice a sonic difference. On you existing mandolin, the easiest way to change/improve/hinder tone to YOUR ear is having a good set up, vary strings and pick materials and most of all improve your technique. The latter being key. Better tuners may help if your existing ones are slipping and you cannot adjust them.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Yes, I can understand changing something for ease of use or failure - I did think about putting a James on my Collings mandola as the only way to get the heavier strings off is either to use wire cutters or yank them violently back through the tailpiece holes but then I discovered that Collings glue in their endpins, so I decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

Ray [T]

Hi Ray, you are in danger of being accused of using common sense.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole