Thread: Philipp Heinrich Erlebach (1657-1714), German Baroque composer

Default Philipp Heinrich Erlebach (1657-1714), German Baroque composer

Philipp Heinrich Erlebach (1657-1714) was a major German baroque composer in the era just before J.S. Bach. However, the large majority of his compositions were lost in a fire after his death, so that only the music he published during his lifetime survives. This includes a set of 75 vocal arias published in two volumes under the title "Harmonische Freude musicalischer Freunde", as well as six instrumental trio sonatas for violin, viola da gamba and continuo.

I have tried out a couple of his pieces on mandolin, and I think these are very appealing compositions to play (and I hope also to listen to).

Sonata No. 2 in E Minor
    I. Adagio

I have recorded the first movement (Adagio) of the second sonata as a mandolin quartet, using a continuo realisation by Wilfred Wachter from:

https://musescore.com/user/668541/scores/5377116

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

For my recording, I have played the viola da gamba part on tenor guitar. However, it also works fine on mandola, for a more classical mandolin quartet line-up. The Musescore link above has the part in alto clef.

Aria

One of the 75 arias (I'm not sure which one) was arranged for two cellos, also by Wilfred Wachter:

https://musescore.com/user/668541/scores/3321051

It's a catchy melody which makes a nice duet of mandolin and mandocello.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post: