Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious Mandolin

Default Re: Curious Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I actually sent pictures of this to my unknown anonymous world class luthier friend that has pronounced this not a Shmergel. Carry on.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I actually sent pictures of this to my unknown anonymous world class luthier friend that has pronounced this not a Shmergel...
    So then that actually implies that it could be a Shmergel. The fact that there's also a chance that it might be a Larson really complicates the matter.

Anonymous
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have heard from a prestigious unreliable source that the Larsons' mother's maiden name was Shmergel. Ah, the plot sickens.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

May these several highly esteemed world class lutherie experts ever remain unnamed. Beware the papparazzi.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I once bought a very fancy bowlback with no maker's label. I couldn't believe that anyone would make such a fancy instrument and not put his label in it. Then when I removed the tailpiece to give the instrument a good clean, a tiny piece of paper fell out, folded tightly into four. It was a maker's label.

I don't know how common it was for makers to hide labels under the tailpiece, but it might be worth having a look . . .
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

I've seen that leaf and vine pattern on a guitar, several decades ago. IIRC the guitar was US-made, first quarter 20th century; pretty sure I saw it at Stutzman's in Rochester. The brain cells retaining more of this memory are no longer accessible. I do recall that the pattern on the guitar was executed more tastefully than on this mandolin, which may imply that the design was copied from, rather than made by, the same maker.

Well, all that was pretty unhelpful, but it's all I got.

I didn't mention his name because I had not asked his permission to publish his quote and I think that was only fair to leave him anonymous. He is one of the authors of this book so you may be able to deduce who he is. I thank you for your sarcasm.

https://www.amazon.com/Inventing-Ame.../dp/1458405761

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    I've seen that leaf and vine pattern on a guitar, several decades ago. IIRC the guitar was US-made, first quarter 20th century; pretty sure I saw it at Stutzman's in Rochester. The brain cells retaining more of this memory are no longer accessible. I do recall that the pattern on the guitar was executed more tastefully than on this mandolin, which may imply that the design was copied from, rather than made by, the same maker.

Well, all that was pretty unhelpful, but it's all I got.
    Similar but not exact are early Washburn mandolins and banjo inlays, probably guitars too but I have misplaced my Hubert book.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Bob A 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Similar but not exact are early Washburn mandolins and banjo inlays, probably guitars too but I have misplaced my Hubert book.
    I can lend you mine.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I can lend you mine.
    Ok, I will be right over...

This is a model 80 from the 1890s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	182791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r-3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	182792
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by tonydxn View Post
    I once bought a very fancy bowlback with no maker's label. I couldn't believe that anyone would make such a fancy instrument and not put his label in it. Then when I removed the tailpiece to give the instrument a good clean, a tiny piece of paper fell out, folded tightly into four. It was a maker's label.

I don't know how common it was for makers to hide labels under the tailpiece, but it might be worth having a look . . .
    Interesting, well it is worth checking and it does need a bit of a clean so I may well have a look.

Interestingly my friend (who will remain anonymous) linked me to this Mandolin by Michele Maratea which has a similar purple paper lining...........

What is interesting is that my Mandolin has some headstock details that remind me of Vinaccia but not 100%, but apparently Michele Maratea was a student of Vinaccia so that could be an interesting lead..................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1903-Ital...p2047675.l2557

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Ok, I will be right over...

This is a model 80 from the 1890s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	182791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r-3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	182792
    That upside-down-king's-crown scratchplate is one of my favorite L+H moves. Love it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig