Thread: Hello from Delaware

Default Hello from Delaware

New member here, and new mandolin owner as well. Have wanted to learn to play for a long time. Work and life held me back. This Christmas past my wife bought me a f style Ibanez m700s to learn on! Took it down to the local music shop to have it set up and tuned, and got the bad news, the tail piece is broken....

I called hoshino and they are going to warranty the part, out of stock till 1/20 however. Hope to sign up for lessons and get going after the repair. Was a little bummed about the tail piece. Is this a common thing, or am I just unlucky?

Anyway been reading a lot here and hope to learn.

Eric

Default Re: Hello from Delaware

Welcome Eric...jump into the "pool"..the water is usually warm here, so I hope you enjoy your time

Sorry to hear about the bad tailpiece -- but always glad to welcome another new mandolin player into the fold!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Enjoy the mandolin. Be careful, it can be addicting!

Welcome Eric, I've been here a year now. The amount of knowledge here is amazing. You will now have sore fingers, frustration and hours of fun. And yes its can be an addiction

Hello and welcome from a player in nearby South Jersey!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

Welcome. I wouldn't call that a common issue with Ibenez mandolins (at least it hasn't made the boards here often). Good luck with the lessons and have fun!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Hey there waterpirate-- don't see much in the way of other Delawareans around here. If you have any questions about local stuff (not that we have all that much of a scene around here) or if you ever want to get together and make some noise, hit me up.

I'm not all that good and don't get out picking with others often enough, but I enjoy it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
    @ keb I am in Sussex where are you.
    I went by the music store today and met the string instrument tech/mechanic. Really nice guy and is helping me get some love from hoshino.
    I will keep you all posted.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!
    @ keb I am in Sussex where are you.
    I went by the music store today and met the string instrument tech/mechanic. Really nice guy and is helping me get some love from hoshino.
    I will keep you all posted.
    Eric
    I'm up in New Castle County just north of the Canal. I don't know many stores down your way, but it seems like Music and Arts is gobbling up all the local stores. If you need serious lutherie work, the name that always comes up around here is Dana Sutcliffe.

I also know that Emory Knode from Appalachian Bluegrass over in Baltimore does good work. He sells a lot of Eastman instruments and his son picks mandolin, so they know about Mandolins. Don't know anyone in Delaware that really specializes in non-guitar stringed instruments.

So good news and bad today. Music store set up my mando and got the tail piece under warranty! Bought a medium pic set, a generic strap, and ordered a hard case.
    The bad news, no instructor . I got a number to call for a lead but no instructor in sight in the immediate future. What would be the best course of action for a yearning player who seems to be stuck in a geographical oddity for instruction? I saw some online courses on u tube as well at peg head nation. Help please.
    Eric

Welcome !!!

For on-line lessons, a good place to start is: www.mandolessons.com

Quote Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
    So good news and bad today. Music store set up my mando and got the tail piece under warranty! Bought a medium pic set, a generic strap, and ordered a hard case.
    The bad news, no instructor . I got a number to call for a lead but no instructor in sight in the immediate future. What would be the best course of action for a yearning player who seems to be stuck in a geographical oddity for instruction? I saw some online courses on u tube as well at peg head nation. Help please.
    Eric

Hey Eric-- I had some similar issues and I'm up in the more populous half of the state. I've played with a lot of the online lessons as well as a local instructor or two. I'm in NO WAY a professional instructor and I basically never play with others, but if you want to get together sometime to get some standard beginner advice and get a tour of the resources/online instructors that I've messed around with, send me a PM.

Thank you so much! and I really mean it.
    I am going to start with the online courses from the above post, thank you gfurry as well. I will let you know how I get on and take you up on your offer. I am planning my first online lesson for Saturday morning, I am sure I will have some Q's after that.
    Eric