Thread: Fixing a bent tailpiece

Default Fixing a bent tailpiece

I was going to restring a Loar LM-110 today, and I noticed the tailpiece is bent. It is bent up more towards the G strings than the E strings. Would this explain why I have not been able to eliminate the fret buzzing towards 11 and 12 frets on the E string? Or are bridges built like that to accommodate for the heavier strings?

If that is not the case, is there a way to straighten it out? I know it's not the most expensive of instruments. Would it just be easier to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Fixing a bent tailpiece

It may be that the G side of your bridge is taller than the E side, making the tailpiece higher on that side. It can easily be bent, but if this is what is occurring it will go back to where it is. Have you measured your string height above the 12th fret on both the E & G? Usually the G is a little taller, but not much. Not enough to change the tailpiece. If the G is considerably taller this could be your problem and lowering the saddle will help and make it play easier.

If you have to bend it, I put the tailpiece end, that screws to the mandolin, in a vise (wooden faces) to where the bend is on the tailpiece, and bend the top to where I want it to go.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    It may be that the G side of your bridge is taller than the E side, making the tailpiece higher on that side. It can easily be bent, but if this is what is occurring it will go back to where it is. Have you measured your string height above the 12th fret on both the E & G? Usually the G is a little taller, but not much. Not enough to change the tailpiece. If the G is considerably taller this could be your problem and lowering the saddle will help and make it play easier.

If you have to bend it, I put the tailpiece end, that screws to the mandolin, in a vise (wooden faces) to where the bend is on the tailpiece, and bend the top to where I want it to go.
    I have bent tailpieces the same way you have. But first, I always grit my teeth and fight the urge to shut my eyes.

the tailpiece could also have been mounted crooked so it might also just be remounted in different holes. I wouldnt worry about fracture if you did bend it, but guys, dont try to bend any species of cast tail. A good parallel jaw wrench can be the old-fashioned monkey wrench, with a little jaw padding.