Thread: Reducing chrome Grover F tuner shine.

Default Reducing chrome Grover F tuner shine.

Has anyone been unhappy with the shine on chrome Grover F tuners (#309fn)? Wondering if anyone experimented with ways to cut the shine with a soilution of some kind.

Default Re: Reducing chrome Grover F tuner shine.

I have seen some articles on using of board etching solution to relic hardware. Perhaps a very light application would work. Personally I just let time do it's thing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

One of our members that we haven't seen in some times a very proficient copiest that makes copies of historical electrical guitars. He uses circuit board etching solution to age some of his metal parts. In his case many times he wants to remove the finish all together in spots. Keep in mind that a small mistake can cost you the tuners. I do know that Roger Siminoff's folks were "hand burnishing" Gotoh mandolin tuners to remove the shine. Something like hydrogen peroxide may tarnish them up faster than air. Keep in mind that the buttons may react to a harsh chemical, that there are probably nylon (or something like it) washers in there someplace and by all means, if anyone does this take the tuners off the mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I have a ‘micro’ sandblast that uses very fine abrasive that is used to clean small parts, mostly. It will make a very fine matt finish on most things, without resorting to chemistry. A jeweler might have something like this. Don’t remember the grit, but you can’t even tell it’s abrasive between your fingers. As always, the part needs to be air-blast cleaned carefully before use.
    Circuit board etch is usually ferric chloride, to etch copper. Microscopic amounts left behind are amazingly corrosive.

7. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

If you are just trying to knock the shine off the chrome, Micro Mesh can do a good job - I would try 2400 to start and see if you want to go smoother, or more coarse (1500 - 1800). Work slow and check progress to see how it's going. Finish up with 0000 steel wool if needed. I worked down a heavily chromed way too shiny replacement tailpiece for a 1940's Gibson L-7 guitar and it looked more like nickel plate when I finished.

9. The following members say thank you to Joey McKenzie for this post:

Joey's idea, used judiciously, sounds the safest to me. Bear in mind that when you abrade a chrome plating, you're inviting corrosion down the road- and those tuners are likely to work very smoothly for many years to come.

11. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

My immediate thought if you don't want to change the color, but maybe just reduce the shine would be to just buff it with some coarser steel wool... if you're just trying to knock back the sheen and not "Relic" them
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

13. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

maybe call OME banjos, they inhouse "age" tuners and hardware on a lot of the banjos they make. they might give you some advice.

d

15. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post: