Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Nashville

Default Trip to Nashville

The videos of Carl Jackson and New Monday at the Station Inn first got me interested in a visit, but then when I saw they were having the guitar show in Franklin that was enough to make me start getting serious. It's still winter here but hoping for early spring there.
    While it's a short plane ride I want to bring some instruments. We can stop in Wichita and jam with some of our Winfield friends so its a driving trip. Going to stay at a hotel a couple of blocks from Carters and 1/4 mile from Station.
    So Saturday will be the guitar show. There's a bluegrass jam at Station Inn Sunday but wondering about any other jams or shows Sunday or Monday. Talking end of March so need to get closer to see what else is scheduled.
    Want to see the Ryman and downtown but it's starting to look like Disneyland down there.

Default Re: Trip to Nashville

You will no doubt have a great time at Carter's and the Station Inn. The Sunday night jam used to be a lot of fun at the Station but I haven't been in awhile. Visit Gruhn too while you're in town. Another Monday night must do is 3rd and Lindsley https://www.3rdandlindsley.com to see "The Time Jumpers" . Not a Bluegrass band but really great music and people. As far as downtown Nashville goes, I would not steer anyone that way, especially Broadway. I work down there 5 days a week and it's a zoo. The music is terrible unless you like bro country and like paying 12 bucks for a drink! The charm of Nashville's Honky Tonks is all but faded away. Also, down on Broadway it has become somewhat of a dangerous place to hang in the evenings. Sorry, but that the straight scoop. Shows at the Ryman are always good as it sounds VERY good there. Country Music Hall of Fame is fun too if you have never been.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scaggs For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Mike.
    Amazing how much you can learn from Youtube. There's some video of the Sunday jam and also what a Saturday night downtown is like. Not my scene.

Been going to Nashville for 30+ years and somewhere in the last 7 or 8 years it went from being a big "little" city to a big city and annoyingly so, IMHO. Great resources for music and instruments, no doubt, but other things like paying $9 to park my car downtown really got my goat -- I was hoping to put a couple quarters in a parking meter, but no.........

But, then again, it's Nashville for Pete's sake!

I'm hoping to make the trek in spring. I don't normally travel so for me it will be a big deal.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Carter's and Gruhn's are kinda like a Mandolin Player's Pilgrimage to Mecca
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Yes, Broadway has turned into something like Bourbon Street on steroids. It's pretty much mayhem and high prices. You'll find better food and music elsewhere.
    And yes, we probably have the best selection of mandolins in the world at Gruhn's and Carter's.

10. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Winter has barely started.
    Guitar show sounds fun.
    When I went for first and only time 2or3years ago:
    Carters was the best !
    Gruhns was great too. I bought a baseball hat with their logo because I could afford it.
    I got to play the open mic at Bluebird Cafe and, along with Carters, that was the highlight of the trip for me. (you have to phone in and be lucky to sign up). I bought a Bluebird Cafe coffee cup.
    We stayed in a bed/breakfeast loft down town and like any big city parking was a pain. We had parking in a parking garage down the street. Panhandlers/homeless on the sidewalks.... One of the places we went to on Broadway had great and authentically good live music by some older players (some originals, some oldies done with creative leads). I think there was a small cover at the door there but not sure. It was one of the well known ones toward the end of the strip. It was at capacity with folks waiting in a line outside to get in but we beat the crowd. They looked like session guys that would have been known in the biz 30 years ago. All the other spots we hit were free and had cover bands type music that could have been heard anywhereville USA. They were good musicians delivering nothing special. Party band or pseudo country pop. On the main Broadway circuit, we ate at a 2or 3 story warehouse looking bbq tourist spot on the end by the water and the food there was actually pretty good for high volume type places like that. The band playing there was excellent...they covered all genres and even had some really good originals. ... We were there on a weekday night and Yep that whole street was a circus later that night right down to buses delivering hoards of drunk college kids to roam bar to bar. Id prob not want to be there on a weekend. There were some sketchy parts but safe enough on the main drag. I was glad to see it once. If I go again I will skip the main drag and target specific performers. But you should stagger through it once.
    Last edited by Astro; Jan-05-2020 at 10:24am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

12. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Where do Brent Mason and Guthrie Trapp and guys like that play? I'll crawl on my knees for that kind of action. And great steel. all about that.

Carters was a lot of fun when I visited during Monroe Camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	182553
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Which guitar show are you folks talking about? Please excuse my ignorance

Nashville Guitar Show at Williamson County AgExpo in Franklin, off I-65. March 28-29.
    Run by Amigos which also does Arlington Tx., It looks like its as big from the photos I've seen. I went to Arlington a few times and it's fun to see all the vintage gear although I won't be doing any shopping.

Just a few dozen great mandolins...kinda overwhelming I imagine. You doing Monroe camp again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Carters was a lot of fun when I visited during Monroe Camp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	182553

It’s been a few years since I’ve been, but I remember the house band at Robert’s Western World being outstanding. They’d been playing there since 1995, and they were tight. Great steel guitar! They played mostly older stuff, which was a nice change of pace from the rest of the strip...
    Chuck

19. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk View Post
    Just a few dozen great mandolins...kinda overwhelming I imagine. You doing Monroe camp again this year?
    Yes. Every year I can.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

The wife and I are heading to Nashville (first time) for the weekend in September to see Mandolin Orange at the Ryman. Fly in Friday evening, Carter's and Gruhn's on Saturday, Ryman Saturday night then fly out Sunday. Where's a good area to stay if we don't have a car? Not into the scene on Broadway if it's anything like Bourbon Street. Those days are long gone...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Didn't Gruhn's used to be in downtown?
    We plan to stay at the Fairfield in the Gulch because it's walking distance to Station Inn and Carter's. Still pricey but less than most of the downtown places.
    Watched the Bluebird movie last night. Sunday will really be the only night we're going to be looking for something to do. I think the Bluebird would have a new artist that night and it looks like a real hassle. Looking for some place that is similar but not as famous.
    Watched the Don Kelley band on YT and they're a good combo of chops and showmanship but not playing on Sunday.

Gruhn’s used to be on the strip but has moved out towards Carter’s. There’s free parking at both shops (unless something has changed since my las visit), which is nice...
    Chuck

I'm starting to feel like such a tourist. But if I get to see Val Storey it will all be worth it.

Smile Re: Trip to Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    The wife and I are heading to Nashville (first time) for the weekend in September to see Mandolin Orange at the Ryman. Fly in Friday evening, Carter's and Gruhn's on Saturday, Ryman Saturday night then fly out Sunday. Where's a good area to stay if we don't have a car? Not into the scene on Broadway if it's anything like Bourbon Street. Those days are long gone...
    My wife and I were in Nashville a short while ago and stayed at the 21C Hotel and Museum on 2d Avenue. Walking distance to the Ryman, but you probably can’t walk to Carters or Gruhns. I like 21C a lot because is is also an art gallery, but mostly because my son is a chef there. You might check on Union Station as a place where you could walk to all of your places, but it would be a pretty good walk to any of them from there. Walking is a good option because parking is totally insane expensive. Broadway is sort of an interesting place to me to walk through and see the people, in my opinion, and I’m not a youngster.

I think the Bluebird would have a new artist that night and it looks like a real hassle. Looking for some place that is similar but not as famous.
    You might try the Douglas Corner Cafe. Singer/songwriter stuff - wasn't featured prominently on a TV show about Nashville...so less crowded and annoying.

Kirk

Also, if you’re on Broadway, look out for “Black Elvis.” Not intending to be insensitive and absolutely mean no offense: that’s what everyone in the shops on the strip called the gentleman. He’s pretty darn awesome, and legend has it he’s the best Elvis there because he actually believes he is Elvis. Without a doubt, he was the best impersonator we saw there...worth a 3 minute song or 2 and some folding money in his jar if you’ve got it to spare...yes, Broadway is a bit of a spectacle on weekends...

Also, don’t forget about Cotten Music, and the folks at Artisan Guitars in Franklin are good people as well. And, Artisan is in an old mill turned shops/antiques, which was a welcome relief to my wife after spending considerable time semi-bored at the other shops. They were closed while setting up for a Santa Cruz workshop but let me in to try out their RM-1s, one of which I left with, of course...

Honestly, even if you avoid Broadway completely, the time spent in the music stores is a priceless education.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post

Also, don’t forget about Cotten Music, and the folks at Artisan Guitars in Franklin are good people as well.
    FYI, Cotton Music has been torn down for awhile now. Good ole Nashville condo etc . Noshville is gone too now eeerrrrrrrrr.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I was in Cotton in August. They gave no indication of leaving.
    Demolished since then??? Or are you speaking of the old place out west end?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Teacher, repair person

Cotten Music re-located several years ago. Their current address is 434 Houston Street. They recently acquired some new partners and have re-named the company "The North American Guitar, Nashville."

Artisan Guitars now located in Nashville. The Franklin store is gone. Artisan's current address is 1201 4th Ave S, Suite 206, Nashville 37210.

31. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: