Thread: Mandolin for absolute newbie

Default Mandolin for absolute newbie

So recently, after struggling with the size of a guitar hurting my back and shoulder to learn to play, someone recommended I try out a mandolin for size. Luckily enough, my local library has an instrument loaning program and actually has a couple of them.

I've had it sitting here for a week or so, and have managed to put in practice time almost every day, and have had no back or shoulder problems (forearm and hand problems yes, but I think that's just muscle use). and I'm LOVING the sound.

The loaner from the library is a Epiphone (not sure the model) and I don't think set up very well, but its good enough to be enjoying.

My wife has given permission to look into buying my own, but my budget is really tight. maybe 300 bucks Canadian in total. I want to get something that's not going to be frustrate me into giving up, but I dont' want to lose my stride by having to go a long period without access again.

Locally, the only instruments I'm seeing are a Denver A style for 150 and an epiphone for 280. the rest list at 500 and up.

There are listing on amazon.ca of course, but I have no idea what's any good.

Can anyone give advice for one to pick up for an absolute beginner?

Default Re: Mandolin for absolute newbie

The Denver is not an instrument I’d recommend, being made most likely of white wood laminate. The Epiphone would be much better. It probably has a solid top at least, with the rest being laminate. An even better choice would be an all solid wood instrument. The Kentucky K-150 is a great beginner choice. All solid maple and spruce. The Classifieds here have a used one with case for 350 US.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Hold off this month on 2 cases of Canadian beer, and spend another Canadian $100. There is a Kentucky 150 that just posted today in the Cafe classifies for $350. My suggestion is to not waste your money on the 2 you mentioned. Just my humble opinion and others may chime in that disagree.
    You will be able to resell the Kentucky 150 easily and with loosing no or little of your investment. Additionally I think you will be much happier with your purchase.
    By the way, do you folks put gold in your beer?
    Good luck and enjoy the world you are about to enter.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Hold off this month on 2 cases of Canadian beer, and spend another Canadian $100. There is a Kentucky 150 that just posted today in the Cafe classifies for $350. My suggestion is to not waste your money on the 2 you mentioned. Just my humble opinion and others may chime in that disagree.
    You will be able to resell the Kentucky 150 easily and with loosing no or little of your investment. Additionally I think you will be much happier with your purchase.
    By the way, do you folks put gold in your beer?
    Good luck and enjoy the world you are about to enter.
    the problem is....is that 350USD? cause that translates to closer to 450CAD, and then there's shipping and brokerage fees.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    The Denver is not an instrument I’d recommend, being made most likely of white wood laminate. The Epiphone would be much better. It probably has a solid top at least, with the rest being laminate. An even better choice would be an all solid wood instrument. The Kentucky K-150 is a great beginner choice. All solid maple and spruce. The Classifieds here have a used one with case for 350 US.
    the epiphone that is available locally is the MM-30ASGH which is saying sprice top, mahogany body?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/7742/Gu...0_Mandolin.htm

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

$350 US
    Do you have a friend in Michigan you can have it shipped to?
    I don’t know about the other fees you mentioned. I bought a used case for (I think) $300 US from Ontario a year or two ago with no extra fees of which I am aware. Shipping was surprisingly fast as well.
    Kentucky KM-950

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ursinos View Post
    the epiphone that is available locally is the MM-30ASGH which is saying sprice top, mahogany body?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/7742/Gu...0_Mandolin.htm
    Does not mean it is not laminate.
    Kentucky KM-950

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    $350 US
    Do you have a friend in Michigan you can have it shipped to?
    I don’t know about the other fees you mentioned. I bought a used case for (I think) $300 US from Ontario a year or two ago with no extra fees of which I am aware. Shipping was surprisingly fast as well.
    if it's shipping from an individual it might not be so bad, depending on who they use. UPS is notorious for adding brokerage fees to anything coming across the border from the US. I've had fees due on delivery amounting to more than the thing I ordered. Like, 100 bucks or more.

I live close to the border so have had many used instruments ship to one of the many companies set up just across the line for just this reason.
    Shipping from almost anywhere in the States to WA is on average about 1/4 the cost of shipping to BC. CBSA wave me through with items under 380. Not worth their time to process small ticket items I guess. I don't know at what point it is

I have a Kentucky KM-256 that might fit the budget and I'm in Canada. PM me?

(I hope this is within the boundaries of good taste on this forum - sincere apologies if not!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bohnen View Post
    I have a Kentucky KM-256 that might fit the budget and I'm in Canada. PM me?

(I hope this is within the boundaries of good taste on this forum - sincere apologies if not!)
    Doesn’t bother me, but if you’re worried about it, use the PM first.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1