Thread: Pelican Vault 730 as a Double Mandolin Case

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Default Pelican Vault 730 as a Double Mandolin Case

Hey All,

I haven't really posted much recently as I have been finishing my doctorate at the University of Pittsburgh over the past few years. I've been gearing up to play more consistently. Combine that with the fact that my children are starting to spread out across the country, I have been seeking out a more robust case option. I was strongly considering Calton or Hiscox, but didn't see a great advantage if you are carrying two instruments. I feel as though those options are not always practical to lug around when you arrive at your destination. I did a quick search and only found one reference to the use of a Pelican case for mandolin transport. That one mention was in a Rich DelGrosso interview. I am pretty certain I can make this option work as a double mandolin case for both my original Collings "A" cases or the leather Reunion Blues ones seen in the picture. It would likely work with any of the lower profile gig bags out there. It does not fit with the Reunion Blues Continental Tenor Uke case I have recommended in several threads here. I'm hoping the cut the Kaizen foam in the next day or two. I'll try to remember to send an updated picture when that is completed. The best part about this option is that I already had the gig bags and the case is only $175. That is 20% of the cost of a single Calton case. I picked mine up on sale for $149. The Pelican Vault 700 would be a smaller profile if you only wanted that level of protection for one mandolin in a bag. It sort of feels like the best of both worlds combining gig bag portability with Calton-like protection. Yes, it's heavy! The case itself, before being loaded, is listed at 17 lbs. It has 6 latches, three handles and wheels for saving your back. For comparison, two Calton mandolin cases come in at nearly 19 lbs. Let me know your input both positive and negative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	279 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	182386  
    Last edited by Chunky But Funky; Dec-31-2019 at 4:59pm.
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Default Re: Pelican Vault 730 as a Double Mandolin Case

If you're flying, will this fit overhead, or will you need to check it as luggage?

Looks like a good idea to me.
    I got a Pelicase to built a rugged fly case for an old Sho~Bud pedal steel about 10 years ago, the only case that I dare to check my instrument in...

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

What I see is minimal padding and lots of space for two mandolins to move and bump into things.

Sorry for naysaying, but that picture gives me anxiety. Good luck!

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

I agree if you are basing that on the picture. (I did ask for both positive and negative feedback!) I mentioned in the original post that I hadn't cut the Kaizen foam yet for the final iteration of the case as it will be used. I plan to trim the top egg crate foam in half, utilize several layers of a "base" of Kaizen foam on the bottom and form fit the next layer around the gig bags. I wouldn't carry it as it displayed in the picture either. I just wanted to share as I was test fitting the concept the day I got the case. Happy New Year everyone!

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Yes, that Pelican case looks like it will certainly work if you plan to check things as luggage, and need to transport two mandolins (not sure why you need two, though). I would say there's not much chance of the case being allowed onboard, though, since it's obviously too big for that.

If you can manage to fly with just one mandolin, though, you have more and safer options, because in that case you won't necessarily need to check your instrument as baggage. Cases like Calton and Hoffee are excellent choices if you hope to carry your mandolin onboard an aircraft.

But you didn't actually say you were flying in your post. If you're taking ground transportation instead, then a large and heavy double case is a viable possibility.

Blog Entries

I've borrowed a 1680 and a 1650 from work and they fit a bowlback and archtop in their fibreglass cases with all the clothing for the trip. They check on as a Large suitcase and are a great way of concentrating everything into one case.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I can't comment on this particular case but I used Pelican Cases for delicate instrumentation in the field as a geologist for twenty five years and never had a problem. Great cases.

If you hang around long enough, eventually you might get answers based on your questions, not on your photo

You have already identified the biggest drawback of Pelicans, their considerable weight, and Nevin has given the response you need about their suitability to the task of protecting precious instruments. I agree wholeheartedly with Nevin, having used Pelicans for years to transport photographic strobes all over Asia on photo assignments. I often sat at a window seat and watched the Pelicans being literally thrown around by baggage handlers yet never experienced any breakages whatsoever.

ron

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

What do they say about pictures?

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...ase/vault/v730

I have zero experience with pelican cases but looking at your photo and the ones on the pelican site makes me think you don’t have enough space. Yes, they fit and you’re adding foam. But your plan is to remove foam too. Will your mandolins be adequately secure when your case is thrown? Will the top flex when it has a bunch of bags on top of it? Good luck!

All I can see is the case weight combined with the inner case weights and instrument weights alone, wheels or no wheels I don’t know how much I’d want to try hauling that along with and other luggage through an airport, or anywhere else. Yes, it would probably be good protection but, it also begs to be stolen!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

It seems to work for you, so well done!

The price is right and you’re working with what you have. Those Reunion Blues leather cases are nice and are well padded. I would throw in some sort of padding or clothing if you’re travelling so that the cases don’t move around in the big Pelican case. If you are flying you will have to check it. With that said, it’s one less case to carry and it’s well protected!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I checked a Pelican 1615 Air case full of metrology equipment (i.e., very heavy, very expensive, very delicate) and a headless travel guitar during international travel this summer. I had the metrology equipment in a case, then my whole family's jackets surrounding the guitar.

You guys are overthinking it. These cases are literally made for this. As long as there's some kind of padding around the instrument (those leather gig bags are more than adequate), your instrument is safer in one of these things than it is while you're playing it!

14. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Perhaps take them out of your cases, ans lay out how they will fit in the space within the case, ..

Draw Outlines measure thicknesses and depths ... then you have data and images to work from...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

As with every case, it has advantages and disadvantages. Obviously price is a huge advantage, as is the ability to carry a single instrument by itself in one of the gig bags, if and when that would be appropriate. Those two factors alone would make me consider it if I needed a double case.

You've already mentioned weight as a disadvantage. If you had to regularly carry it a long ways while walking, it would get pretty unwieldy. But I'm not aware of very many options, other than carrying two cases; one hand held and the other as a backpack.

The main thing for any case is: does it meet your protection needs? I would think that would work in most cases. I would want more research before using it as a flight case, like perhaps designing a drop test.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

& I think they're air right.. water proof, so Consider: cabin air pressure will be different when in the air,
    and on either end of your trip's altitude on the ground..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture