Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment = MAS Cure

Default Disappointment = MAS Cure

I thought I had won the lottery when I happened to surf a well known chain store's used Gibson mandolin listings and saw a 2002 F5 Fern up for sale Saturday for $4000. It was in Athens, GA. Of course the pics were blurry and the condition description was generic, but I confirmed with a customer service rep that I'd have the 45 day satisfaction guarantee return policy even though the item was used. So I punched in the numbers for six different gift cards (none more than $20) and then my bank card number and bought my first Gibson mandolin. Or so I thought.

The business withdrew $4000+ from my account but never sent me a tracking number. Monday evening I logged into my chain store account. Though the online listing had said the mandolin was in stock and ready to ship, the order now said the item was backordered. How do you backorder a used Fern? Haha

So I contacted customer service. They said it must have sold in the store. They asked if I wanted to replace my order with something else. I jokingly said they could sell me a new Fern for $4k. Service rep said she'd refund my money. Last I looked, I was still $4000 + short in my bank account. So I have that going for me. Lol

Yeah, yeah, if it's too good to be true and all that jazz. Haha. Hey, you can't fault a guy for taking a shot. On the positive side, the huge swing from cloud nine to dirt bottom cured my MAS. I no longer want to surf the classifieds just to see what's out there.

Man, guess I don't have to worry about pick click on that Florida. But oh, how I wanted to hear it. Haha

Based on a number of posts I read regarding somewhat similar experiences, I suspect one of the employees ended up with it. Oh well.

===========

Default Re: Disappointment = MAS Cure

Yep, a 'disappointment' experience with an F9 cured me too.

After shelling out more money than I ever payed for an instrument before, I found that I hated the mandolin. The return was a hassle and I have never cared to buy a mandolin in that price range, ever again.

Sorry, that stinks...
    Chuck

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Mc != gc

I saw that posted on GC and debated. Sorry to hear of your tale of woe. But I guess the upshot is a cure for MAS. And that's a good thing. Just think of all the time you gain not feeding MAS by viewing classifieds. And that is a good thing. :-)

FWIW. Once bought a used electric mandolin from this vendor. Payment taken by seller. Next day they sent an email saying that it had already been sold before I bought it. Refund came through several days later. This will be the last transaction ever with them.

Why purchase from a company who's stated purpose is to put the small mom and pop stores out of business?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Buckingham For This Useful Post:

What didn't you like about the F9?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post

After shelling out more money than I ever payed for an instrument before, I found that I hated the mandolin. The return was a hassle and I have never cared to buy a mandolin in that price range, ever again.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Blog Entries

Yes some dealers/sellers are a disappointment no doubt about it! But that shouldn't stop you from any other search's on your mandolin quest as there are many "good/great" dealers/people to deal with from here on the café to the many dealers who have been around for decades!

I know sometimes it can be a hassle, one example happened to me years ago, I went to a well know mainly guitar shop in NY around 1999 or 2000 and they had an old beat up pre-war Martin D-18 just hanging on the wall along with a well worn 50's Telecaster, I asked to see and play the Martin as I was interested and you know what the salesman said? I bet you all can guess "sorry you don't have that much money!" Needless to say I didn't buy anything and soon left and never went back! And at that time I already had some high end stuff, mandolins and guitars and now a 24 Loar and other pre-war F-5's and other rare birds! I think a load of these so called salesman judge a book by the cover so to speak-sure I was in my early 20's at the time probably in a Grateful Dead or Phish T-shirt and shorts? Well they lost a sale and a customer for life! I've used some of the same people and dealers for a long time now.

For very honest dealers/individuals I've found and have had great dealing with Charles Johnson "Mandolin World Headquarters" since around 2000
    Gruhns since 1997-still have my first serious instrument from George from 1997!
    Elderly Instruments I've been dealing with since the mid 90's
    Tony Williamson since around 2000
    Dexter Johnson "Carmel Music company" since 2004
    Banana "Lowel Levenger" a long time
    Eric Schoenberg a long time as well
    Dawg and countless others from other great shops and too many to list right here on the café!

Just do some homework and you'll be alright, on another note Guitar Center is a place most should stay away from unless you get a deal and know how to fix/set things up! I know way too many horror stories from that chain!

11. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Sorry, that's a bummer, for sure!

Another way to look at it is that Guitar Center gets some real bargains, mostly due to the fact that they don't care -- which oddly enough, sometimes works in your favor if you happen to be in the store at the right time. Needless to say, the bargains don't last long.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    What didn't you like about the F9?
    Well, frankly - everything. I must have been incredibly unlucky and gotten a real dog, because the action was not great (even after many attempted adjustments), and the tone was essentially no better than the inexpensive 'The Loar' that I had at the time. It was after that debacle that I realized that I am not worthy of a $4,000+ instrument, and decided to stick with my Kentucky KM-272. If by some miracle my playing does actually improve someday to the point where I can become a real mandolin player, and I could use a much more expensive instrument, I will most certainly play before I buy, and avoid the disappointment again.

I do and have worked with my local "mom and pop" dealer. That's where I bought my first mandolin. Spruce Tree Music. I'd love it if he got something that interested me in. I check his inventory regularly. But I can't buy what he doesn't have.

I was considering taking a road trip (to a forum sponsor or one of the other places cited here) in January or February to play a bunch. I'll probably still do that. Not in January, though, because a huge buck showed up on camera and I still have a buck tag. Haha. And of course, maybe by the end of the month the funds will finally be returned. Lol

3 times in 2019 the Local GC ripped me off when I purchased an instrument with an expectation of picking it up the following day.

In all three cases I showed up the following morning to pick up the instrument, only to be told that it was sold via the internet out of state.

I finally filed a formal complaint to GC HQ and it was confirmed, employees purchased the instrument. There was no apology or compensation.

GC continues to meet my expectations after 3 decades of patronage.

In that price range you can buy a new Girouard and you WON'T be disappointed !

That's sad to hear. When I've returned items to GC, it usually takes 2 or three days before the refund appears on the account.

Sorry to hear that an employee probably got it. Pretty sure a mandolin I purchased and returned through GC earlier this (now past) year got grabbed by an employee at another store. It went from the store where I returned it to another local one for about 3 days, then - poof - off the website.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Well, frankly - everything. I must have been incredibly unlucky and gotten a real dog, because the action was not great (even after many attempted adjustments), and the tone was essentially no better than the inexpensive 'The Loar' that I had at the time. It was after that debacle that I realized that I am not worthy of a $4,000+ instrument, and decided to stick with my Kentucky KM-272. If by some miracle my playing does actually improve someday to the point where I can become a real mandolin player, and I could use a much more expensive instrument, I will most certainly play before I buy, and avoid the disappointment again.
    I played a used F9 a couple of months ago that left me with the same impression. Maybe with a great set-up and some time getting to know it when I wasn't playing it in the middle of the shop with eight strangers listening it might have grown on me, but it was no match for what I already had.

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post

I know sometimes it can be a hassle, one example happened to me years ago, I went to a well know mainly guitar shop in NY around 1999 or 2000 and they had an old beat up pre-war Martin D-18 just hanging on the wall along with a well worn 50's Telecaster, I asked to see and play the Martin as I was interested and you know what the salesman said? I bet you all can guess "sorry you don't have that much money!" Needless to say I didn't buy anything and soon left and never went back! And at that time I already had some high end stuff, mandolins and guitars and now a 24 Loar and other pre-war F-5's and other rare birds! I think a load of these so called salesman judge a book by the cover so to speak-sure I was in my early 20's at the time probably in a Grateful Dead or Phish T-shirt and shorts? Well they lost a sale and a customer for life! I've used some of the same people and dealers for a long time now.
    When something like this happens, just ask their name, and then casually retort "oh I'm actually here to buy the place, and you'll be working for me tomorrow" while pretending to make a note on a pad or device.
    That trick has gotten several people I know much better treatment than they otherwise got
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

Guitar Center? 20 years ago they had guitars. Now, only guitar shaped objects. Some of them say Guild or Gibson or what ever. One might buy an amp or electronic gear there but a real instrument? Feh!
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Last week I needed guitar strings. Closest store is a GC. Oh no says I, but I'm in a hurry. But how bad could buying a set of guitar strings be? In and out. Simple. Well, I go over to the string isle and half the racks are empty. I was looking for Martin lifespan mediums. Nothing. Oh well, D'Addarios then. Nothing. Over on the check out counter, I found some Martin 3 packs. OK, that will do. Then I waited 15 minutes in a register line.

But don't let one crappy outfit deter you. Plenty of fine dealers where you can spend your four grand wisely. And the classifieds here. You will be glad you did.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

yeah I feel your pain.
    I too tried to purchase a les paul that was there, then was sold before I could process the payment.
    Stuff happens. 4k for an 02 fern was a steal, short of some huge issue.

I have dealt with GC for decades.
    I have purchased many instruments there, some very pricey.
    more often I have found some great deals.
    I have gotten some more than good deals, in fact steals.

martin d 41, rare rosewood, les paul, byrdland, martin authentic, matchless amp, and some great geib cases for less than anyplace else.

I like the no worry, no- fighting- with- the -store -owner- about- wishing -to -return. (has happened once with a small store, once with gc, night and day experience.

Its a retail store. They hire some that know some things, others that don't know.
    Its the holidays. GC isn't the only store out of stock, sizes, etc.

I never quite understand the vitriol. I don't hear this about large regional grocery chains, department stores, etc.

I can say, here in Denver, I have had lovely warm talks with small music store owners, felt kinship, and yet, when it comes to comfort and peace of mind, I prefer a seller who doesn't take the return personally, which I have experienced.

Agree with stevedenver, the vintage/used deals I have bought from Guitar Center far outweigh any hassles. Granted, they have all been "in person" deals, rather than mail order. Also, many times I have seen vintage cases leaning against the counter and they have just given them to me -- saying they were going to put them in the dumpster??? The logic being, rather than "give" someone the original vintage case with a guitar, they would rather upsell a new non-original case or gig bag, resulting in an additional purchase. (strange logic to a vintage guy like me, but remember it is a "profit deal" as Steve Martin would say...) I've also seen nice used Les Paul cases for $14.95......which I promptly bought. The nearest guitar center to me is 73 miles each way and it is extremely frustrating to think what they must give away on a daily basis but I can't go everyday because I have work to do! In addition, I sell GC 6-8 guitars a year as they are a ready buyer. Most of these are "flips" I got at the pawn shop -- some I "owned" less than an hour before selling to GC! Like stevedenver says about their return policy, selling to them is just as easy. If it is used, clean, and a Gibson, Martin, or Fender they will pay 60-70 percent of their used selling price, which is easily researched on their website. They might offer 60 percent, but will quickly go to 70 percent, if you say something like "I was hoping for a little more." (with any luck you bought it for 40-50 percent of used retail at the pawn shop....get it?) These transactions take less than 15 minutes. If you are selling vintage, then it takes a little longer, they have to send digital pics to their home office and they give you an offer. Again, all super friendly and weirdly, completely impersonal -- the employee has no skin in the game -- the money comes from someplace else -- unlike most mom and pop's. Many times I have sold them vintage Gibson acoustics that book for insane prices and I know would take me a couple years to find a retail buyer for on my own -- yep, 70 percent sounds good and let them worry about finding the retail buyer, FWIW. A quick tip -- I try to use the same guy each time when selling, seems to work out better. I just call to see if he is working that day.

Back to the mandolin in question -- this is one of the areas where stuff falls between the cracks at GC. Might have been purchased by an $8 an hour heavy metal fan who hates acoustic music and knows if he buys it for 60 percent or less he won't get into trouble at work.....that type of thing. And, again, 60 percent of what? What it cost new in 2002? Or 60 percent of what it cost used in 2005? It's all monopoly money since the employee is just punching a clock, IMHO.

This thread, especially Jeff's post, has made me curious about Guitar Center stores. I have never been in one, preferring instead the small, Mom and Pop operations. Having my own small business that has been hurt badly by the corporate giants, I choose where I spend my money strategically, as best I can. Still, I try not to be too dogmatic. I think I'll pay a visit to a GC when I next pass one, just to see what they are all about. I might learn something.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Just thought of another tip. If you find something you want, call the store if possible before buying. That way an employee will hopefully have the item in hand if you decide to buy.

Plus, I've been lucky enough to have an employee text me photos of the item if there is something specific I want to see.

Guess that advice would work with all stores, not just GC.

I would say my personal experience at GC has not been horrible so far. I bought a very nice D28 Authentic 1937 there with a trade which they were very fair on and also cut the price of the guitar by quite a bit. Again, I was there with cash in hand and saw/played the guitar first hand. I can see how a mail order type deal could go sour. I am with most who would rather deal with mom and pops but sometimes I can't find what I want so I resort to the bigger stores. All and all I'm not a huge GC fan but I have done a small amount of business there in the past with success.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    3 times in 2019 the Local GC ripped me off when I purchased an instrument with an expectation of picking it up the following day.

In all three cases I showed up the following morning to pick up the instrument, only to be told that it was sold via the internet out of state.

I finally filed a formal complaint to GC HQ and it was confirmed, employees purchased the instrument. There was no apology or compensation.

GC continues to meet my expectations after 3 decades of patronage.
    It's all about where you set those expectations

I've personally had good experiences buying gear from GC and also Musician's Friend, but haven't bought an instrument from them yet. I've had good experiences with employees who knew their stuff and some meh experiences with those who were just punching their clock. The key is to go in knowing what you need/want and not relying on them to help you decide what you need/want. When I was trading my mandocello for an OM at TMS recently they gladly gave me a dreadnaught guitar box to ship it in. I've returned an amp once that was no hassle at all.

I'm all for supporting my local shop when I can, but they tend to not have what I need outside of guitar supplies.
    Chuck