Thread: Pickup options for an F hole octive mandolin

Default Pickup options for an F hole octive mandolin

For my next project I have started an F hole guitar bodied octave mandolin and I am wondering what options are available for a pickup. I have used the K&K twins but would like to know if there are preamp pickups that the battery can be mde accesable with the F holes.

Default Re: Pickup options for an F hole octive mandolin

Even the most elegant solution to an on board 9v is clunky to me. Check out the rechargeable MISI endpin jack pre. I had the back off a cheap birch archtop so I glued some JJB pickups in it. I'd just have a RedEye to use. Much simpler.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I have used the K&K twins but have had issues with sufficient gain on some mixers I was feeding. I have also used an AKG C411 external mike, but the sticky stuff makes a mess out of the top, and not all mixers have phantom power. I was not aware of a rechargeable endpin jack; I will look it up.
    Bob Schmidt

+1 for the MISI endpin jack. I fitted one to a solid bass with an undersaddle piezo which hummed from the day it was fitted - problem solved! (There was nowhere to install a battery). They charge with a wall wart through the socket. Plug ‘em in to the mains for two minutes and your’e good to go for hours!

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Headway make an undersaddle transducer which has a built in pre-amp that requires a 9v battery. However, it can be simply modified to run off phantom power from one of their external pre-amps ( via a stereo lead) hence eliminating the need for an on-board battery. I used this set-up to good effect on many instruments and the players speak very highly of them. The only downside is having to drill a hole through the top.
    Cheers Gary

8. The following members say thank you to GarY Nava for this post:

Eddie Blevins made an f-style octave for me and I specified the K&K pickup. I've had nothing but good luck with them. One of my mandolins also has a Schertler pickup and it has also worked quite well.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

10. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

It has been a long standing peeve of mine that so many K&K users pay no attention to the manual that clearly states that a pre amp is needed. This should be pounded home by every installer before every installation, but I fear they feel they'd lose business if their customers felt they had to spend even more money.

As an aside, you'd be surprised how many Taylor owners don't know about the LED battery indicator clearly visible on the pre amp circuit board visible through the soundhole. I guess we are all guilty of not reading instruction manuals.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

12. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    It has been a long standing peeve of mine that so many K&K users pay no attention to the manual that clearly states that a pre amp is needed. This should be pounded home by every installer before every installation, but I fear they feel they'd lose business if their customers felt they had to spend even more money.
    Anyone who does their research hears this, but yes I agree.

I know that I would have been better off listening to advice here and going with a RedEye preamp instead of saving a few bucks and going K+K. Have been very happy with the RedEye - effects loop, boost button, and just a great natural sound.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

14. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Anyone who does their research hears this, but yes I agree.

I know that I would have been better off listening to advice here and going with a RedEye preamp instead of saving a few bucks and going K+K. Have been very happy with the RedEye - effects loop, boost button, and just a great natural sound.
    The RedEye was originally designed for fiddles, so no surprise it works for mandolins.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

16. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Where can I get the MISI endpin jack ? Looking up eBay but found none.

18. The following members say thank you to kkmm for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    Where can I get the MISI endpin jack ? Looking up eBay but found none.
    Google it. There are several dealers out there.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

20. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

i looked at the MISI site, and the only pickup option is an under saddle pickup. Will they work with any pickup? This is an archtop, so the under saddle will not work. It is a very interesting option though.
    I looked up the redeye preamp and that appears to be an external (belt or strap mounted?) preamp. I was wondering if there was anything else internal to the instrument. It looks like the MISI is an alternative if it can be wired to the K&K pickups.
    Bob Schmidt

The RedEye is probably best "mounted" on the floor to make better use of the boost button. It is completely separate from the instrument. I've used mine with a Schertler, K&K and L.R. Baggs pickup. It has an internal battery but can also be used with phantom power.
    David Hopkins

23. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

The MISI pickup works by using the capacitance of the pickup to power the unit.They are a matched set. It only works with the MISI pickup unless you send them a pickup and they will build you a preamp to match the pickup. I have done that in the past and they are very good to work with. I sent them a Fishman mandolin saddle pickup and they built me a preamp to match the capacitance of the Fishman. I use a RedEye now as I like the external preamp.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!