Thread: Introduction / Phoenix Standard

Default Introduction / Phoenix Standard

Hi,

This s my first post, I wanted to introduce myself and show you guys the new toy I just ordered.

My name is Jim, and I’m a habitual dabbler. In the past I’ve played drums, then guitar, and decided about six months ago to get something more portable to bring to a bluegrass festival, so I bought a secondhand Eastman mandolin and fell in love.
    Wasn’t too long before I got the sickness, and rattled than go through many rounds of MAS I decided to try to skip right to the end. So, after some research on this site I just made a bit of a reckless impulse purchase and ordered this: https://musicfolk.com/product/phoeni...dard-mandolin/

(Had to check with the wife first to make sure that this wouldn’t precipitate the filing of divorce papers...)

My thinking was that I would rather put my money into a single mandolin that was versatile, rather than buy one mandolin for bluegrass, another for Neapolitan music, etc. Plus I’m a sucker for the two-point look.

Any comments are welcome, but if I overpaid please don’t tell me 😏. (From what I’ve read though these instruments are very highly regarded, so if this is in decent shape I feel this was a fair price. Also fwiw the folks at musicfolk, who I have no relationship with, have been very helpful and responsive to my questions so far).

So now assuming this checks out when I receive it I’ll never need to buy another mandolin as long as I live. Although those arch top body Octave mandolins sure do look nice 😉

Anyway, love the forum, and thanks to all those whose work makes it possible and to rose who provide all of this invaluable information!

Peace,
    Jim

Dave Sheets

Default Re: Introduction / Phoenix Standard

That's a nice looking mandolin. You seldom go wrong buying quality instruments, used is even better. Enjoy!
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Default Re: Introduction / Phoenix Standard

Congrats Jimmy,
    Phoenix mandolins are super!
    I’ve had the neoclassical and traded it for the Phoenix Jazz!
    You cannot go wrong with these! The built beautifully but because they don’t look like a Monroe mandolin they were offbeat mandos.
    Enjoy it through 2020 and beyond!
    Happy Picking

5. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post: